• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Don't agree with Cowherd a lot, but he is spot on - what is Spanos waiting for???

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      Don't agree with Cowherd a lot, but he is spot on - what is Spanos waiting for???

He is overmatched as a head coach also trying to be the DC. His ego won't allow him to give up play calling or hire somebody to be his DC that would call plays. Which is what he should have done when he was hired. Or last off-season

I think he probably could be a good head coach in the future - but sadly - for the Chargers - wasting the Herbert years. He will have to go back to being an assistant, work up to coordinator and probably find a mid-major to be head coach.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

He is overmatched as a head coach also trying to be the DC. His ego won't allow him to give up play calling or hire somebody to be his DC that would call plays. Which is what he should have done when he was hired. Or last off-season

I think he probably could be a good head coach in the future - but sadly - for the Chargers - wasting the Herbert years. He will have to go back to being an assistant, work up to coordinator and probably find a mid-major to be head coach.
        He won't ever get a sniff at a HC job again. He won't get a sniff at a DC job for a long, long time, if ever. His ceiling is position coach.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

I just saw that - the Ben Johnson stuff makes me want to gag - and its purely based on the history of the Chargers hiring experienced coaches compared to first time coaches. Other organizations can get away with it

Now Quinn keeping Moore - that seems like a solid foundation to me.

Allbright is a very good insider so if he says they need to win a playoff game to keep their job or clean house - I believe it. Telesco would be gone I am guessing

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

He won't ever get a sniff at a HC job again. He won't get a sniff at a DC job for a long, long time, if ever. His ceiling is position coach.
              I think he can be like Steve Wilks - go back to college, be a DC and maybe work back to a DC job. But yes, it would be a good long time. Needs to learn humility and needs to learn more about coaching. Period. More than just being able to talk a good game.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Probably because there’s no way to interview any coaches yet? I suppose you could always start your GM search now. But I suspect they will wait until the season is over like they always do.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I just saw that - the Ben Johnson stuff makes me want to gag - and its purely based on the history of the Chargers hiring experienced coaches compared to first time coaches. Other organizations can get away with it

Now Quinn keeping Moore - that seems like a solid foundation to me.

Allbright is a very good insider so if he says they need to win a playoff game to keep their job or clean house - I believe it. Telesco would be gone I am guessing
                  We need a HC that will also keep Ficken as ST coach.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

We need a HC that will also keep Ficken as ST coach.
                    That too and a new HC would be stupid to not want to keep Ficken as ST coach

Reading that from Allbright actually was a positive. I get that Quinn blew the lead in the Super Bowl - but he had some pretty good years there... and one would think, a second time as HC, he would know things this time around an improve.

Comment

• BigBad
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

Halfway through the season and we are BEHIND THE RAIDERS in the division. That to me is plenty enough to fire the guy.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        BetterToday ThanYesterday
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I figure that his buddy O'Connel will hire him to coach outside LBs or some other made up assistant job. It takes a lot for me to give up on somebody. I give up on Staley. This team is embarrassing and he has taken the pleasure out of watching them. Even Popper can point out continued deficiencies in the defense. Staley won't admit he is wrong and his system does not work.

I am lukewarm to hiring Ben Johnson. He is another limited time coordinator who will come in and want to be OC and head coach at the same time. So he will learn to be a HC on the fly while also trying to install and call a new offense. Does not seem to work for us. Johnson seems very smart and all and he called a great game yesterday. Just feels like touching a hot stove all over again to me.

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

I figure that his buddy O'Connel will hire him to coach outside LBs or some other made up assistant job. It takes a lot for me to give up on somebody. I give up on Staley. This team is embarrassing and he has taken the pleasure out of watching them. Even Popper can point out continued deficiencies in the defense. Staley won't admit he is wrong and his system does not work.

I am lukewarm to hiring Ben Johnson. He is another limited time coordinator who will come in and want to be OC and head coach at the same time. So he will learn to be a HC on the fly while also trying to install and call a new offense. Does not seem to work for us. Johnson seems very smart and all and he called a great game yesterday. Just feels like touching a hot stove all over again to me.

TG
                          All the hot name offensive guys are first timers unfortunately. Only veteran HC available are in the defensive field are guys like Quinn and Flores. And as intriguing as Flores is, I don’t want the Patriot Way anywhere near this team.

Comment

Working...
                          X