• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post
    I'm kind of warming up to the idea of Brian Flores.

Of all the Belichick disciples... he seems to be his own man.

His Miami teams got in trouble for winning too much. (and they were talent poor at that time)

He was fired for his going public with how they tried to bribe him to lose games.

He's done a pretty good job with the Minnesota defense this year. (that defense was terrible last year)

But... who would he bring in as an OC?

I'm out on Belichick. He's too old.

I'm out on Frank Reich too. He's been a disaster. Remember he was our OC here, and got replaced/fired. He then went to Philly and was the OC for Pederson. (Pederson called the plays). He parlayed that into the Colts HC job...in which he got a new qb every year, and never went anywhere. He then goes to Carolina and has been in charge of that dumpster fire.

I don't want Dan Quinn, either.

Right now it's Brian Flores, and everyone else.
    I dont see a difference between Quinn and Flores. Both good DCs, both didnt have great HC success. Im not wanting either as my #1 is Harbaugh but know it isnt realistic with the goon owners,.....but id rather have them than a rookie HC. And again........before we hire a new HC we have to shit can Telesco, that needs to happen first. He does not deserve to stay.

I do not want another HC with Telesco still here.

Comment

• electricgold
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I dont see a difference between Quinn and Flores. Both good DCs, both didnt have great HC success. Im not wanting either as my #1 is Harbaugh but know it isnt realistic with the goon owners,.....but id rather have them than a rookie HC. And again........before we hire a new HC we have to shit can Telesco, that needs to happen first. He does not deserve to stay.

Jim Harbaugh is the perfect choice to replace Staley and bring with him a GM he feels comfortable working with. I actually believe John Spanos in his current position will be no problem. I'm pretty sure at this point Dean is hearing all the whispers of being cheap and how at this point could they not understand that they have to break the cycle of hiring these first time HC's???!! The stars are lining up perfect for Harbaugh & Herbert working together!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Off the top these are coaches who had once chance
        Quinn
        Flores
        Schwartz
        Spagnuolo
        Morris
        Garrett
        Shurmur
        Gus Bradley
        Rod Chudzinski
        Adam Gase
        Nathaniel Hackett
        Bisaccia - Interim

Older Guys
        Marvin lewis - over .500 with the Bungle/Bengals
        Jim Caldwell did pretty well in Detroit and Indy -
        Arians - probably not coming out of retirement
        Zimmer - read he didn't get along with Cousins so not sure he would be the right coach for Herbert

Off this list, I think Quinn is the best option. Of course, agree about Harbaugh and agree about shit canning Telesco out the door.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Quinn
          Flores
          Schwartz
          Spagnuolo
          Morris
          Garrett
          Shurmur
          Gus Bradley
          Rod Chudzinski
          Adam Gase
          Nathaniel Hackett
          Bisaccia - Interim

Older Guys
          Zimmer - read he didn't get along with Cousins so not sure he would be the right coach for Herbert

Off this list, I think Quinn is the best option. Of course, agree about Harbaugh and agree about shit canning Telesco out the door.
          Here is the thing with that list. Sometimes many coordinators dont make good HCs but they get HC offers because of the job they did as coordinators.

When they are the HC they wont be the DC or OC for which they were. Schwartz wasnt, Spagnola wasnt , Gus wasnt and so on. Staley isnt the DC here but he is calling the plays and not doing a good job of it.....so what good is it to have them as HCs if they arent going to do what made them great?

Norv wasnt a good HC and called offensive plays but it made him a bad HC having other resposibilities.

Harbaugh does neither or these things as a HC and has shown to be a good HC. Zimmer is an asshole. Everybody loves Cousins but hot head Zimmer didnt? No to him.

Of that list beside Harbaugh who isnt on it, I wouldnt mind Quinn but he needs to bring a good DC with him. Cant get over the SB debacle which is like what we went thru with Jax last year.

Basaccia id be ok with. He had the Raiders playing well. He is more than ready.
          Im hesitant but i might be ok with Flores.
          Marvin Lewis...fuck that guy. He was a puppet to the Bengals owner. No way i want him.

No to everyone else, though, i think Garrett was meddled by Jones so im not so down on him....and again....we could have Vince Lombardi as HC, but if Telesco stays, it will be a disaster. He needs to go first or along with Staley.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2022
            • White Rock, BC Canada
            • Send PM

The head coach can hire a good offensive coordinator - find the right HEAD coach. Offense or defense - doesn't matter. It truly is about finding the right leader. Marty was a defense/special teams guy - worked out okay.

I
            Colin Cowherd has done some good takes on this. Most of the best QBs have offensive coaches. Coordinators come and go but the 6 year stability and relationship that Mahomes has with Reid can not be underestimated in his success. Its more than his talent. Herbert has boatloads of talent but he is a 30-31 QB under all kinds of heat right now around the league for not getting it done in close games.

It is time to stop wasting Herbert's career. It is time to maximize and build around the best asset this franchise has ever had.

Comment

• Heatmiser
              BetterToday ThanYesterday
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

This is our saving hope....Spanoseseseses have spent some much of their paper route money on Herbert they HAVE to protect that investment. Hiring a Harbaugh does that. Hiring the other guys on the lists we are passing around? Either no, or maybe or total crap shoot.
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• electricgold
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Colin Cowherd has done some good takes on this. Most of the best QBs have offensive coaches. Coordinators come and go but the 6 year stability and relationship that Mahomes has with Reid can not be underestimated in his success. Its more than his talent. Herbert has boatloads of talent but he is a 30-31 QB under all kinds of heat right now around the league for not getting it done in close games.

It is time to stop wasting Herbert's career. It is time to maximize and build around the best asset this franchise has ever had.
                Yep....Fans are starting to question Herbert at this point but imagine if Mahomes would have been blessed with Anthony Lynn & Staley as his coaches and Herbert would have had Reid this whole time???? Who your HC is matters!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Hiring the best HC - whether offense, defense or special teams, combined with a real GM - would do more for Herberts career than focusing on hiring a Sr Offensive coordinator who craps the bed as a head coach.

Granted if the Chargers had hired Daboll three years ago - I honestly think they are a better team. Even with Tommy Gettleman at GM.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

Quinn
                    Flores
                    Schwartz
                    Spagnuolo
                    Morris
                    Garrett
                    Shurmur
                    Gus Bradley
                    Rod Chudzinski
                    Adam Gase
                    Nathaniel Hackett
                    Bisaccia - Interim

Older Guys

None of those guys and certainly not Quinn. TT has to go before we hire a new HC.
                    Harbaugh if available
                    BB if no Harbaugh
                    If we go after a OC then Ben Johnson, Lions OC.
                    Rivera will probably get canned. Bring him in as DC.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                      This is our saving hope....Spanoseseseses have spent some much of their paper route money on Herbert they HAVE to protect that investment. Hiring a Harbaugh does that. Hiring the other guys on the lists we are passing around? Either no, or maybe or total crap shoot.
                      100% common sense!

You have now invested 262 million dollars in Justin Herbert. He is easily the best player on the team and the most important player on the team.

Hire the best damn coach that will get the most out of Justin Herbert and can over see a competent team around him.

Comment

• electricgold
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Yep. I like Tuli. My mistake take.

Brady made everyone look better.

I look at KC. They went 12-4 with a previous #1 overall pick....yet Reid and them made a big trade up for Mahomes and it worked out as one of the best draft day trades ever.

There is not way Chargers do that. They would try and build around their vet QB. And not trade up there.

I remember as a fan I was wanting to draft Lamar Jackson when he was on the board. Trade Rivers and build a different type of team. The Chargers boards were not very kind to my take. But he has won a lot and was MVP. So .........

Staley can be criticized. But it seems like blaming the employee and ignoring the owners have yet to do anything that shows they can actually win consistently.
                        Okay let me ask you a question if you were the owner and you had complete say would you rather have Brandon Staley as your HC next season with a new GM or Jim Harbaugh with a new GM as your next coach?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                          One would have thought by now the years of mediocrity would have them evaluating what has worked in the past -- and what hasn't and come to a conclusion. But if that means 20m out of pocket or 5m - the choice they make is the money in the pocket perhaps

And yes, that list is a total crap shoot. A guy like Dennis Allen, I think has done better in New Orleans than with the Raiders - better organization, GM and all that. And yet, still around .500 in two years. Garrett was over .500 with Jerry Jones - so dealing with the Spanii would be a cakewalk but the Clapper doesn't move the needle for me that much

Comment

Working...
                          X