Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

They are 5-4 since losing Slater and Bosa in week 3.
    They are on their 3rd kicker.
    They have lost many other staters during the season.
    I would say that is figuring out how stay somewhat competitive.
    They have 5 games left to play.
    I'll be watching and rooting for them to win enough games to get to post season. And rooting for them to get Bosa, Williams, Linsley back and healthy for a playoff game.

I would never root for them to lose to get coaches fired or to improve draft position. I want to see somebody build a winning program and I'm not pulling the plug on HC after 2 years and putting Herbert in his 3rd system in past 4 seasons.
    Talk about making winning harder. This eventually turns into the Browns when you fire coaches every 2 seasons. And your always rebooting and never retooling.
    But keeping an ineffective coach is way better than letting him go. Right.

Herbie has regressed this year. Let's expose him to a 3rd year with ineffective coaching. That's smart.

The team has not played a SINGLE, IMPRESSIVE 60-MINUTE GAME ALL SEASON. They've stayed "competitive" against bottom feeders and got lucky on a couple other wins. ALL of their wins, even by this board's standards, have been called 'ugly'. But let's keep the Head Coach and the GM. That should work. Ever hear about the 'Definition of Insanity'?

Somebody posted an article by some sportswriter that holds Staley accountable, injuries aside, for the abysmal product on the field this year. I suggest you read it. Because only the most hopeless Pollyannas can see anything positive about this season's Chargers. They are horrible. Probably bottom 7-8 in the League, regardless of W-L record.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

I’m kind of digging how Jared Goff is resurrecting his career lately. He had 340 passing yards and 75.6% completion rate against the Jags last game.

coaching???
      I mentioned my admiration for Dan Campbell much earlier and even recently in another thread. The Lions are still a bunch of scrubs for the most part, but Campbell got them playing competitive in almost every game. Even if the W-L record doesn't show it, they have been competitive in almost every game putting up close to 30 points or over in many of them -- with Jared Goff at QB and not much else (other than Jamaal Williams at RB).

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

But keeping an ineffective coach is way better than letting him go. Right.

Herbie has regressed this year. Let's expose him to a 3rd year with ineffective coaching. That's smart.

The team has not played a SINGLE, IMPRESSIVE 60-MINUTE GAME ALL SEASON. They've stayed "competitive" against bottom feeders and got lucky on a couple other wins. ALL of their wins, even by this board's standards, have been called 'ugly'. But let's keep the Head Coach and the GM. That should work. Ever hear about the 'Definition of Insanity'?

Somebody posted an article by some sportswriter that holds Staley accountable, injuries aside, for the abysmal product on the field this year. I suggest you read it. Because only the most hopeless Pollyannas can see anything positive about this season's Chargers. They are horrible. Probably bottom 7-8 in the League, regardless of W-L record.
        Your post is insane.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2022
          • White Rock, BC Canada
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Your post is insane.
          Except the part that this team has not played ONE complete good football game this whole season and has not beat one good opponent. 100% accurate

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Except the part that this team has not played ONE complete good football game this whole season and has not beat one good opponent. 100% accurate
            It is very possible to be both accurate and insane, and in this instance, additionally ironic, in usage of terms.

Comment

• Bolts0503
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2022
              • Send PM

Agree with those giving a shout out to the Lions. It is one thing to watch the hapless Bengals turn things around while we are still stuck in mediocrity, but if the Lions become more exciting than us, all is lost. Oh, didn't anyone wish Staley a Happy Anniversary Monday, 12/5? It marked a calendar year since he beat a good team.

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

And keeping the same HC and GM while expecting a different result.

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts0503 View Post
                  Agree with those giving a shout out to the Lions. It is one thing to watch the hapless Bengals turn things around while we are still stuck in mediocrity, but if the Lions become more exciting than us, all is lost. Oh, didn't anyone wish Staley a Happy Anniversary Monday, 12/5? It marked a calendar year since he beat a good team.
                  The Bengals are far better than us; the Lions are turning around their franchise; even the f*ucking Raiders seem to be getting it.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

In another thread, it was lamented that the Chargers probably will keep Telesco and Staley.

Over here, the nostrils are flaring.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

I think the level of respect players have for Staley and how hard they play needs to be factored. If the players are still behind him then I would keep him on for another year but replace the coordinators with more experience and creativity.

Lombo, in particular, isn’t helping Staley’s reputation.
                      I wonder how tied to the hip Staley is to Lombardi and if he even thinks he is a problem. People here hate Lombo, but we did have the 5th best DVOA offense last year. Does Staley think if we get some health we can return to that level? And further, the two have a long history together (remember Lombardi was Staley's OC in college one year when he was playing QB). Is this another live and die loyalty situation like Anthony Lynn and Stewart? It won't matter what happens with Hill since Staley is really the DC.

Comment

• lightsout42
                        Hire a winning coach
                        • Oct 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I wonder how tied to the hip Staley is to Lombardi and if he even thinks he is a problem. People here hate Lombo, but we did have the 5th best DVOA offense last year. Does Staley think if we get some health we can return to that level? And further, the two have a long history together (remember Lombardi was Staley's OC in college one year when he was playing QB). Is this another live and die loyalty situation like Anthony Lynn and Stewart? It won't matter what happens with Hill since Staley is really the DC.
                        That was one big red flag I saw at the time of hire: Staley bringing in his old friend rather than the best OC candidate.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

I’m kind of digging how Jared Goff is resurrecting his career lately. He had 340 passing yards and 75.6% completion rate against the Jags last game.

coaching???
                          Same. He took the Rams to a Super Bowl and they jettisoned him. The Lions have become a scoring juggernaut somehow.

Comment

Working...
                          X