• Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post

Could care less what big mouth on the field and tweeter thinks. Shut the fuck up, quit getting taunting penalties, and don't drop the rock as much next year....and the coin toss most likely did cost the Bills the game. If not for a near miraculous play by the Bengals on the interception it would have most likely cost them the game as well.
    I like this side of Keenan! Telling it like it is! Our defense was pure Shiite this season.

:coffee:
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

You are making the mistake that the contract will have an equal impact over the length of the contract. Almost all contract are backloaded such that the bigger cap hit comes towards the end, like with Keenan Allen. Allen might play the 2023 year of his current deal, but no way does he play the 2024 year with that insane number. So if we resign Mike Williams, as his cap number is going up, expect KA to renegotiate his number down or even be gone. We really can afford both of them without ending up in cap hell because the highs cap years will be somewhat staggered.
      exactly - thiis how you manage the cap

i still am trying to figure out why Popper thinks franchising Mike Williams would save money in the long term..and he thinks they have the cap space to franchise him. They do - but they can't improve the roster if they franchise williams and bring back players like Nwosu, White and Jones plus some other lower cost players

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
        I hope the front office can flip some of late picks to move up on draft board.
        Good idea. I wouldn't mind packaging a 6th and a 7th to move up for a late 5th...19.4 + 7.4 = 26.8, enough to swing that deal with the right partner:

bolts draft value chart 2022.JPG

Note: Comp picks not yet listed.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-V...equestTeam=lac

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post

Could care less what big mouth on the field and tweeter thinks. Shut the fuck up, quit getting taunting penalties, and don't drop the rock as much next year....and the coin toss most likely did cost the Bills the game. If not for a near miraculous play by the Bengals on the interception it would have most likely cost them the game as well.
          Bengals D adjusted and held the Chiefs to 3 points in the 2nd half. So it wasn’t just that one lone interception that did it. It wasn’t also miraculous. The miraculous thing was Mahomes getting away with dropped picks on the first two throws in OT before the actual pic. The Bengals spent big on defense the last two years, and it finally paid off this season. So props to them.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

One of the big problems I have going into FA is the idea that Nwosu is "good enough". I don't think he is.

Mostly it depends if he can continue to play at the same level as the end of the season. He is never going to be a big sack guy, but he does get some pressure and gets some tackles for loss, so he is not useless. But he is pretty inconsistent, so you have to wonder if he can sustain it.

It's going to come down to how much does he want to get paid and who else is available. Certainly adding another edge rusher makes a lot of sense, even if you think Rumph is going to develop (jury is still out).

The thing is having another edge rusher who can get sacks and pressure QB is the kind of thing that really helps to mask some other deficiencies. We could use them in addition to Nwosu and Bosa, rotating them 2/3 of the time each, plus a few more on 3rd downs rushing all 3. If Rumph develops, then we have a bit more depth and he and Nwosu would be good ST guys too.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              One of the big problems I have going into FA is the idea that Nwosu is "good enough". I don't think he is.

Mostly it depends if he can continue to play at the same level as the end of the season. He is never going to be a big sack guy, but he does get some pressure and gets some tackles for loss, so he is not useless. But he is pretty inconsistent, so you have to wonder if he can sustain it.

It's going to come down to how much does he want to get paid and who else is available. Certainly adding another edge rusher makes a lot of sense, even if you think Rumph is going to develop (jury is still out).

The thing is having another edge rusher who can get sacks and pressure QB is the kind of thing that really helps to mask some other deficiencies. We could use them in addition to Nwosu and Bosa, rotating them 2/3 of the time each, plus a few more on 3rd downs rushing all 3. If Rumph develops, then we have a bit more depth and he and Nwosu would be good ST guys too.
              My concern about Nwosu and also to a degree, Mike Williams - is the emotion of how they finished playing into the next contract.

And yes, dollars are a concern but I don't sign Nwosu because he takes an AAV of 6.5m if there are better players out there that might cost a bit more. He was very inconsisent as you state. I feel the same about Mike Williams.

Its a good thing the front office has time between the end of the season and middle of march to take emotion out of the decisions

GET. BETTER. PLAYERS. If that means turning over more of the roster - do it.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Good idea. I wouldn't mind packaging a 6th and a 7th to move up for a late 5th...19.4 + 7.4 = 26.8, enough to swing that deal with the right partner:

bolts draft value chart 2022.JPG

Note: Comp picks not yet listed.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-V...equestTeam=lac
                Comp picks usually come out after the combine.

Hell I would take trading the Chargers 6 and 7 for near the top of Round 6 based on the chart

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

1 yr w/ Staley muddies the water. Based on that Nwosu looked pretty good. Rumph is still a ??. How about Fackrell or another FA @ that level?
                  Pumping up the IDL with a top FA or draft pick serves 2 purposes, run D and take blocking attention away from edge.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

If Staley believes that Nwosu can continue getting better in his scheme, then they’ll try to keep him.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I know late draft picks look appealing, but by and large they are just roster fillers. And we need more than roster fillers at the back end of the roster to compete for championships
                      I agree with what you’re saying for the most part. However, since some posters here like to use the Rams as an example of what we should be doing, here’s an interesting counterpoint quote:

This is a different franchise than the other 31. But it is not a senseless franchise, just because it trades first-round picks the way the rest of us change socks. The outside world sees trading second- and third-round picks for a declining Von Miller, and trading two ones and a three plus Goff, plus money thrown in, for Stafford, who’d never won a playoff game or a division title in 12 Detroit years, and thinks it’s the most live-for-today team in recent football history. It might be, but hear them out.

“We’ve had the second-most draft choices in the league since Sean took over as coach,” Demoff said. “We just haven’t had them in the first round. We draft [Penn State safety] Nick Scott in the seventh round in 2019 as mostly a special teams player. When we draft guys in lower rounds, the goal is not to have them come in right away and play; it’s to train them so at some point they’re more than special-teams guys—they’ve got a chance to be key players.”

Scott’s a perfect example. With Covid and injuries battering the Rams in December, he started to see more playing time at safety, not just in the kicking game. He’s started all three playoff games, and last week in Tampa, he made one of the big plays of the season for the Rams, intercepting Tom Brady on the way to L.A.’s 30-27 win. Another six-tackle day Sunday helped the Rams get to the Super Bowl.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2021
                        • Send PM

Rams success and Chargers failure this year clearly shows the distinction between the GM philosophy.

Rams traded draft capital for experienced known quality players and picked up players galore during the season to CONTINUALLY improve.

Chargers hoarde draft picks and refused to bolster their pathetic defense mid season when it was obvious to everyone it was their Achilles heel.

Staley’s in game management may be aggressive but the GM moves or lack thereof are the opposite.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I agree with what you’re saying for the most part. However, since some posters here like to use the Rams as an example of what we should be doing, here’s an interesting counterpoint quote:

What the Rams say they are doing successfully is developing their late round picks without pressure to come in and play right away except on ST's. If that's what's happening its a tribute to that staff for finding guys with upside and developing them.

Comment

Working...
                          X