• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Rams have Cooper Cupp and Stafford on injured reserve along with many other starters. You sayin Chargers can play the injury card but Rams can’t?
    In the case of the Chargers, it is overwhelming injuries.

In the case of the Rams it is zero Oline and Stafford's age and neck.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2022
      • White Rock, BC Canada
      • Send PM

Rams have Cooper Cupp and Stafford on injured reserve along with many other starters. You sayin Chargers can play the injury card but Rams can’t?
      Chargers have the worst injuries in NFL. Rams are 2nd

Comment

• Riverwalk
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

In the case of the Chargers, it is overwhelming injuries.

In the case of the Rams it is zero Oline and Stafford's age and neck.
        I’m kind of digging how Jared Goff is resurrecting his career lately. He had 340 passing yards and 75.6% completion rate against the Jags last game.

coaching???

Comment

• jox g
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I think Staley probably have a great interview. We all heard his pressers at the beginning. Shit I liked him. I could see why they did. But they needed to be clear headed.

daboll’s one thing but getting wink as DC was masterful
          HOW THE INTERVIEW PROCESS SHOULD HAVE GONE! (If ownership was any good)

Spanos: So Staley, if we hire you, who do you have in mind for OC
          Staley: Lombardi from the Saints
          Spanos (Thinking....Hmmmm 2014, (1 yr) + .5 yrs in 2015 (before getting fired)

Spanos: Who would your DC be?
          Staley: I was thinking I would call the plays. Install R. Hill (since he knows my scheme) as "DC" (title only.)
          Spanos: Thinking... Hmmmm. Dude wants to be HC AND DC. (Split duties. Bound to be a STEEP learning curve. After all, this isn't POP WARNER.")

Spanos: And your ST coordinator?
          Staley: Derius Swinton
          Spanos: Hold on ...lemme Google him....(opens laptop...Googles...Hmmmm Asst ST experience only.) So zero experience. I recall, we've had DUMB special teams play over the years and Staley wants to hire this guy? Hmmm

Spanos: Thanks for your time Staley. We will call you.

Waits for Dabol to finish Playoff game. Interviews him.
          Spanos: Same line of questioning.
          Dabol's OC (a steal from the Chiefs!) 2 yrs pass game coordinator (Under that ELITE coach Reid)! Pair him w/ Herbert! GIve us insights on our arch nemesis. Hmmmm.
          Dabol's DC: 4 yrs experience (As a stud ex RAVEN too). Bound to know that potential playoff team should we face them. Hmmmm
          ST Coordinator:8 yrs experience?! YES! We'e needed someone who knows what their doing.
          This hire is a *&(*)*S No Brainer!!! You're hired. I also like DaBolts as a cool name....we could sell some cool merch w/ that one!
          Good thing we are Football Savvy People! Lookout NFL!
          Herbert w/ these offensive firepower guys.
          Khalil Mack/Bosa/James etc w/ and ex RAVEN Defensive Mind!
          Experienced ST coaching!!!
          YES!!!

You're hired Brian Dabol!!! Welcome to the Charger Family....

I emailed to to DS and JS (Spani). Hope they LEARN. Hire Jeff Ireland (currently Asst GM w/ Saints) Promote to GM. Work well w/ Payton (Give up the 1st rd pick.) Get a DE w/ 2nd rd. Center w/ 3rd. ILB (4th) and Free agent . Cut declining KA, bring in Jarvis Landry (Jeff Irelands pick from GM of Dolphin Days) for $2.5 mil instead (same age.....better catch radius this year.) Also bring in Marquez Calloway
          OR Harbaugh and his assistants (experienced too.) Jon Robinson as GM. Dreamin.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

I’m kind of digging how Jared Goff is resurrecting his career lately. He had 340 passing yards and 75.6% completion rate against the Jags last game.

coaching???
            Smokin' .
            And here comes Baker to LAR.
            LOL.
            It is all gonna get interesting Sir.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post
              The Rams have a Super Bowl.
              Only because that 49ers DB gifted them one.

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Bringing up how Brady and Peyton won Super Bowls with two different teams is completely irrelevant to the point I was making. Aside from the reality Peyton couldn't throw the ball over 15 yards in 2015, he was benched for a handful of games in favor of Brock Osweiler that year, and Tom Brady won his Super Bowl with the Bucs when the Chiefs had junior varsity level offensive linemen blocking for Mahomes, quarterback and head coach are completely different positions.

And Bill Parcells never had a great quarterback. Simms, Hostetler, Bledsoe, Testaverde, and Romo were all good enough to win with, though. Jimmy Johnson had Dan Marino in Miami. Mike Ditka never had a great quarterback. Mike Holmgren turned Matt Hasselback into a Pro Bowler in Seattle. Tom Flores never had a great quarterback. The only head coaches who had major downgrades at quarterback with their second teams were George Seifert and Mike Shanahan.
                Simms was the 7th overall pick of draft. He was Superbowl MVP who hold record for highest completion percentage in Superbowl. 2 time pro bowl QB. 1 time All pro. He was a great QB. Testevrde and Bledsoe we're number 1 overall picks and we're pro bowl QBs. Those are talented QBs to work with.

Ditka benefits from league not ready for the 46 defense which blitz the league. Once the NFL teams adjusted that was it for the Bears dominate defense. They would have won more with a better QB.

Plunkett was a very talented QB which is why he was the 1st pick of the draft. So Flores wasnt exactly working with a guy off the street when he wins 2 SBs with Jim at QB.

Speaking of guys off the street.
                Kurt Warner took 2 teams to Superbowl.

And speaking of others off the street. Barry Switzer went on a great ride with Aikman and the stacked with talent Dallas team.

Coaching matters.
                But players win matchups and make game winning plays.
                QB matters most.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Critty
                  Dominate the Day.
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Not sure why some posters back Staley. He gives good interviews, is all touchy-feely and into kum ba yah and all, but simply doesn't get the job done. The injuries *have* been significant. But to expect a team - any team - to go through an entire season without substantial time lost to starters is a pipe dream, and that's when it falls on the coaching staff to make things work with the players that are healthy. And Staley and Co have obviously not made things work, not even a little bit.

Now some of that falls on the FO, too. If Telesco has failed to fill the roster with capable depth - which he hasn't - then that's on him. So it's really the combination of bad roster building (Telesco) and bad coaching (Staley) with the players on the roster. Not a great combination to back if you expect this team to be anything more than they have been for years, i.e., mediocre to poor.
                  They are 5-4 since losing Slater and Bosa in week 3.
                  They are on their 3rd kicker.
                  They have lost many other staters during the season.
                  I would say that is figuring out how stay somewhat competitive.
                  They have 5 games left to play.
                  I'll be watching and rooting for them to win enough games to get to post season. And rooting for them to get Bosa, Williams, Linsley back and healthy for a playoff game.

I would never root for them to lose to get coaches fired or to improve draft position. I want to see somebody build a winning program and I'm not pulling the plug on HC after 2 years and putting Herbert in his 3rd system in past 4 seasons.
                  Talk about making winning harder. This eventually turns into the Browns when you fire coaches every 2 seasons. And your always rebooting and never retooling.
                  Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Riverwalk
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

And speaking of others off the street. Barry Switzer went on a great ride with Aikman and the stacked with talent Dallas team.

Coaching matters.
                    But players win matchups and make game winning plays.
                    QB matters most.

Barry Switzer went on a great ride courtesy of Jimmy Johnson who got 18 players from the Vikings for Hershel Walker.

if you are too young or can’t remember, look it up. It’s truly staggering.

Comment

• Lightnin'
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

...as impatient as we all are, Coach Staley needs a year 3; but not a year 4.

Coach Schottenheimer went 8-8 in his first year (following Mike "Smiley" Riley), and
                      with Tomlinson, Brees, Seau & Harrison, there was reason for optimism. His 2nd
                      year, we went 4-12 and the heretofore "winner" was regularly called Marty "shit for brains"
                      on this forum.

Year 3-we won the West (yes-and lost a winnable home PO game in OT) but had an
                      exciting team to watch under an emerging QB and a roster of young defenders following
                      the departure of Seau and Harrison.

Year 4, injuries and a more difficult schedule kept us home for the PO/s.

My point is, we should give Coach Staley another year. I'm as impatient as anyone; so
                      sick of being a "fashionable" SB choice who becomes a MASH unit by the first month of
                      the season.

If he fails next year; injuries or not, it's time to move on.
                      San Diego Chargers

1961-2017

Comment

• Air Coryell
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2021
                        • Carlsbad, CA
                        • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lightnin' View Post
                        ...as impatient as we all are, Coach Staley needs a year 3; but not a year 4.

Coach Schottenheimer went 8-8 in his first year (following Mike "Smiley" Riley), and
                        with Tomlinson, Brees, Seau & Harrison, there was reason for optimism. His 2nd
                        year, we went 4-12 and the heretofore "winner" was regularly called Marty "shit for brains"
                        on this forum.

Year 3-we won the West (yes-and lost a winnable home PO game in OT) but had an
                        exciting team to watch under an emerging QB and a roster of young defenders following
                        the departure of Seau and Harrison.

Year 4, injuries and a more difficult schedule kept us home for the PO/s.

My point is, we should give Coach Staley another year. I'm as impatient as anyone; so
                        sick of being a "fashionable" SB choice who becomes a MASH unit by the first month of
                        the season.

If he fails next year; injuries or not, it's time to move on.
                        Comparing Staley with Marty is ridiculous. Marty was a proven HC and winner before he came to the Chargers. Staley has DIII HC experience and a short stint in the NFL as a want a be. Staley need to go NOW.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post

Comparing Staley with Marty is ridiculous. Marty was a proven HC and winner before he came to the Chargers. Staley has DIII HC experience and a short stint in the NFL as a want a be. Staley need to go NOW.
                          I think the level of respect players have for Staley and how hard they play needs to be factored. If the players are still behind him then I would keep him on for another year but replace the coordinators with more experience and creativity.

Lombo, in particular, isn’t helping Staley’s reputation.

Comment

Working...
                          X