• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
    TT should bundle late comp and regular picks for fewer but higher picks. 6th and 7th rd picks are two inches away from UDFAs and as noted, replacing current UDFAs with new raw UDFAs is a very long shot at success. For every really good player taken in 7th or UDFA, there are a hundred that wash out.
    Those picks have little or no value. 7th round comp picks for sure.

But I think watching the Bengals - his free agent strategy, being Telesco - should be pretty clear. Thomas Davis, Linval Joseph and Chris Harris are not the way to go. Hendrickson, Azuwie Ogunjobi, Von Bell. Thats you build in free agency - players in their 26-28 year old range on their SECOND contract.

The Bengals had the volume - Chargers are going to bring back same of their own (Jones, White, Nwosu) - so they may not need four players but they sure have room for 2 difference makers.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
      Day One...
      • Mar 2019
      • Brentwood, 94513
      • Send PM

I hope the front office can flip some of late picks to move up on draft board.

Comment

• jox g
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

Ummm Mr. Staley! Pulease hire the Bengals DC. Promote him to Asst HC/ and DC. Dude helped BEAT the raiduhs. Dude helped beat the chefs (twice!)

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post
          Ummm Mr. Staley! Pulease hire the Bengals DC. Promote him to Asst HC/ and DC. Dude helped BEAT the raiduhs. Dude helped beat the chefs (twice!)
          Won’t matter unless he brings a lot of his players with him. Or, give Staley some more players and watch the D improve.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

The Bengals would block a lateral move. The only way you can justify a coordinator making a move to another team is as a HC.

Besides, not matter how much people argue, Staley is going to try and run his D and make it work. That is the basis of his hiring and that is the NORM in the NFL. Coaches bring their old schemes and that is what they run.

Chargers fans have had some bad expereinces with HC running their schemes, so they tend to think that is the way to do it, and while I agree to a point, that is not how MOST new NFL HC do it.

Staley's going to run the same scheme next season.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              The Bengals would block a lateral move. The only way you can justify a coordinator making a move to another team is as a HC.

Besides, not matter how much people argue, Staley is going to try and run his D and make it work. That is the basis of his hiring and that is the NORM in the NFL. Coaches bring their old schemes and that is what they run.

Chargers fans have had some bad expereinces with HC running their schemes, so they tend to think that is the way to do it, and while I agree to a point, that is not how MOST new NFL HC do it.

Staley's going to run the same scheme next season.
              I would think also if there's a finite contract termination date. If your no longer under contract you would be able to do a lateral move with a bigger paycheck. No?

:coffee:
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• AK47
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                Bengals going to SB because of their D.

Yes.

Intercepted Mahommes twice and had key sacks on him.

Limited KC to 3. Three. Tres points after halftime through OT.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2020
                  • Oklahoma
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                  For those that think defense isn't as important any longer.

Screenshot_20220130-103130.png
                  Could care less what big mouth on the field and tweeter thinks. Shut the fuck up, quit getting taunting penalties, and don't drop the rock as much next year....and the coin toss most likely did cost the Bills the game. If not for a near miraculous play by the Bengals on the interception it would have most likely cost them the game as well.
                  Last edited by Leslie Grossman; 01-30-2022, 11:16 PM.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2020
                    • Oklahoma
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
                    Jerry Jones at least went for it, getting himself way over the cap trying.. Ya, I’d say he’s disappointed. Now he has to dismantle his try.
                    Agreed. Hopefully we can poach some Rams, Cowboys, Packers, Saints, Chiefs, or Bucs
                    Last edited by Leslie Grossman; 01-30-2022, 11:14 PM.

Comment

• Parcells
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
                      I just don’t see paying two wr that much money. Yes, do other teams do it, of course. But our defense is nothing to right home about. And the drop off from wr 8 to 20 isn’t a big drop. 17 million isn’t what he’s going to get. It will be a higher number. Especially if it reported that Adams is looking for 30 million.

Just use that 17 million on a top corner. Throw in some edge rushers, and get a smarter linebacker. I mean, do we keep one stud instead of helping our dismal defense?

I just don’t see it. But hey, if they want to and can, I am all for keeping Williams.
                      You are making the mistake that the contract will have an equal impact over the length of the contract. Almost all contract are backloaded such that the bigger cap hit comes towards the end, like with Keenan Allen. Allen might play the 2023 year of his current deal, but no way does he play the 2024 year with that insane number. So if we resign Mike Williams, as his cap number is going up, expect KA to renegotiate his number down or even be gone. We really can afford both of them without ending up in cap hell because the highs cap years will be somewhat staggered.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I would think also if there's a finite contract termination date. If your no longer under contract you would be able to do a lateral move with a bigger paycheck. No?

:coffee:
                        I don't know when his contract expires. If he is not under contract you are correct, he is free to sign where he wants.

Of course, that means he would probably sign somewhere else. Again, Staley was presumably hired to bring his D to the LAC, and I am not sure why he would stop the experiment after 1 year. Again, I know a lot of Chargers fans prefer the idea of having a OC and DC who run their units, and a HC who doesn't call plays. However, it is not uncommon at all for an HC to call either the O or D. I am not sure why Staley would want to stop.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post

Could care less what big mouth on the field and tweeter thinks. Shut the fuck up, quit getting taunting penalties, and don't drop the rock as much next year....and the coin toss most likely did cost the Bills the game. If not for a near miraculous play by the Bengals on the interception it would have most likely cost them the game as well.
                          I think that is what he means by defense winning championships.

Comment

Working...
                          X