• Show
Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

I've said this in a few posts: I really like James. He's a fantastic talent; seems to be a good person; we're better with him than without him; and it appears as if he wants to be here. All very good signs.

What I *don't* get - if it's indeed true what others have suggested - is how he can justify being the highest paid safety in the NFL. I understand that WANTS to be the highest paid at his position - who wouldn't want that? - but the question is: Does he deserve that designation? Given his lack of durability/injury history, that has to be factored in; and is probably the biggest sticking point in his contract negotiations.

Some guys have an inflated view of their worth - and maybe James is being given not-so-great advice from his agent - but I guess I'm old school when it comes to this kind of standoff. I believe a player should earn his keep first (see: Justin Herbert, Austin Ekeler, Joey Bosa), and not be paid so much on potential alone.

Comment

• FoutsFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Birmingham AL
      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
      I've said this in a few posts: I really like James. He's a fantastic talent; seems to be a good person; we're better with him than without him; and it appears as if he wants to be here. All very good signs.

What I *don't* get - if it's indeed true what others have suggested - is how he can justify being the highest paid safety in the NFL. I understand that WANTS to be the highest paid at his position - who wouldn't want that? - but the question is: Does he deserve that designation? Given his lack of durability/injury history, that has to be factored in; and is probably the biggest sticking point in his contract negotiations.

Some guys have an inflated view of their worth - and maybe James is being given not-so-great advice from his agent - but I guess I'm old school when it comes to this kind of standoff. I believe a player should earn his keep first (see: Justin Herbert, Austin Ekeler, Joey Bosa), and not be paid so much on potential alone.
      Well he has Staley there every day telling him he is the greatest defensive player in the NFL and wanting to arrange his entire defense around him. Maybe Staley should have talked him down instead of up?

Comment

• Xenos
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I feel that Derwin has earned his keep based on his plays in 2018 and 2021. He is the best safety in the NFL. The concern is obviously the previous injuries.

Additionally, contracts are almost always going to escalate regardless if the player is the best or not. Joe Flacco was the highest paid QB at one point in 2013, and he was at best a top 10 QB before that contract.

We can make Derwin the highest paid safety now and it can bite us in the rear if he gets injured too much. Or we can make him the highest paid safety and he plays at the same excellent level as before, and his contract becomes a bargain in a couple of years.

One last thing. As I mentioned before, I didn’t even think we were going to look at his contract this year. I guess it feels like an extra bonus if it somehow gets done before next offseason. Part of why I’m not frustrated or worried.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

I like Derwin. I think he is a very good safety. But I don't think he's best in the NFL. If he were that good, the Chargers' defense would not have been that bad last season. I've watched him get trucked trying to defend the run. It's a weakness in his game IMO. Add in that he's missed half his NFL career due to injury, and I don't think he has a case to be paid like the game's top safety.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I feel that Derwin has earned his keep based on his plays in 2018 and 2021. He is the best safety in the NFL. The concern is obviously the previous injuries.

Additionally, contracts are almost always going to escalate regardless if the player is the best or not. Joe Flacco was the highest paid QB at one point in 2013, and he was at best a top 10 QB before that contract.

We can make Derwin the highest paid safety now and it can bite us in the rear if he gets injured too much. Or we can make him the highest paid safety and he plays at the same excellent level as before, and his contract becomes a bargain in a couple of years.

One last thing. As I mentioned before, I didn’t even think we were going to look at his contract this year. I guess it feels like an extra bonus if it somehow gets done before next offseason. Part of why I’m not frustrated or worried.
            Derwin has only so many opportunities tomake the money he can potentially make. I don't have a problem with him "holding in" as he seems to be around the players, coaches and meetings. If he were physically not there - might be an issue. Its no big deal.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
              I like Derwin. I think he is a very good safety. But I don't think he's best in the NFL. If he were that good, the Chargers' defense would not have been that bad last season. I've watched him get trucked trying to defend the run. It's a weakness in his game IMO. Add in that he's missed half his NFL career due to injury, and I don't think he has a case to be paid like the game's top safety.
              He sealed the game against the Raiders last season. Was in the sideline when we really needed him in the second half of that KC game. I like Derwin and he’s a tremendous athlete but I can’t name a handful of game changing plays he’s made.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

If they can't get a deal done with Derwin...when the 49ers dump Jimmy GQ's salary they'll have enough to pay what Derwin's asking, with Lance on his 2nd year of his rookie contract. Maybe trade Derwin to SF for Jimmie Ward plus a 2nd round pick. Ward is a a bit older - 31 - but he's still playing a high level.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

If they can't get a deal done with Derwin...when the 49ers dump Jimmy GQ's salary they'll have enough to pay what Derwin's asking, with Lance on his 2nd year of his rookie contract. Maybe trade Derwin to SF for Jimmie Ward plus a 2nd round pick. Ward is a a bit older - 31 - but he's still playing a high level.
                  Why -- he is not a free agent until next spring and they can franchise him

Comment

• Xenos
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

He sealed the game against the Raiders last season. Was in the sideline when we really needed him in the second half of that KC game. I like Derwin and he’s a tremendous athlete but I can’t name a handful of game changing plays he’s made.
                    A lot of what he does is unseen on television. Kelce didn’t go off until he was out of the game.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Why -- he is not a free agent until next spring and they can franchise him
                      That's assuming Derwin will play for the Chargers again until he gets a new contract. I don't think Derwin wants to take the field again until he gets it. If they can't come to an agreement now, I guess I expect Derwin to hold out and ask for a trade. What do you think?

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

A lot of what he does is unseen on television. Kelce didn’t go off until he was out of the game.
                        I’m at the home games so I see. He is a defensive weapon for sure. Just trying to remember any big time plays. And yes he was out of the against KC in the second half which is the problem

Comment

• RTPbolt
                          Charger Fan till the end
                          • Jun 2013
                          • North Carolina
                          • Send PM

That's assuming Derwin will play for the Chargers again until he gets a new contract. I don't think Derwin wants to take the field again until he gets it. If they can't come to an agreement now, I guess I expect Derwin to hold out and ask for a trade. What do you think?
                          Based on what information do you think he wont take the field? To me its purely speculative.

Historically i think ive seen many hold out and not show up at all if tyey intend to not play till a new deal is done….usually with threats of it too….see our little QB friend in AZ. No real info on where each side is at has been leaked nor a statement indicating he wont play on his current contract. His sit in is far more soft and positive from a negotiating stance at this point….gets the point across he wants a new deal but hes vested in this team by being there. I think James will step in at some point because he wants on the field and his $ deal is going to be easily top 3 safety money spread out over 5 or more years to make the deal look big. Hes also a team leader which to me hes also demonstrating by being there to impact the team less.

it should get done by sept 4th or 5th in my opinion so he is there for raiduh prep.

Comment

Working...
                          X