Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post

This particular event stopped when we moved to another home in Villa Park. The move was unrelated to anything I experienced. It did scare me at first but over time I got used to it. Nevertheless I've remained very curious about what was causing this. And after watching the real-life case that sparked the movie "The Exorcist" - on the Travel Channel - I'm even more fascinated due to the similarities between that case and what went on with me. Fuckin weird. I guess you can say "The Devil is in the details"...ha

I'd love to know what you experienced.
    When I was a boy, I used to have astral projection experiences, I felt like I would leave my inert body and float around the room when I was sleeping. I also dreamed repeatedly about my most recent past life. In my current life, I was born in 1957. In my previous life, that I dreamed about, I was a salesman in Chicago who was on the road a lot and I died in an auto accident in the late '40s or early '50s. I was in my 40s. The car I was killed in was a Ford Tudor, the style manufactured from 1949 to 1951, so it was after 1948. In my teens and early 20s had several clairvoyant dreams that cannot be explained by coincidence. When I had my out of body experiences as a boy, I could feel other presences, but I wasn't afraid. I would only become afraid during my conscious hours thinking about leaving my body, which made me fear I was vulnerable to being invaded by another being. I think the move the Exorcist, which came out when I was 16 in 1973, greatly influenced my fear.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

When I was a boy, I used to have astral projection experiences, I felt like I would leave my inert body and float around the room when I was sleeping. I also dreamed repeatedly about my most recent past life. In my current life, I was born in 1957. In my previous life, that I dreamed about, I was a salesman in Chicago who was on the road a lot and I died in an auto accident in the late '40s or early '50s. I was in my 40s. The car I was killed in was a Ford Tudor, the style manufactured from 1949 to 1951, so it was after 1948. In my teens and early 20s had several clairvoyant dreams that cannot be explained by coincidence. When I had my out of body experiences as a boy, I could feel other presences, but I wasn't afraid. I would only become afraid during my conscious hours thinking about leaving my body, which made me fear I was vulnerable to being invaded by another being. I think the move the Exorcist, which came out when I was 16 in 1973, greatly influenced my fear.
      A.W.E.S.O.M.E. I'll need some time to let that settle and see what comes up. That was/is great!

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Hadl2Alworth View Post
        The following is stuff I experienced when I was 13 years old and living in Villa Park, CA...

Should be noted a year or two before living in Villa Park I experienced something paranormal (me and my brother actually in Missouri).

Anyways, when I was 13 my bed would move in tight circles reminiscent of a vibration or shaking but not the same. In other words it was most definitely not earthquakes. The movement was so violent that my headboard would slam against the wall making a repeated thumping noise every night for a year. Those two things would take place every night when I was 13. Does any of this sound familiar to any of you? If not, kindly move on. Thank you
        Ive never experienced a paranormal type thing but know a couple of people that have. Not sure id want to. Think i wouldnt, but often wonder why certain people experience it and others dont. What you discribed would suck and at 13, real scary. Did you just get used to it? Id think your sleep would be really messed up for a year.

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Ive never experienced a paranormal type thing but know a couple of people that have. Not sure id want to. Think i wouldnt, but often wonder why certain people experience it and others dont. What you discribed would suck and at 13, real scary. Did you just get used to it? Id think your sleep would be really messed up for a year.
          I learned what letting go was about. It maybe wasn't the healthiest thing for me at the time to deal with it by myself but considering my options (telling my abusive father, my new money-hungry step-mom, and my abandoning mom) it was the best thing I could do. I've rarely slept well...even before all that stuff started.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Send PM

This is Bond week. The first James Bond movie, Dr. No, premiered 60 years ago in the first week of October 1962. In a very small way my dad has a connection to the legend of James Bond.

When I was 7 or 8 years in 1964 or '65 I got to stay with my aunt for a week and she took me one night to see a double feature - From Russia With Love and Goldfinger, the 2nd and 3rd films in the Bond franchise. I was mesmerized by both movies. I had never seen anything like these films. I wanted to be James Bond. I begged for and received at Christmas the toy James Bond briefcase with sniper's rifle, throwing knife and gold sovereigns 007 used in From Russia With Love. I was obsessed with all things Bond. My dad was not able to be much of a role model for me, so from boyhood into my early adult years, James Bond was my role model.

I am sure that my father was never aware of his connection to the legend of James Bond. It was classified information for decades after the war, only declassified in the 1990s, long after my father had died. My father never talked to me about his WWII experiences. He served in the Canadian army and was captured during a large commando raid at German-occupied Dieppe, France in August 1942. He spent the rest of the war as a POW. The raid at Dieppe was a complete and total fiasco for the allies. It was a British operation mounted by Lord Mountbatten, but carried out mostly by Canadian troops, with a few British commandos and 50 U.S. Rangers - the first action the newly created Rangers saw. But the Germans were waiting for them and stopped them on the beach, without any objectives being accomplished. I think 68 percent of my father's regiment was killed or captured. For decades after the raid, long after the war, the debate continued over just what the British were hoping to accomplish at Dieppe. What was its purpose? Too many military historians, it seemed like a colossal waste of lives of Allied soldiers.

Enter Ian Fleming, the creator of James Bond. During the war, long before he created James Bond, Fleming was an officer in British naval intelligence. In 1942, Britain was desperate to stop the carnage being wrought by German submarines in the Atlantic, and they were desperate to get their hands on anything that might help them break the code of the German Enigma machine - the encrypting device the Kriegsmarine used to communicate with their U boats in the Atlantic. It turns out - as uncovered by a Canadian historian and writer a few years ago - that the Dieppe Raid was actually a cover operation - a smoke screen devised by Ian Fleming - so Fleming's own commando unit could sneak in and steal Enigma code books - or even a machine itself - from the German naval HQ at Dieppe, without the Germans realizing they had been "pinched" and the Enigma compromised.

None of these objectives were realized. The boat carrying Fleming's commandos tried but failed to breach the inner harbor at Dieppe, but the German fire was too intense, and the boat had to withdraw. My father was pinned down behind a knocked out Churchill tank on the beach next to the harbor while this was going on. His regiment, the Essex Scottish, in which he was a Sgt., had been tasked with the main frontal assault on German positions defending the harbor. But the Germans pinned down his regiment as soon as they exited their landing craft. They never got off the beach. The Germans killed 1,000 Canadians on the beach; another 2,000 were captured, my father included.

Nothing about Fleming and his commandos' involvement at Dieppe was known at the time, it was top secret to prevent the Germans from learning the British were trying to compromise their Enigma through pinch operations. I'm sure my father never knew, even though elements of his regiment were supposed to help the commandos pinch documents and/or an Enigma during the raid. Everything about Fleming's involvement at Dieppe was kept classified until the 1990s. After the war, Fleming became a writer and created James Bond in the 1950s with a series of novels. Fleming has said he modeled Bond, in part, after the commandos he rubbed elbows with in the war. Though my father's regiment was technically not a commando unit, it did receive extensive commando training and the Dieppe Raid was a commando operation.

In the late 1990s a Canadian writer and historian went to England and starting sifting through the recently declassified documents that told the story - previously unknown - of Fleming's involvement at Dieppe. The Dieppe Raid is still controversial in Canada today because so many Canadian solders were killed, wounded or captured. The writer's name is David O'Keefe, and he has written a book about Fleming's involvement at Dieppe, titled One Day in August. Another book published last year - about a Jewish commando unit that was also at Dieppe supposedly to help pinch Enigma materials - confirms that the Dieppe Raid was a smoke screen for the pinch operation. I have not read this book, but it's titled: X-Troop: The Secret Jewish Commandos of World War Two.

Comment

• UtahBolt
              Did we win?
              • Jun 2013
              • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
              • Send PM

Thanks for this Velo! Fascinating. I consider myself a pretty well informed student of WWII and can talk many of the war's tactics, strategies, nuances, etc. with anyone. However, despite knowing of the Dieppe raid and of course the Enigma machine as well, I never had any idea that the raid was a cover to capture the Enigma? That is the great thing about being a student of WWII, you will NEVER know everything and it is exciting when something new is learned! Damn what a steep price to pay for a failed a mission. Capturing the Enigma would lead to ending the war sooner and ultimately save thousands of Allied lives but not those 1000s that died or were captured on the beach that day. What a waste...
              I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post
                Thanks for this Velo! Fascinating. I consider myself a pretty well informed student of WWII and can talk many of the war's tactics, strategies, nuances, etc. with anyone. However, despite knowing of the Dieppe raid and of course the Enigma machine as well, I never had any idea that the raid was a cover to capture the Enigma? That is the great thing about being a student of WWII, you will NEVER know everything and it is exciting when something new is learned! Damn what a steep price to pay for a failed a mission. Capturing the Enigma would lead to ending the war sooner and ultimately save thousands of Allied lives but not those 1000s that died or were captured on the beach that day. What a waste...
                You might enjoy David O'Keefe's book, One Day In August, I think there are used copies available on Amazon for cheap. I've never met him, but he's a Facebook friend, and he posts about it all the time. Here is a link to a piece in the Guardian last year about the other book. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...enigma-machine

History Hit just did a piece about it as well, linked here: https://access.historyhit.com/videos/hhp-ww-0036 You have to have a membership to watch, but they offer a free trial and they have a lot of WWII content.

Here is a vid of a radio interview with Ian Fleming talking about Bond in 1963, shortly before he died, at about 1:50 he lets it slip he was at Dieppe, "a bloody affair." Later he talks about modeling Bond, in part, after the commandos.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Here is a link on Amazon for O'Keefe's book. You can see used hard copies are available for cheap, with a modest shipping charge. He probably doesn't appreciate me peddling the used copies though, he doesn't make any from those, I don't think.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I don't know about oxidized LDL, it's not something my cardiologist has ever discussed with me. I effing hate statins and the side effects and I refuse to take them. My cardiologist prescribed Repatha, an injectable cholesterol med, but it's uber expensive and my insurer balked. So I'm going without. My LDL is pretty low so it's not a big concern. I eat a 100 percent plant-based diet - no meat, no dairy, no eggs - and that is one big factor why it is low. And I try to keep my body in reasonably good condition. But the older you get the harder it is to keep the LDL low.
                    I eat 3 or 4 eggs for breakfast. I tried a strict vegan diet for two years a long time ago and spent too much explosive time on the crapper.

Emma Morano, who will turn 117 on November 27, gobbles up at least two eggs a day, and has done so for 90 years — for an egg-streme lifetime total she says is over 100,000.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

I had a dream about the Dallas Cowboys. It looked like they are in the Super Bowl. They were in their navy blue jersey. The opponent was dressed in white uniform. I don't know if this dream is something that is going to happen, or if it's telling me something else.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

The team in white was the Bills. I think what I saw was Buffalo and Dallas are going to play in the Super Bowl. I saw other things in the dream too, but I can't remember it well enough.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

My youngest daughter got married this weekend. Time is just flying by. Seems like just yesterday she was a toddler running around and now she is all grown up. I guess I am OAF, as my kids like to say!

Comment

Working...
                          X