• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post
    Hopefully this doesnt go sour like with previeous 2 great safeties in Harrison and Weddle.
    They both got their big second contracts with us.

Comment

• Parcells
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
      I'm fine with Derwin sitting out, at least he is not getting injured in camp again
      A small part of me wonders if this is an excuse to just keep him from practicing. Both sides seem supremely confident a deal will get done.

Comment

• Xenos
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

A small part of me wonders if this is an excuse to just keep him from practicing. Both sides seem supremely confident a deal will get done.
        I don’t know about excuse but I feel that things are more optimistic than most contract disputes. I could be completely wrong if the season starts and there’s no deal. I think I honestly wasn’t expecting them to work on a contract this year given our recent offseason splurge.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I don’t know about excuse but I feel that things are more optimistic than most contract disputes. I could be completely wrong if the season starts and there’s no deal. I think I honestly wasn’t expecting them to work on a contract this year given our recent offseason splurge.
          I didn't think a contract was going to be worked out with DJ either. Given all the other priorities that lie ahead. James injury issues/history are a concern. But if Derwin can stay on the field and do the same thing that Keenan Allen did in 2017 and 2018 (after KA missed most of the previous two years), maintaining his level of play, then people will better about DJ.

Oh and it's the off-season. People don't have better things to do and are going to be nosy about stuff.

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

I didn't think a contract was going to be worked out with DJ either. Given all the other priorities that lie ahead. James injury issues/history are a concern. But if Derwin can stay on the field and do the same thing that Keenan Allen did in 2017 and 2018 (after KA missed most of the previous two years), maintaining his level of play, then people will better about DJ.

Oh and it's the off-season. People don't have better things to do and are going to be nosy about stuff.
            Getting an extension done this year would be an unexpected surprise essentially. A nice surprise.

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Another day, another no contract extension. We've got roughly one month until our 1st game. Is it reasonable to expect James to be ready to play if he misses all/most/a good portion of TC (including what time he might get in the PS games)?

Like someone else posted, we don't know specifically what the issue(s) are that are preventing this deal from getting done. Is it money? Specifically, guaranteed money? Length of contract? Maybe the team wants some sort of injury "insurance", given James' history? Hard to take sides when we don't know the details.

Being somewhat of a pessimist at heart, I'm starting to try and get my head around what the fallback strategy might be in the more and more likely scenario that James isn't around. In other words, the coaching staff had better be burning the midnight oil coming up with some way to compensate for a roster that doesn't include Derwin James.

Very frustrating. And I tend to get down on players who pull stunts like this.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                Charger Fan till the end
                • Jun 2013
                • North Carolina
                • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I get what you are saying but im sure from his viewpoint hes being named a top 5 safety (some the #1) and being paid very little comparatively to the top 5. Granted hes got a contract that covers this year but my concern too would be if i injure myself now im massively affecting a major contract next year…its the BIG $$ contract thats on the line that would be a problem for me too. If he was the 32nd rated safety thats 1 thing but hes not and hes the star in the db core that calls the plays on defense. We know Staley and DJ are in love with eachother in the football sense so a deal will be figured out.

Normally im on the finish your contract thinking but i completely get DJ here…I dont see it as selfishness…its protecting his next major contract thats at stake. I think TT gets it too. There is time and I think getting the other safeties time to get valuable practice time is actually a very positive outcome too. DJ lives and breaths the defense…im not very concerned about him missing time right now.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

They both got their big second contracts with us.
                  Weddle was a dick after getting his over-priced contract. No love for that guy here.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Riverwalk
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

….. Is it reasonable to expect James to be ready to play if he misses all/most/a good portion of TC (including what time he might get in the PS games).
                    Its keeping him healthy. As long as he stays conditioned with strength and endurance exercises, he’ll be good to go. I’m not concerned.

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Another day, another no contract extension. We've got roughly one month until our 1st game. Is it reasonable to expect James to be ready to play if he misses all/most/a good portion of TC (including what time he might get in the PS games)?

Like someone else posted, we don't know specifically what the issue(s) are that are preventing this deal from getting done. Is it money? Specifically, guaranteed money? Length of contract? Maybe the team wants some sort of injury "insurance", given James' history? Hard to take sides when we don't know the details.

Being somewhat of a pessimist at heart, I'm starting to try and get my head around what the fallback strategy might be in the more and more likely scenario that James isn't around. In other words, the coaching staff had better be burning the midnight oil coming up with some way to compensate for a roster that doesn't include Derwin James.

He’ll play this year if he’s healthy. And I still don’t understand why you’re down on Derwin. This isn’t a Weddle situation.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

The one and only issue with James is his durability. He is a phenomenal talent, coaches love him, his teammates love him and (most) fans love him. He wants to get paid and the team wants to protect itself so things take more time than impatient fans want, but in the end it will get done. The Chargers love to extend their own known draft picks and Derwin is next.

Comment

• QSmokey
                          Guardedly Optimistic
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Kuna, Idaho
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

He'll play this year if he's healthy. And I still don't understand why you're down on Derwin. This isn't a Weddle situation.
                          It's not James, per se. It's just that I think a guy should be playing if he's under contract. I mean, how is this any different than Herbert - who has accomplished a hell of a lot more than James in his short career - "holding in" to get an early contract extension? What's preventing ANY player from doing that?

I get what RPTBolt is saying (in a post, above) about James having to look out for #1. But if he's such a Team First guy, as a number of posters have said/implied, then I feel he should be playing under his current contract while at the same time having his agent work with Telesco on an extension. It's not an either/or, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍