Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    Ben Johnson HC
    Kellen Moore OC (if he wants to stay)
    Joe Cullen DC
    Ficken ST
    I wish the Chargers would just go ahead and fire him so that they could get a look at Kellen Moore. I just don’t want the Chargers to fire Staley and hire Moore without getting a look at him… then we’ll be stuck with him for 3 years.

Personally, I say they need a REAL proven winner type HC before they mess around and end up wasting Herbert like they did Rivers… but they should at least take a look at Moore now while they have a chance, just to see what he is capable of.

If I were the Commanders, I’d consider doing the same with Rivera and Bieniemy​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
      Harbaugh should also have a leg-up in the next few draft classes coming from college and specifically recruiting (even illegally perhaps).
      He is hungry to match and beat his brother's success at the NFL level.
      hell, he can hire greg roman if he wants to recreate that SF team. Herbert would be amazing in that offense.
      When I thought of Harbaugh as HC - my thought was David Shaw as his OC but Roman would work

It all starts with the head coach though. They set the tone. He would hire an excellent staff -- because you cannot succeed without having the staff in place

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Harbaugh has probably forgot more about football than Johnson knows. Surely BB has.

I'm not saying Johnson will surely fail but for me,.....I'm tired of the failed repeat of first time HCs. And all were fine OCs.....except for Lynn who was just a RB coach but got to be an intern HC for 1 or 2 games.

Then we likely have to put up with JohnBoy or Dean finding another cheap GM before the rookie HC debacle.
          And the new GM probably wouldn't want to deal with Harbaugh

I say do like Seattle - hire Pete Carroll who found John Schneider

Forget about having the protocal of "first the GM and than the coach" - hire the best person you can find and go from there. And like you said, Harbaugh has forgot more football than most of these coaches on the hot list. BB for sure. I felt the same way about Norval Eugence - he just couldn't translate it as well as others - but he knew the game

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

University of Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh has endured intense scrutiny in recent weeks because of the sign-stealing scandal that has engulfed his program. By season’s end, he will have served two three-game suspensions. The first was imposed by Michigan at the start of the season following alleged recruiting violations within the program, and the second by the Big Ten Conference last week in response to the current controversy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Could this entice Harbaugh, 59, to consider a return to the NFL as a head coach? There’s a belief in NFL circles that it might, almost two years after he met with the Minnesota Vikings about their opening that eventually went to Kevin O’Connell.

Harbaugh is among those expected to receive consideration in the next hiring cycle, according to a league source who has been briefed on discussions high-ranking NFL officials have had about potential head coach candidates. And two other league sources who regularly talk with teams about hiring and firing decisions said at least two teams — the Chicago Bears and Las Vegas Raiders — are believed to be among those that would appeal to Harbaugh. The individuals spoke on condition of anonymity to talk freely about the situation.

Jim Harbaugh's turbulent Michigan 2023 timeline

Last week, the Big Ten suspended Harbaugh for the rest of the regular season, saying Michigan was found to be in violation of its sportsmanship policy “for conducting an impermissible, in-person scouting operation over multiple years, resulting in an unfair competitive advantage that compromised the integrity of competition.”

Michigan is 10-0 and ranked third, behind Georgia and Ohio State, in the most recent College Football Playoff rankings. Harbaugh has denied knowing that former Michigan football staffer Connor Stalions coordinated the in-person scouting of opponents, which is against NCAA rules, and the coach has received continued public support from his university. That outward support has come despite a Wall Street Journal report that school officials recently rescinded a handsome contract extension offer for Harbaugh, who when asked about the report said: “I wouldn’t say that’s accurate, no.”

Meek: The Big Ten has a Michigan Problem. The Wolverines are angry, unapologetic — and keep winning

Yet the question about a potential return to the NFL remains.

The Raiders already have a head coaching vacancy after firing Josh McDaniels on Nov. 1. Former NFL linebacker Antonio Pierce is serving as interim head coach and is 2-0 so far. There’s no guarantee Pierce will parlay the interim job into a full-time position, however.

ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile, Matt Eberflus remains under contract with the Bears. But he faces an uncertain future given the team’s struggles at 3-7 and the lack of growth exhibited by franchise quarterback Justin Fields, who is expected to start Sunday versus the Detroit Lions after missing the past four games with a dislocated thumb.

Harbaugh’s pre-existing relationships with high-ranking members of both teams could make the head coach jobs there appealing.

Bears team president and CEO Kevin Warren knows Harbaugh from his former role as Big Ten commissioner. Harbaugh, a former quarterback, also played in Chicago for seven of his 14 NFL seasons after the Bears made him a first-round pick in 1987.

As for the Raiders, Harbaugh was the team’s quarterbacks coach from 2002 to 2003. He is friendly with team owner Mark Davis and Tom Brady, who is attempting to become a minority owner of the Raiders and who, like Harbaugh, also played quarterback for Michigan.

The Raiders, who also fired general manager Dave Ziegler last week, would seemingly also be able to offer Harbaugh the opportunity to provide input on personnel decisions.

Harbaugh coached the San Francisco 49ers from 2011 to 2014. He was the NFL’s Coach of the Year in 2011 and advanced one season later to Super Bowl XLVII, where he lost 34-31 to the Baltimore Ravens, coached by older brother John Harbaugh. Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers mutually parted ways at the conclusion of the 2014 season after multiple clashes over personnel decisions, and Michigan named him its head football coach just two days later.

Since then, he has gone 84-25 in nine seasons, with back-to-back appearances in 2021 and 2022 in the College Football Playoff.

Harbaugh said in February 2022 the potential chance to chase another Super Bowl prompted him to interview with the Vikings, who never offered him a job. Later that month, Harbaugh and Michigan agreed to a new five-year, $36.7 million contract.

ADVERTISEMENT

“There was a pull to the NFL because I got that close to the Super Bowl,” Harbaugh said then, “but this was the time (to try and return). And this is the last time. Now let’s go chase college football’s greatest prize.”

Two years later, could his tone be changing?
            P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
            P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
            P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
            P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

University of Michigan football coach Jim Harbaugh has endured intense scrutiny in recent weeks because of the sign-stealing scandal that has engulfed his program. By season’s end, he will have served two three-game suspensions. The first was imposed by Michigan at the start of the season following alleged recruiting violations within the program, and the second by the Big Ten Conference last week in response to the current controversy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Could this entice Harbaugh, 59, to consider a return to the NFL as a head coach? There’s a belief in NFL circles that it might, almost two years after he met with the Minnesota Vikings about their opening that eventually went to Kevin O’Connell.

Harbaugh is among those expected to receive consideration in the next hiring cycle, according to a league source who has been briefed on discussions high-ranking NFL officials have had about potential head coach candidates. And two other league sources who regularly talk with teams about hiring and firing decisions said at least two teams — the Chicago Bears and Las Vegas Raiders — are believed to be among those that would appeal to Harbaugh. The individuals spoke on condition of anonymity to talk freely about the situation.

Jim Harbaugh's turbulent Michigan 2023 timeline

Last week, the Big Ten suspended Harbaugh for the rest of the regular season, saying Michigan was found to be in violation of its sportsmanship policy “for conducting an impermissible, in-person scouting operation over multiple years, resulting in an unfair competitive advantage that compromised the integrity of competition.”

Michigan is 10-0 and ranked third, behind Georgia and Ohio State, in the most recent College Football Playoff rankings. Harbaugh has denied knowing that former Michigan football staffer Connor Stalions coordinated the in-person scouting of opponents, which is against NCAA rules, and the coach has received continued public support from his university. That outward support has come despite a Wall Street Journal report that school officials recently rescinded a handsome contract extension offer for Harbaugh, who when asked about the report said: “I wouldn’t say that’s accurate, no.”

Meek: The Big Ten has a Michigan Problem. The Wolverines are angry, unapologetic — and keep winning

Yet the question about a potential return to the NFL remains.

The Raiders already have a head coaching vacancy after firing Josh McDaniels on Nov. 1. Former NFL linebacker Antonio Pierce is serving as interim head coach and is 2-0 so far. There’s no guarantee Pierce will parlay the interim job into a full-time position, however.

ADVERTISEMENT

Meanwhile, Matt Eberflus remains under contract with the Bears. But he faces an uncertain future given the team’s struggles at 3-7 and the lack of growth exhibited by franchise quarterback Justin Fields, who is expected to start Sunday versus the Detroit Lions after missing the past four games with a dislocated thumb.

Harbaugh’s pre-existing relationships with high-ranking members of both teams could make the head coach jobs there appealing.

Bears team president and CEO Kevin Warren knows Harbaugh from his former role as Big Ten commissioner. Harbaugh, a former quarterback, also played in Chicago for seven of his 14 NFL seasons after the Bears made him a first-round pick in 1987.

As for the Raiders, Harbaugh was the team’s quarterbacks coach from 2002 to 2003. He is friendly with team owner Mark Davis and Tom Brady, who is attempting to become a minority owner of the Raiders and who, like Harbaugh, also played quarterback for Michigan.

The Raiders, who also fired general manager Dave Ziegler last week, would seemingly also be able to offer Harbaugh the opportunity to provide input on personnel decisions.

Harbaugh coached the San Francisco 49ers from 2011 to 2014. He was the NFL’s Coach of the Year in 2011 and advanced one season later to Super Bowl XLVII, where he lost 34-31 to the Baltimore Ravens, coached by older brother John Harbaugh. Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers mutually parted ways at the conclusion of the 2014 season after multiple clashes over personnel decisions, and Michigan named him its head football coach just two days later.

Since then, he has gone 84-25 in nine seasons, with back-to-back appearances in 2021 and 2022 in the College Football Playoff.

Harbaugh said in February 2022 the potential chance to chase another Super Bowl prompted him to interview with the Vikings, who never offered him a job. Later that month, Harbaugh and Michigan agreed to a new five-year, $36.7 million contract.

ADVERTISEMENT

“There was a pull to the NFL because I got that close to the Super Bowl,” Harbaugh said then, “but this was the time (to try and return). And this is the last time. Now let’s go chase college football’s greatest prize.”

Two years later, could his tone be changing?
              Raiders get Harbaugh that means the Chargers will be competing with Reid, Harbaugh and Payton

If thats the case - I think I would take Hoodie

Comment

• Heatmiser
                BetterToday ThanYesterday
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I really think Belicheck will go to Washington. Just a feeling I get.

Harbaugh to Chargers has some briars in it, but I can see it happening as opposed to him going to Raiders.

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                  We Are The Storm!
                  • Aug 2018
                  • Send PM

Man of the SpAnus idiots let Harbaugh go to the Turds I just might be done.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
                    After his previous issues with alcoholism, which included driving through a Wendy's drive-thru naked
                    Come on, we've all done something like this haven't we?

Seriously though, I didn't know about this. It is a red flag of course.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      BetterToday ThanYesterday
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I can see it now.. Belicheck and Harbaugh get in a bidding war to hire the Michigan assistant who stole signals for their NFL staffs.
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                        Harbaugh has probably forgot more about football than Johnson knows. Surely BB has.
                        Have Harbaugh and BB forgotten more about football than Nick Sirianni knows?
                        Norv Turner has deep football knowledge from years of experience and is one of the most successful head coaches in Chargers history.
                        Was it a mistake for the Eagles to hire Sirianni because he has less experience?

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Harbaugh should also have a leg-up in the next few draft classes coming from college and specifically recruiting (even illegally perhaps).
                          He is hungry to match and beat his brother's success at the NFL level.
                          hell, he can hire greg roman if he wants to recreate that SF team. Herbert would be amazing in that offense.
                          Harbaugh is the obvious choice. He checks all the boxes.

Comment

Working...
                          X