• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
    Rams success and Chargers failure this year clearly shows the distinction between the GM philosophy.

Rams traded draft capital for experienced known quality players and picked up players galore during the season to CONTINUALLY improve.

Chargers hoarde draft picks and refused to bolster their pathetic defense mid season when it was obvious to everyone it was their Achilles heel.

Staley’s in game management may be aggressive but the GM moves or lack thereof are the opposite.
    Stafford, Sony Michel, OBJ, Von Miller and now Weddle picked up prior to or during the season. All paid big dividends. Including Weddle who, believe it or not, lead the Rams in tackles yesterday in the NFC Championship game

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I agree with what you’re saying for the most part. However, since some posters here like to use the Rams as an example of what we should be doing, here’s an interesting counterpoint quote:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ia-peter-king/
      And how many lower round picks do you make before you find that one Rick Scott? Yes you can keep and train up all those late round picks, but few become more than Jags that you don’t want to see in games.

Although occasionally a GM will hit on a bunch of late rounders a few years in a row and become a top team. AJ did it one time early in his tenure.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
        Rams success and Chargers failure this year clearly shows the distinction between the GM philosophy.

Rams traded draft capital for experienced known quality players and picked up players galore during the season to CONTINUALLY improve.

Chargers hoarde draft picks and refused to bolster their pathetic defense mid season when it was obvious to everyone it was their Achilles heel.

Staley’s in game management may be aggressive but the GM moves or lack thereof are the opposite.
        Whethers its making trades, drafting better on Day 3, having the funds to push cap into the future - it just isn't one thing

But with the way the Chargers operate under the Spanii - withiout the cash the Rams have - Telesco and John Boy need to be better at player evaluation.

And maybe the Rams have better coaches - that can be a factor.

Now, the hope is that STaley is the best partner for Telesco and John BOy when it comes to player evaluation. 2021 was a good year overall I think. But 2022 needs the same

a couple draft picks to be big time contributors
        a few more showing they belong in the NFL
        and in free agency get starters plus hopefully hit again with a cheap player like Aboushi

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Oh c'mon.
          Tartt's drop is the story.
          LAC pathway to championships is clear.
          We are a different animal than LAR too.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Whethers its making trades, drafting better on Day 3, having the funds to push cap into the future - it just isn't one thing

But with the way the Chargers operate under the Spanii - without the cash the Rams have - Telesco and John Boy need to be better at player evaluation.

And maybe the Rams have better coaches - that can be a factor.

Now, the hope is that STaley is the best partner for Telesco and John BOy when it comes to player evaluation. 2021 was a good year overall I think. But 2022 needs the same

a couple draft picks to be big time contributors
            a few more showing they belong in the NFL
            and in free agency get starters plus hopefully hit again with a cheap player like Aboushi
            Not sure what you mean by the bolded part. The Rams operate under the salary cap that we do. There’s no difference in cash. It’s why they traded Kenny Young to the Broncos and cut Desean Jackson. They needed to free up cash.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Not sure what you mean by the bolded part. The Rams operate under the salary cap that we do. There’s no difference in cash. It’s why they traded Kenny Young to the Broncos and cut Desean Jackson. They needed to free up cash.
              Yes, there is a difference in how each team operates the cap. DeSean Jackson didn't save them cap space since he wasn't traded. I am not sure about Kenny YOung but maybe that was to create a bit of space for other moves to keep under the cap

But, the Rams can take a bunch of cash from WalMart and take "salary" and convert to "bonus" to lower the cap number. The Spanii do not have the cash flow to do this I do not believe. And this is how the Rams fit all the players under the cap last offseason. They took the salaries of players, converted to signing bonus and pushed out into future years. And to do that, you need cash on hand I think - unless the player gets the money every two weeks during the season

I am not saying the Chargers should push out Bosa, Allen, Linsley and Davis to create $30m+ of cap space - but for a team like the Rams - its easier for them to do. The Chargers play things closer to the vest - not much future dead money - but that also means they are not going "all in" with getting players and working the cap like other teams.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

gonna muddy the waters here a bit, as have dredged up this post from last week.... before Fleet moved this thread over to the main forum,

don't have a good feeling about things going into this offseason, and am beginning to fear that some fairly severe outcomes might be on the horizon if things remain in the direction they are.... ??

was feeling pretty certain that this last season would be a playoff season, and that we might even make the championship game, and that this next season would be a veritable SB run.

my suspicion now is that things could go south and w/the swiftness, and that this team might get as few as six wins next season.....

have thought about starting a "Dear John" thread, as think things land squarely on his to do list, and.... doubt he gives a flying fish about the most of 'em.

first up, and first thing he needs to get after, and coulda, woulda, shoulda done it already, is.... promote his pal Tom.... to VP of Director of Football Ops.

that recent video/presser w/Tom, was not a good look.... it's not year One, it's year nine, and nine is the number of completion.... year 10 is a new start/year, and we need a new GM.

Jeremiah is my guy and feel free to fill in the blank w/your GM of choice, and.... DJ brings a dual benefit, in that not only is he a personnel guy w/draft chops, but he can well handle the PR responsibilities as well, of which were some of Telesco's greatest gifts/strengths.

another thing that cannot happen going into this offseason, is we have to stop having our HC make the personnel decisions.... it's not a good look/idea, and it has derailed many a good/great franchise.... there needs to be separation between church and state.... we need to have a GM w/some personnel acuity, that doesn't "generally" defer to his HC when making important/first round decisions and the such.

if anyone is leaning toward resigning MW it's Telesco.... tagging him is a mistake, and resigning him to what is usually an overpay by our FO is a mistake.... we need to let him test the market in FA, and if we can't sign him to a good value contract, which is not much, if any more than $10m, then.... life moves on, and.... that does not mean we are indebted to drafting a first round wideout, as we have a guy named Keenan Allen, and have already drafted Palmer, who did just fine for a rookie, and can be expected to increase his production, 'specially if he gets more targets.... we can get a WR in FA as well.

we also absolutely cannot have Austin Ekeler as a one man show back there.... there was no excuse last season, and there is no excuse this offseason, not to have another top level back, back there.

we also cannot put ourselves in the position where we have to depend on the health of Trai Turner, Bulaga and now Linsley w/his back.... if you take a chance on a vet like that, you have to have a hedge in house.... Scho was an eleventh hour remedy, and Storm/Pips was evident in that we were dealt w/the short end of the straw when it came to the wildcard.

Tillery and Murray have to be hedged as well.... we also have no hedge/depth behind Cook nor Linval, and we are forced to reinforce there as well.

and like MW, isn't TT gonna be first in line for singing the praises of Nwosu.... that's a no go.... he's not someone you want to count on as your starter.... if he develops fine, but as of right now, he has not shown he is what we need opposite Bosa.... look @the playoff teams and the rush that some of them are getting from their front four/five.... we are a shell of those Dlines.

who is the leader of our defense.... who is our MLB/Mike ?? who let Denzel, Casey Hayward, and other valuable contributors go ?? sorry but Drue Tranquil is not your/a starting ILB, not to mention his health concerns.... ps. injuries and being prepared for them are part of the GM job description.... live by the sword, die by the sword.

there are other critical concerns as well, albeit I have (obviously) yet to properly sit w/things, and.... my apologies to the some of you for my rant, and believe it or not.... I do like Tom Telesco, and hence my suggestion to keep him within the Org.

ps. and know am gonna get p'shawed for this, but really think we need to bring Joe Brady in as well.... before N'awlins takes care of that.
                5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Yes, there is a difference in how each team operates the cap. DeSean Jackson didn't save them cap space since he wasn't traded. I am not sure about Kenny YOung but maybe that was to create a bit of space for other moves to keep under the cap

But, the Rams can take a bunch of cash from WalMart and take "salary" and convert to "bonus" to lower the cap number. The Spanii do not have the cash flow to do this I do not believe. And this is how the Rams fit all the players under the cap last offseason. They took the salaries of players, converted to signing bonus and pushed out into future years. And to do that, you need cash on hand I think - unless the player gets the money every two weeks during the season

I am not saying the Chargers should push out Bosa, Allen, Linsley and Davis to create $30m+ of cap space - but for a team like the Rams - its easier for them to do. The Chargers play things closer to the vest - not much future dead money - but that also means they are not going "all in" with getting players and working the cap like other teams.
                  The Spanos can do the same thing as the Rams and do a bunch of signing bonuses if they want to. 2003 and 2012 are good examples. It’s just that under Ed Maguire, they prefer to keep a healthy cap in place for more flexibility so that they’re not always having to restructure and push back money. Especially if there’s a bad signing. I would say that their method is fine, and it’s actually not the problem at all. Just do a better job of drafting and getting FAs.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

The Spanos can do the same thing as the Rams and do a bunch of signing bonuses if they want to. 2003 and 2012 are good examples. It’s just that under Ed Maguire, they prefer to keep a healthy cap in place for more flexibility so that they’re not always having to restructure and push back money. Especially if there’s a bad signing. I would say that their method is fine, and it’s actually not the problem at all. Just do a better job of drafting and getting FAs.
                    End of the day - you are correct

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                      Oh c'mon.
                      Tartt's drop is the story.
                      LAC pathway to championships is clear.
                      We are a different animal than LAR too.
                      very tough play for SF but hate for this to be the story.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

End of the day - you are correct
                        And these choices/non choices must come from TT and whomever the HC/coaching staff is, surely. The failure to make better player choices is a group failure. New group, new hope. Staley inherited a lot of guys on their rookie contract playing key spots, we have a lot of player decisions ahead, very curious moving forward.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

And these choices/non choices must come from TT and whomever the HC/coaching staff is, surely. The failure to make better player choices is a group failure. New group, new hope. Staley inherited a lot of guys on their rookie contract playing key spots, we have a lot of player decisions ahead, very curious moving forward.
                          Here is the thing - I am not really beholden to any soon to be free agent on the market

My only hope is that if you let a Uchenna Nwosu leave -you fill in with a player making the same or more and also a similar age. If Nwosu goes - you can't replace him with a 32 year old Von MIller - that doesn't make long term sense. Now if you bring back Nwosu and get Miller on a reasonable deal - that could be okay

Comment

Working...
                          X