• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

We have who we have. He has 10 games to get it right. I know a lot don't believe he is capable but it's prove it time for him. If he can right the ship and get us into the playoffs, he'll be back year (much to everyone's annoyance). If we stumble and bumble over the last 10 games and miss out, he should be judged on his record.

Comment

• electricgold
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      We have who we have. He has 10 games to get it right. I know a lot don't believe he is capable but it's prove it time for him. If he can right the ship and get us into the playoffs, he'll be back year (much to everyone's annoyance). If we stumble and bumble over the last 10 games and miss out, he should be judged on his record.
      Put it this way I'm pretty sure that at this point Staley is focused on our record, and making the playoffs is his main goal. You can tell this how he answers his questions. He understands very clearly that in the NFL its a marathon and not a race. All one has to do is look at the bengals season last year and how that unfolded, its the same thing with the Chargers. If we get better week by week like all the Championship teams seem to do, then we should be playing our best football come playoff time.

If Staley & Co lose the players between now and then it will be obvious and Change will come.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

How bout you say what you want to say and I’ll say what I want to say? You bet I’m frustrated. I bet the players are too. He is in over his head. You don’t think these guys who have been playing ball most of their lives and some of them for really top rate coaches don’t know it? You’re kidding yourself. You’re the type of guy who only sees the surface. No depth. So another bullshit post from you.
        I do say what I want but i dont throw out BS speculation like it is a fact.

And dude, these players are in the highest league there is. The coaches are in the highest league there is. I dont think their pop Warner coach or college coach is better. College coaches fail at this level as well.

Staley may be over his head and that I'd agree with,.... because he lacks NFL HC experience but to say the players don't respect him is pure bullshit speculation on the Chain level.

Don't let your frustration make you blurt out crazy shit.
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 10-24-2022, 09:13 AM.

Comment

• Air Coryell
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2021
          • Carlsbad, CA
          • Teacher, Coach, CFO
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I remember it clearly - I woke up on the Saturday of the game where the Ravens played the Bills that Saturday night in the playoffs aand I saw a tweet that said Daboll to the Chargers from Schefter. I couldn't believe it - Telesco was finaly going to get it right

I was rooting for the Ravens, even playing without lamar jackson so the Bills season would end and the Chargers would get Daboll
          Alas, Schefter was wrong - the one time he was wrong and the Chargers got Staley
          And I was not happy about Staley as he was too raw and not enough experience and not enough failure. Daboll had been up and down and back up

Staley fooled me a bit with his good talking and personna. But I wanted Daboll dammit!
          Daboll has been able to tailor his offense to the players on the Giants. And brought in an experienced and successful defensive coordinator (Wink, Wink). Very impressive.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

I remember it clearly - I woke up on the Saturday of the game where the Ravens played the Bills that Saturday night in the playoffs aand I saw a tweet that said Daboll to the Chargers from Schefter. I couldn't believe it - Telesco was finaly going to get it right

I was rooting for the Ravens, even playing without lamar jackson so the Bills season would end and the Chargers would get Daboll
            Alas, Schefter was wrong - the one time he was wrong and the Chargers got Staley
            And I was not happy about Staley as he was too raw and not enough experience and not enough failure. Daboll had been up and down and back up

Staley fooled me a bit with his good talking and personna. But I wanted Daboll dammit!
            I fell for Staley too. But in hindsight, it's obvious to see that he just did not have the experience in the NFL or as a coach to be ready for a HC position.

Daboll has been in the league since 2000 (save one season at 'Bama as OC - 2017), including six seasons with the winningest franchise of the century - NE. He took an unpolished draft pick in 2018 and developed him into perhaps the league's best QB.

Staley was a college assistant who only entered the NFL in 2017 and was a coordinator for just one season.

Look at Mike McDaniel in Miami. He's 39, entered the league in 2005, and aside from two years in the UFL has been in the league since then.

Mike McConnel has the Vikes at 5-1, he's only 37 and had 12 years experience in the NFL as a player and coach when he got a HC job.

Shane Steichen is in his 11th season as a coach in the NFL (most with the Chargers) and will probably be successful when he gets his first HC job, which may be next season if the Iggles' offense keeps rolling.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post

Daboll has been able to tailor his offense to the players on the Giants. And brought in an experienced and successful defensive coordinator (Wink, Wink). Very impressive.
              Hill is not the DC - we all know its Staley. Maybe that is too much to try to both coach the game and also call plays on defense. I do wonder if he called Fangio to be an Asst HC. Again, arrogance - give up the defensive play calling. You are head football coach - not Sr Defensive Coordinator

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I fell for Staley too. But in hindsight, it's obvious to see that he just did not have the experience in the NFL or as a coach to be ready for a HC position.

Daboll has been in the league since 2000 (save one season at 'Bama as OC - 2017), including six seasons with the winningest franchise of the century - NE. He took an unpolished draft pick in 2018 and developed him into perhaps the league's best QB.

Staley was a college assistant who only entered the NFL in 2017 and was a coordinator for just one season.

Look at Mike McDaniel in Miami. He's 39, entered the league in 2005, and aside from two years in the UFL has been in the league since then.

Mike McConnel has the Vikes at 5-1, he's only 37 and had 12 years experience in the NFL as a player and coach when he got a HC job.

Shane Steichen is in his 11th season as a coach in the NFL (most with the Chargers) and will probably be successful when he gets his first HC job, which may be next season if the Iggles' offense keeps rolling.
                I just think one year wonders like McCoy and Staley are dicey to hire. He coached that great Rams defense. Well that defense had some dang good talent to. I said during the hiring process for Daboll - he has been up, he has been down. You mention McDaniel - he was with Shanahan and Kubiak with the Texans and anywhere, good or bad, Shanahan was at. I just would think having a bit of adversity for the teams you coached and not all peaches and cream would make you a better coach.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

I just would think having a bit of adversity for the teams you coached and not all peaches and cream would make you a better coach.
                  I absolutely agree with this.

Comment

• Air Coryell
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2021
                    • Carlsbad, CA
                    • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                    • Send PM

Hill is not the DC - we all know its Staley. Maybe that is too much to try to both coach the game and also call plays on defense. I do wonder if he called Fangio to be an Asst HC. Again, arrogance - give up the defensive play calling. You are head football coach - not Sr Defensive Coordinator
                    In 2022, what HC is calling defensive plays? Staley? What is the defense ranking? Bottom 5? WRONG hire.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I do say what I want but i dont throw out BS speculation like it is a fact.

And dude, these players are in the highest league there is. The coaches are in the highest league there is. Iml dont think their pop Warner coach or college coach is better. College coaches fail at this level as well.

Staley may be over his head and that I'd agree with,.... because he lacks NFL HC experience but to say the players don't respect him is pure bullshit speculation on the Chain level.

Don't let your frustration make you blurt out stupid shit.
                      It may be stupid shit or it may not. I’m speculating based on what I see which for home games is more than you see. You’re not there I am. I see the body language. You see what Fox shows you. This is a discussion board. People have opinions. I get you don’t like it and it’s touched a nerve with you. I don’t give a shit.

a good number of players on the Chargers have had other head coaches. Some of them have won Super Bowls. It’s not the difference between pop Warner or even college altho some have had top tier college coaches too. Staley is none of the above. He’s a smooth talker who isn’t as smooth anymore. He’s got a week off. Let’s see if he can fix it. Our offense is decimated with injuries. Defense not so much and that was supposed to be his specialty. There’s no excuse for how they’re playing defense. None. They can’t get stops. It’s an embarrassing display. We should all be upset and frustrated.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Send PM

I actually love the way Staley thinks and the things he wants to do. I really hope he rights the ship. The problem is it's starting to look like the players don't buy in. The defense can't stop the run or pass and since he took over as head coach they have a losing record vs losing teams but a winning record vs playoff teams. Guys get up for games when they know they're gonna be on national TV etc but the run of the mill sunday afternoon games vs seattle & jacksonville they don't care about.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
                          Being able to hire Martindale (Winky) as DC is a huge factor in the Giants and Daboll's success this year, maybe the biggest factor. Daboll was lucky to be able to hire him. I wish he were the Bolts' DC.

Comment

Working...
                          X