• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    With all due respect, I don't think anybody here is a "Staley sack hugger." What we are saying is don't come to hasty conclusions about Staley. He has his faults, and believe me most of us, the Staley proponents, are concerned about that decision at the end of the Browns game and a few other decisions he's made. But those calling for his immediate firing are being extreme. That would be the worst possible scenario. Most of the talk around Staley tends to focus on the negative. But there are many positives to Staley. He has overcome the adversity of injuries early this season and gotten the team to 3-2. He's accomplished that with some of his best players on offense and defense out with injury. I look at Daboll and what he's doing with the Giants and like everyone else here think about what could've been. But our reality is that we have Staley, and he is extremely capable. I think he is still learning how to be a HC and we are going to share in his growing pains. But I think there is a reasonably good chance he figures it out and this team starts playing to its full potential. The team is in a really good place. These next three games are going to be very telling for the Staley and the Chargers - Denver and Seattle at SoFi and Atlanta on the road. The Chargers should win all three and get to 6-2. If they falter due to not being prepared, bad game planning, bad in-game decisions, then yes there might be a problem. But until then, I wouldn't come to any conclusions about Staley.
    Daboll is getting crowned way too quickly IMO.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

I understand there are two analytics that should have been weighed in that situation.

Smug Staley apologists just cite the going for it on 4th down analytic which slightly favored that option if that was considered in a vacuum.

What those holier than thou Staley sack huggers don’t mention is the analytic of punting the ball and the win percentage of doing that.

Staley throws out all these platitudes about how he trusts his players and has supreme confidence in them. Well, where was the confidence in special teams punting on 4th down, pinning the Browns back, and defense ending the game?

The Browns bailed Staley out in losing the game. His analytics didn’t win it.
      But they do take punting the ball into account though.

Comment

• Riverwalk
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

But they do take punting the ball into account though.

Doesn’t take into account opponents capabilities. Chargers weren’t facing Mahomes or Allen. They were facing a team that can only run the ball.

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Brandon told everyone from that start that he would be aggressive. If the analysis was a strong go that he would trust his players. Put his players in these situations over and over again. Not only to win, but to get them comfortable with being in those execute 1 play and end the game.

So many HC new and old would do the conventional thing. In part because they are too scared to go all in there. And it's just too easy to justify punting. And if they drive for the FG, then you have very little scrutiny about the 4th down decision even in a loss.

Staley told everyone he is ready for that smoke.
          The man was Not lying.
          Chargers are a wild. Nobody wants to play this team.
          Staley will move all in on every opponent HC
          The opponents don't have the cajones to do that.
          Advantage Chargers.
          Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltx
            Dominate the day
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Honestly, I think we can just get past this 4th down call. Like it or not, it wasn't a clear cut decision to punt and this is who Staley is. As much as I complained about it, I can live with it and am ready to move on.

The more pressing issue, however, is that this defense has given up the most points in the AFC and can't stop anyone. Can't stop the run. Can't stop chunk plays.
            ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
              I still am on the Staley bandwagon. But that took a huge chunk out of my support. They should have punted without a doubt.

That being said.... I'll take W on the road in the NFL every time.
              That is my take also.

Obviously happy about the win, doesnt mean I put blinders on. Still like Staley but more skeptical.

Numerous good former coaches around the league, including Sean Peyton, clearly said that was a bad call on 4th down. You cant blindly follow analytics without a feel for the game. If the opposing QB was Rodgers, Mahomes, Brady it is a different equation but it was Brissett with no time outs.

Staley contradicts himself when he say he trusts his defense. His post game defence of the call came off as a bit lame.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2022
                • White Rock, BC Canada
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

At least 2% of the country understands how analytics work.
                Analytics should be a tool, not a religion...like it is to Staley

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Agree, he hasnt lost the locker room and im fine with being aggressive but that instance imo wasnt the time.
                  No Staley hasnt lost the locker room, but anyone who thinks Staley's aggressiveness is not a topic among some corners of the locler room is being naive. The signs are there. The longest tenured captain proved it. He is not the only player that has wondered WTF.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

No Staley hasnt lost the locker room, but anyone who thinks Staley's aggressiveness is not a topic among some corners of the locler room is being naive. The signs are there. The longest tenured captain proved it. He is not the only player that has wondered WTF.
                    And that’s why it’s good that Staley talked to him privately about it afterwards. Instead of just pushing it under the rug.

I will say this though. KA would have had a different mentality if he was on the play. He would have been fine with the decision then.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                      Brandon told everyone from that start that he would be aggressive. If the analysis was a strong go that he would trust his players. Put his players in these situations over and over again. Not only to win, but to get them comfortable with being in those execute 1 play and end the game.

So many HC new and old would do the conventional thing. In part because they are too scared to go all in there. And it's just too easy to justify punting. And if they drive for the FG, then you have very little scrutiny about the 4th down decision even in a loss.

Staley told everyone he is ready for that smoke.
                      The man was Not lying.
                      Chargers are a wild. Nobody wants to play this team.
                      Staley will move all in on every opponent HC
                      The opponents don't have the cajones to do that.
                      Advantage Chargers.
                      True and that part is kind of fun.

What he also advertised is that he is defensive genius. problem is his defences havd been at the bottom of the league and bleed big plays and yards all over the place since he got here.

The guy has alot to prove to back up his talk. I think the fire Staley camp is over the top but I have shifted from drinking the koolaid to the SHOW ME camp.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2021
                        • Send PM

Had Staley punted and the Chargers lost, NOBODY would have faulted Staley in hindsight.

Had the Chargers lost because the Browns actually made that field goal, EVERONE in the NFL would be laughing at him for a reckless call and gifting Browns with a win.

He’s lucky the way it turned out. Pure and simple.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2022
                          • White Rock, BC Canada
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

And that’s why it’s good that Staley talked to him privately about it afterwards. Instead of just pushing it under the rug.

I will say this though. KA would have had a different mentality if he was on the play. He would have been fine with the decision then.
                          Fair enough you are probably right about that. But if Cade York made that kick like he did in week 1 to win the game and most good NFL kickers do, and the Chargers threw away a game from which they fought back from 14 points down....do you think a few players in that locker room might be feeling different?

Its a fine line Staley is treading. You want to be a revolutionary genuis and have players follow you no matter what, you need to have a bigger winning track record. This youing coach has tons to prove, starting with his defensive chops.

Comment

Working...
                          X