• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

If they cut Bulaga, they will be up to around 68m. But the current 57m on OTC and Spotrac is for a 45 man roster. So add the draft class of say 9m. That takes you down to $60m. Need 8mn for the Practice Squad and in season fund. So starting with 52m

Mike Williams - sign him to a long term deal or let him walk: 12m cap hit
    Justin jones (or a like player) 6.5m cap hit
    Kyzir White: 7m cap hit
    Nwosu or a like player: 7m cap hit

Thats down to 20m left over right now
    Aboushi and a couple others - I have using 5m

So 15m for non Charger free agents
    My choices:

Sebastian Joseph Day or BJ Hill: 7.5m cap hit

Second player: maybe Zach Ertz, maybe a DB like Tyran Mathieu maybe more IDL depth like Austin Johnson or Maliek Collins, or Akiem Hicks

Thats all I got - the money goes fast. And this is why the Chargers cannot franchise Mike Williams as you lose about 7m of cap space.
    8 mil for the PS? I think that is a very inflated number. Id guess it's half of that or less than half of that from the little I've read about PS salaries.
    Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-04-2022, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

8 mil for the PS? I think that is a very inflated number. I guess it's half of that or less than half of that from the little I've read about PS salaries.
      For both the practice squad and in season "injured list" slush fund - I just combined
      Practice Squad is like 2 to 2.5m
      Telesco usually keeps 5-6m on hand for IR and what not
      So thats where I get the 8m or so -

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

If they cut Bulaga, they will be up to around 68m. But the current 57m on OTC and Spotrac is for a 45 man roster. So add the draft class of say 9m. That takes you down to $60m. Need 8mn for the Practice Squad and in season fund. So starting with 52m

Mike Williams - sign him to a long term deal or let him walk: 12m cap hit
        Justin jones (or a like player) 6.5m cap hit
        Kyzir White: 7m cap hit
        Nwosu or a like player: 7m cap hit

Thats down to 20m left over right now
        Aboushi and a couple others - I have using 5m

So 15m for non Charger free agents
        My choices:

Sebastian Joseph Day or BJ Hill: 7.5m cap hit

Second player: maybe Zach Ertz, maybe a DB like Tyran Mathieu maybe more IDL depth like Austin Johnson or Maliek Collins, or Akiem Hicks

Thats all I got - the money goes fast. And this is why the Chargers cannot franchise Mike Williams as you lose about 7m of cap space.
        2nd player will be a backup: a corner better than Campbell, a rb more reliable than Jackson, maybe a Cook type at tight end.

Barely 500, with a franchise qb in his rookie contract: next year Derwin Jame's contract renewal, then Herbert's and a gutting of the roster.

They'll be in cap hell soon just like the Rams.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

2nd player will be a backup: a corner better than Campbell, a rb more reliable than Jackson, maybe a Cook type at tight end.

Barely 500, with a franchise qb in his rookie contract: next year Derwin Jame's contract renewal, then Herbert's and a gutting of the roster.

They'll be in cap hell soon just like the Rams.
          Are the Rams in cap hell or the Super Bowl?

Comment

• Parcells
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

8 mil for the PS? I think that is a very inflated number. Id guess it's half of that or less than half of that from the little I've read about PS salaries.
            Practice squad does not count towards salary cap, or at least as I understand it. Now, they will maintain some cushion for the regular season and that number rolls over if unused.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Paradise today, cap hell tomorrow.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

The Rams are in the SB now, but are over the salary cap for next season. They are required to be under it by the start of the league year.

Sportrac lists them being $8 mill over, Over the cap as almost $14 million. Neither amount accounts for resigning FA or their own draft picks, so the actual amount they need to clear is something like $14 to $25 mill depending on how many of their own, or other teams FA they might want to sign. OTC ranks the rookie pool for the 31st and 32nd teams as being $7.6 mill and $6.2 mill respectively.

For example, Von Miller, OBJ and Sebastin Joseph are not under contract, and all played key roles in getting to the SB. I don't think any of those 3 is going to ask for top money at their position, but all 3 probably can reasonably expect $10 mill per at a minimum.

The thing the Rams have going for them is that they have a few players that they are paying most of their cap money to, so if they cut just a couple of them, they can get under the cap fairly easily. If they finally decide to move on from Whitworth, they can clear $15.5 mill and clear most of the space in one go. Stafford could get them all the way and then some in one go ($23 mill). The others, not all the way in one, but a couple of them could add up to a significant savings.

it's Dallas that is in some significant salary cap hell. They are $21.7mill over the cap this season, and only $5 mill under the 2023 cap right now, which between their cap cuts and their rookies, will put them over next season's cap before training camp starts.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  The Rams are in the SB now, but are over the salary cap for next season. They are required to be under it by the start of the league year.

Sportrac lists them being $8 mill over, Over the cap as almost $14 million. Neither amount accounts for resigning FA or their own draft picks, so the actual amount they need to clear is something like $14 to $25 mill depending on how many of their own, or other teams FA they might want to sign. OTC ranks the rookie pool for the 31st and 32nd teams as being $7.6 mill and $6.2 mill respectively.

For example, Von Miller, OBJ and Sebastin Joseph are not under contract, and all played key roles in getting to the SB. I don't think any of those 3 is going to ask for top money at their position, but all 3 probably can reasonably expect $10 mill per at a minimum.

The thing the Rams have going for them is that they have a few players that they are paying most of their cap money to, so if they cut just a couple of them, they can get under the cap fairly easily. If they finally decide to move on from Whitworth, they can clear $15.5 mill and clear most of the space in one go. Stafford could get them all the way and then some in one go ($23 mill). The others, not all the way in one, but a couple of them could add up to a significant savings.

it's Dallas that is in some significant salary cap hell. They are $21.7mill over the cap this season, and only $5 mill under the 2023 cap right now, which between their cap cuts and their rookies, will put them over next season's cap before training camp starts.
                  Whitworth, the 40 year old OT? Easy

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

That is where salary cap is disconnected from the roster building. It may be an easy cap move, but he is still a damn good LT.

The thing that teams like Dallas can do it they play salary cap games every year, and then every once in a while they have gut their roster and are then playing catch up and rebuild. The flip side is trying to keep the roster together and not overpay, and just keep going on. With a QB like Herbert, you have to kind of think that if you can keep the corp of your team together every year, you have a chance every season. The key is peaking at the right time, which is what didn't happen this year. We were doing well, but then lost 3 of the last 4, and that sealed it.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

But if you get to the Super Bowl two times in what 5 games - isn't it worth it to be in cap hell. The goal is to win the Super Bowl - not win the OverTheCap.com balancing the cap award. The Rams have had the second most draft picks over the last 5 years . They have used player development on their roster well.

And the Chargers will not be in cap hell. They have a lot of room this year and have a decent amount of room in 2023 even if you count players being signed and two draft classes to sign between 2022 and 2023

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

The Rams (Packers, Saints) knew this time last year what they need to do this time this year to get under the cap

Hell, if I can have a two year spreadsheet in my spare time for the Chargers cap - one would think these teams have rolling five year caps and during the offseason, have some finance analyst type like me just move numbers around messing with scenarios: Extend these three players, release these two, see if this guy will take a pay cut... whatever - its just math to be manipulated

Leonard Floyd signed a pretty big contract - 4/64. 14 upfront and 32 guaranteed - his cap number was 5.5m. I get it jumps to 18 this year - but you worry about that this year - not last year So the Chargers with MW, Nwosu, Jones, Kyzir plus a couple free agents can minimize cap hits for one or two of those players . I wouldn't recommend all of them - but a couple of them

The Chargers can play the game too and they hopefully will need too in two years

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Rams will redo contracts and retain some core pieces.
                          Whitworth is not being cut.
                          One of the best UFA signings ever.
                          He will play until he's forty-four.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X