• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I'm not saying the D doesn't have some serious issues, but how much of that is going to change if we fire Hill?

Hill and Staley are running the D Staley brought with him from the Rams. Staley is calling the plays. Staley has his way of teaching the concepts over assignments that he is implementing.

If you fire Hill, how much of that change? None as far as I can tell. Staley is still going to be the HC and he is going to do it his way. Firing Hill makes him a scapegoat, and not even a particularly attractive-looking scapegoat at that.

I'm not disagreeing things need to change on D, but Hill is not the guy driving the change, it's Staley, so he's the guy who would need to go.
    Staley is a baby HC. Rookie. He needs a veteran guy to help him out. Our defense was horrible. Bring in a guy with experience that can add to his concepts and work with him.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt

For what? Having a top 5 offense and scoring more points than we did last year? Or was it having Herbert set more records for a 2nd year QB?

What exactly did he do so badly that some here think they know better?

Not call enough 9 routes? I'm at a loss.
      They shouldn’t have fired Steichen or Lynn following your logic. Herbert was a ROY and set records. I’ll ask you what I asked Wood, what the identity? What’s the philosophy? Have you watched Buffalo and the designed runs for Josh Allen? We should have done more of that. Herbert does that well. It doesn’t always have to be escaping the pocket. Did you see anything creative? Did you feel like we had an advantage on must have offensive plays? Or was it just hope Herbert makes an otherworldly play?

bottom line, Herbert is special. We are doing him a disservice if we don’t pair him with someone special and Lombardi isn’t special

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Staley is a baby HC. Rookie. He needs a veteran guy to help him out. Our defense was horrible. Bring in a guy with experience that can add to his concepts and work with him.
        I'm not disagreeing that it is a good idea, but it's never going to happen. So why go through the motions with Hill? Staley is going to be the HC/DC and that is that. We all know it. If they were going to fire Staley they would have done it already.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

I'm not disagreeing that it is a good idea, but it's never going to happen. So why go through the motions with Hill? Staley is going to be the HC/DC and that is that. We all know it. If they were going to fire Staley they would have done it already.
          Who said anything about firing Staley? If Staley is as smart as he thinks he is, he will realize that he’s be better off surrounding himself with people as smart or smarter. I doubt Hill is that guy. Find someone better

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Who said anything about firing Staley? If Staley is as smart as he thinks he is, he will realize that he’s be better off surrounding himself with people as smart or smarter. I doubt Hill is that guy. Find someone better
            It is Staley driving what is being done on D. The DC is along for the ride.

Unless Staley goes, it is more of the same next season. I don't see how changing the DC does anything, since it is Staley show.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

It is Staley driving what is being done on D. The DC is along for the ride.

Unless Staley goes, it is more of the same next season. I don't see how changing the DC does anything, since it is Staley show.
              That doesn’t make sense. Unless you think Staley is so stubborn and arrogant that he’s not open to input. If that’s who you think he is then we’re probably dead in the water right now. That’s organizational dysfunction

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

That doesn’t make sense. Unless you think Staley is so stubborn and arrogant that he’s not open to input. If that’s who you think he is then we’re probably dead in the water right now. That’s organizational dysfunction
                You hire a HC because of what he did as a coordinator right? He comes in and wants to do his stuff and philosophy is usually built on that, so he brings what he did with him.

That's the NFL. It's not just the Chargers, but that is the norm among most/all the teams.

The reverse is that you are saying his plan is no good and that we should blow it up and start over, in which case, why do we need Staley?

The general consensus was last year that we should hire Staley because

A) he was not going to be the same old same old HC- which he isn't because of all the 4th downs among other things

or

B). he was very innovative and did a lot of super creative and unique defenses and we wanted to do that too.

OK, but now what I keep hearing is we want to keep Staley but:

1). we want him to be more like a regular coach, punt and kick FG and all that stuff

or

2). We hate his D and we want to do something different that works better out of the box. But we don't like his D and we want to go back to the same old same old.

Either way that seems like Chargers fans, for the most part, are having "buyers remorse". We like Staley (I don't hear many people crying that we should fire him), but we don't like anything that he stands for (scheme or being aggressive).

Not sure what I am missing. I was not a huge fan of hiring Staley, but I think you have to ride it out and see if what he has done will work. To give up now is the equivalent of giving in to your 3 year old's tantrum. And besides giving up on what Staley is doing is the same thing as giving up on him (it's a package deal).

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/1...man%20official,'
                Petronius Arbiter (a Roman Official in Nero's Empire) or (Charleton Ogburn or another staff officer in Merrill's Maurauders, WW2 in Burma).
                'We tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing, and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion inefficiency, and demoralization.'
                Last edited by Steve; 01-15-2022, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

What if he feels he has the guy he wants at DC and the problem is not coaching, but the need for more talent on the D? He gave us a big hint with his comments about the defensive line that this appears to be what he is thinking. And I don't think many here would disagree that we do not need to concentrate on that side of the ball this offseason.

Comment

• Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I hope he nailed it.
                    So do I.

I guess getting repeatedly bailed out by Herbert makes an OC look brilliant (until he decides to take the ball out of his QB's hands on 4th down and 1 from his own 18 yard line).

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

If the Raiders are stupid enough to let Bisaccia go I for one would like him back to help Staley as assistant head coach like he was under Gruden. And I would pay him well.

:beer:
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

They shouldn’t have fired Steichen or Lynn following your logic. Herbert was a ROY and set records. I’ll ask you what I asked Wood, what the identity? What’s the philosophy? Have you watched Buffalo and the designed runs for Josh Allen? We should have done more of that. Herbert does that well. It doesn’t always have to be escaping the pocket. Did you see anything creative? Did you feel like we had an advantage on must have offensive plays? Or was it just hope Herbert makes an otherworldly play?

bottom line, Herbert is special. We are doing him a disservice if we don’t pair him with someone special and Lombardi isn’t special
                        So you want our special QB to have 122 carries with the ball?
                        If he got hurt you would be one of the first ones to call Lombardi an idiot for that.

The QB with the most SB wins doesn't have 122 carries in his career. Neither does Payton and he has 2 SB wins.

We just need a QB that can run, he doesn't need to run often with designed plays.

Creative? Or being reckless?

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

You hire a HC because of what he did as a coordinator right? He comes in and wants to do his stuff and philosphy is usually built on that, so he brings what he did with him.

That's the NFL. It's not just the Chargers, but that is the norm among most/all the teams.
                          I think they hired him because they thought he was the smartest best guy. I bet he interviews like a champ. They may have interviewed him based on what he did as a DC but I bet he got hired for what he said about team building or whatever in the interview. In any case, the bloom is off the rose as far as Staley’s defensive prowess. He ain’t that good. So I say again if the guy is smart and he seems to be and wants to keep coach g in the NFL he’ll get some help. Otherwise he’s gonna be the guy that went for it on 4th down sitting on a couch somewhere. And we will be the fans who saw another good QBs career wasted

Comment

Working...
                          X