• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NOrvMeNow
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2023
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post
    I'm kind of warming up to the idea of Brian Flores.

Of all the Belichick disciples... he seems to be his own man.

His Miami teams got in trouble for winning too much. (and they were talent poor at that time)

He was fired for his going public with how they tried to bribe him to lose games.

He's done a pretty good job with the Minnesota defense this year. (that defense was terrible last year)

But... who would he bring in as an OC?

I'm out on Belichick. He's too old.

I'm out on Frank Reich too. He's been a disaster. Remember he was our OC here, and got replaced/fired. He then went to Philly and was the OC for Pederson. (Pederson called the plays). He parlayed that into the Colts HC job...in which he got a new qb every year, and never went anywhere. He then goes to Carolina and has been in charge of that dumpster fire.

I don't want Dan Quinn, either.

Right now it's Brian Flores, and everyone else.
    I'd be fine with Brian Flores ... unique situation like Don Coryell and Marty Schottenheimer:
    available head coaches who didn't fail, but butted heads with GM/ownership and were sent packing.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post
      I'm kind of warming up to the idea of Brian Flores.

Of all the Belichick disciples... he seems to be his own man.

His Miami teams got in trouble for winning too much. (and they were talent poor at that time)

He was fired for his going public with how they tried to bribe him to lose games.

He's done a pretty good job with the Minnesota defense this year. (that defense was terrible last year)

But... who would he bring in as an OC?

I'm out on Belichick. He's too old.

I'm out on Frank Reich too. He's been a disaster. Remember he was our OC here, and got replaced/fired. He then went to Philly and was the OC for Pederson. (Pederson called the plays). He parlayed that into the Colts HC job...in which he got a new qb every year, and never went anywhere. He then goes to Carolina and has been in charge of that dumpster fire.

I don't want Dan Quinn, either.

Right now it's Brian Flores, and everyone else.
      I like Quinn - did a solid job in Atlanta. Granted, had a good OC so that would be needed. Has done a good job with the Dallas defense (good coaching staff too - that shows me a lot that he can mentor other coaches).

Flores - you bring up good points - again, who would the OC be?

I would be fine with either if it isn't Harbaugh because both Quinn and Flores have a couple things going for them 1) experience 2) the first job ended poorly and they might want to get back at it

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2022
        • White Rock, BC Canada
        • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

I'd be fine with Brian Flores ... unique situation like Don Coryell and Marty Schottenheimer:
        available head coaches who didn't fail, but butted heads with GM/ownership and were sent packing.
        NO

Lets get an offensive coach and maximize Herbert like the smart organizations have done with their franchise QBs

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

NO

Lets get an offensive coach and maximize Herbert like the smart organizations have done with their franchise QBs
          The head coach can hire a good offensive coordinator - find the right HEAD coach. Offense or defense - doesn't matter. It truly is about finding the right leader. Marty was a defense/special teams guy - worked out okay.

I

Comment

• Berserker76
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The head coach can hire a good offensive coordinator - find the right HEAD coach. Offense or defense - doesn't matter. It truly is about finding the right leader. Marty was a defense/special teams guy - worked out okay.

I
            This. Get a head coach that can lead & discipline. Leadership is an undervalued talent these days.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
              Beef Before Gazelles
              • May 2021
              • Send PM

My observation:

* Some people were ready to move on from Brandon Staley after several failures on 4th & Short.

* Others were ready to move on from Staley when the team infamously blew a 27-3 lead vs. Jacksonville in the playoffs

* Others weren't ready to throw in the towel on Staley until he had fired all three of his initial Coordinator hires within two years. (Nothing says "What the hell was the guy thinking?!?" like firing the coaches YOU chose after only brief terms of service.)

* Now the team-- which had stratospheric expectations for this season-- sits at 4-7, and possesses the same problems that have plagued them for the entirety of Staley's tenure.

*Is there any reason at all left to think that the ship can be righted? Anyone? Bueller?

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                Beef Before Gazelles
                • May 2021
                • Send PM

The head coach can hire a good offensive coordinator - find the right HEAD coach.

I
                I think this was supposed to be the idea with Anthony Lynn. This strategy doesn't always work out, either.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

This. Get a head coach that can lead & discipline. Leadership is an undervalued talent these days.
                  I know the playoff record but I respect Marty more and more every year (and he didn't wear a head set or call plays) - he just walked around and coached, talked, screamed, whatever

1) teacher -- his teams got better over time
                  2) communicator
                  3) motivator
                  4) leader
                  5) mentor to both players and assistant coaches

I want somebody that can coach the players to get better -- or hire assistants that help the players get better and that can work "Mon - Sat" either via game planning or practice to prepare for that Sunday opponent,. And if the game plan isn't working, rip it up and try again.

Comment

• Boltx
                    Dominate the day
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I know the playoff record but I respect Marty more and more every year (and he didn't wear a head set or call plays) - he just walked around and coached, talked, screamed, whatever

1) teacher -- his teams got better over time
                    2) communicator
                    3) motivator
                    4) leader
                    5) mentor to both players and assistant coaches

I want somebody that can coach the players to get better -- or hire assistants that help the players get better and that can work "Mon - Sat" either via game planning or practice to prepare for that Sunday opponent,. And if the game plan isn't working, rip it up and try again.
                    He made some bizarre calls during playoff games but he also was the victim of some really flukey, bad luck stuff.

He overall was a great coach. Aside from that bad 2003 year, I always thought his teams were prepared, physical and ready to play.
                    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Air Coryell
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2021
                      • Carlsbad, CA
                      • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                      • Send PM

Dave Toub, Kansas City Chiefs assistant head coach/special teams coordinator

​Then let him hire his DC and OC.

Comment

• Air Coryell
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2021
                        • Carlsbad, CA
                        • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                        • Send PM

Or, Frank Smith, Miami Dolphins offensive coordinator

​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
                          Dave Toub, Kansas City Chiefs assistant head coach/special teams coordinator

​Then let him hire his DC and OC.
                          I like the Dave Toub name. When Lynn was hired - I think he was my favorite coach they interviewed. Many years of experience. 37 years of experience and 20 in the NFL. That is Zimmer and Arians like

Good name - very good name

Comment

Working...
                          X