• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chargerville
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Norv Turner was a bad HC everywhere he went. Yes even here. AGAIN. ...he was handed. Ferrari , by his own admission and drive it around 9k til he had to figure out how to use it to it's full extent and he ran into a loser.
    I don't give a rats ass if he has a winning record with the Chargers.

AJ and Marty built that team, Marty molded that team. Norv did not.

Not every first time HC is a failure. Dean and JohnBoy just don't know how to find them or pay them enough to take the job.
    As the Chargers HC, Norv Turner never won the division (or made the playoffs) in a year where there was another team in the division with a winning record. From 2007-2011 outside of the chargers, only the 2010 Chiefs finished the season with a winning record, and during that span, the division was won by a team with an 8-8 record twice. In 2012 (facing real competition from Manning and the Broncos) the Broncos were the only AFC west team that finished the season with a winning record.

In contrast to Shottenheimer. No AFC west team in 2002 had a losing record. Two teams had a winning record in 2002, 2003 and 2004. 3 teams had winning records in 2005-2006

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      Harbaugh - stench of scandal chasing him out of college football, hasn't coached in the NFL more than a decade - just no thank you
      Belichick - Josh McDaniels as Herbert's OC? - fvck no

Give me a young hotshot OC who has been coaching offense in the NFL and has a proven track record.

Ben Johnson - yes
      Kellen Moore - yes
      Frank Smith - yes
      Isnt Miami offense designed and run by McDaniel? Where has Smith designed and implemented an offense? He was our run game coordinator / OL coach in 2021 and our run game and OL sucked ass. I dont know him well enough to know he's really an amazing coach, that feels like another Staley Leap to me?

I'll take Ben from your list.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Heatmiser
        BetterToday ThanYesterday
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

During the Lynn hiring process, they interviewed a bunch of defensive coaches - and I thought - after Norv and McCoy - a good change. I think they interviewed McDermott, Mike Smith (former coach of the Falcons) - I had to look it up, Dave Toub (ST coach of the Chiefs), Matt Patricia, Teryl Austin and Vance Joseph. And yet they went back to their Offense background.

2021 with Staley: the eight were Eberflus, Garrett, Arthur Smith, Joe Brady, Daboll, Bieniemy, Saleh and Staley. From that group, Staley was near the bottom just ahead of Brady. I just didn't think a one year wonder was the guy to hire. My top three were Daboll... than I think Saleh and Garrett.
        Thanks for the history. I am too lazy to look things up! I really liked Saleh but he got hired almost immediately. I also liked what I saw and read about Toub but he seems to have dropped off the NFL HC radar?

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

He didn't make personnel decisions, AJ Smith did. You know that. AJ gave him the ingredients, Norv's job was to cook with them. And Norv did cook for a number of seasons. The recipes went bad when AJ Smith started giving him lousy ingredients.
          Norv has his input just like Staley who many believe is helping our drafts.

It was Norv who wanted Buster Davis for one.
          Norvs cooking sucked when our OL wasn't worth a crap and Norv kept calling those 7 step drop backs and Rivers had no time to throw.
          It the screen pass didn't work, Norv had nothing else up his sleeve to combat those pass rushes.

Granted AJ didn't help.

So you saying you would want Norv to be the HC if this team again?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Harbaugh - stench of scandal chasing him out of college football, hasn't coached in the NFL more than a decade - just no thank you
            Belichick - Josh McDaniels as Herbert's OC? - fvck no

Give me a young hotshot OC who has been coaching offense in the NFL and has a proven track record.

Ben Johnson - yes
            Kellen Moore - yes
            Frank Smith - yes
            Frank Smith has a track record of what?

Harbaugh would kick all of these guys asses next year with the same exact players
            Same with Hoodie even with josh mcdaniels as his OC

I am going to be a broken record but under Dean Spanos ownership and the Spanos family in general - experience as a HC matters. It just does --

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Norv has his input just like Staley who many believe is helping our drafts.

It was Norv who wanted Buster Davis for one.
              Norvs cooking sucked when our OL wasn't worth a crap and Norv kept calling those 7 step drop backs and Rivers had no time to throw.
              It the screen pass didn't work, Norv had nothing else up his sleeve to combat those pass rushes.

Granted AJ didn't help.

So you saying you would want Norv to be the HC if this team again?
              I don't agree, but whatever. You let your anti-Norv bias influence you.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Isnt Miami offense designed and run by McDaniel? Where has Smith designed and implemented an offense? He was our run game coordinator / OL coach in 2021 and our run game and OL sucked ass. I dont know him well enough to know he's really an amazing coach, that feels like another Staley Leap to me?

I'll take Ben from your list.
                I'd prefer Johnson, but don't disregard Smith.

Smith is the offensive coordinator of one of the best, most innovative offenses in the NFL. So how come so few people know who he is?

Comment

• electricgold
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2020
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                  I think history vindicated Harbaugh and Baalke was shown to be the problem? Sort of like the AJ-Shotty battle.

TG
                  Yep and the sign stealing case has now been closed so I would think all is clear for the Chargers to hire him this off-season!

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Send PM

Assuming...

Staley is fired and the new head coach is offensive.

And the Colts move on from Gus Bradley after this season.

Would you want Bradley back as DC?

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
                      Yep and the sign stealing case has now been closed so I would think all is clear for the Chargers to hire him this off-season!
                      He admitted guilt and agreed to the suspension. No gracias señor​.

With his long-term future at Michigan still uncertain, Harbaugh is expected to be a candidate of interest for NFL head coach openings.

Comment

• electricgold
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2020
                        • Send PM

I'd prefer Johnson, but don't disregard Smith.

https://theathletic.com/4885707/2023...e-coordinator/
                        Sorry no more first time Head coaches for the Chargers & Herbert that ship has sailed. It's Jim Harbaugh as plan A or BB as plan B!

Comment

• electricgold
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2020
                          • Send PM

He admitted guilt and agreed to the suspension. No gracias señor​.

With his long-term future at Michigan still uncertain, Harbaugh is expected to be a candidate of interest for NFL head coach openings.
                          He accepted the sanction to return the focus to the student athletes and their performance on the field.

Comment

Working...
                          X