• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post

Based on what information do you think he wont take the field? To me its purely speculative.

Historically i think ive seen many hold out and not show up at all if tyey intend to not play till a new deal is done….usually with threats of it too….see our little QB friend in AZ. No real info on where each side is at has been leaked nor a statement indicating he wont play on his current contract. His sit in is far more soft and positive from a negotiating stance at this point….gets the point across he wants a new deal but hes vested in this team by being there. I think James will step in at some point because he wants on the field and his $ deal is going to be easily top 3 safety money spread out over 5 or more years to make the deal look big. Hes also a team leader which to me hes also demonstrating by being there to impact the team less.

it should get done by sept 4th or 5th in my opinion so he is there for raiduh prep.
    He won’t take the field until he has to for the season to count. If he’s not taking the field during practice he’s less likely to take the field in a real game without an extension. Until he has to

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post

Based on what information do you think he wont take the field? To me its purely speculative.

Historically i think ive seen many hold out and not show up at all if tyey intend to not play till a new deal is done….usually with threats of it too….see our little QB friend in AZ. No real info on where each side is at has been leaked nor a statement indicating he wont play on his current contract. His sit in is far more soft and positive from a negotiating stance at this point….gets the point across he wants a new deal but hes vested in this team by being there. I think James will step in at some point because he wants on the field and his $ deal is going to be easily top 3 safety money spread out over 5 or more years to make the deal look big. Hes also a team leader which to me hes also demonstrating by being there to impact the team less.

it should get done by sept 4th or 5th in my opinion so he is there for raiduh prep.
      I believe you are correct about everything you say here. I guess my feeling is that if they can't get a deal done - if the Chargers cannot or will not pay what Derwin is seeking - then the relationship between Derwin and the Chargers will be damaged to the point that it's better for all involved to move him to another team willing to meet his price, and get a player in return who can fill his shoes to some degree. Another team that comes to mind is the Packers - they have a couple of good safeties. But, with Rodgers' contract, I don't know if they could/would pay Derwin what he wants.

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

That's assuming Derwin will play for the Chargers again until he gets a new contract. I don't think Derwin wants to take the field again until he gets it. If they can't come to an agreement now, I guess I expect Derwin to hold out and ask for a trade. What do you think?
        Like everyone has said, there's still time to get it done before the season starts, and it appears that only a few of us are concerned about the situation. I'm one of those few. I also agree with you: I don't think James suits up until/unless a new contract is inked. I appreciate that this hasn't, to date, become a big news story (i.e., a distraction), but if it blossoms into a full-blown hold OUT, then I think some level of distraction is inevitable.

Will he demand a trade? Well, if he does, I'm not going to have much sympathy for him. For me, historically, if a player puts the team in his rear view mirror, then I have no problem doing the same thing with the player himself. If he doesn't want to be here, then good riddance I say. Additionally, if signing James to an overblown contract, a year before we can start negotiating with Herbert on an extension, is going to put us in cap hell (or force us to cut loose a couple of other players we would otherwise have liked to retain), then maybe a trade - if he decides to go that route - wouldn't be such a bad thing?

This is the part of being a football fan that I absolutely hate.

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

He won’t take the field until he has to for the season to count. If he’s not taking the field during practice he’s less likely to take the field in a real game without an extension. Until he has to
          It's a two edged sword. What if the Chargers are doing at least good on defense without Derwin? Two out of the four years he's been out of commission and we had to make do without him in the line-up. If he wants 5 years at $20 mil and all guaranteed it's time to let him seek another team for a trade.

:coffee:

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Like everyone has said, there's still time to get it done before the season starts, and it appears that only a few of us are concerned about the situation. I'm one of those few. I also agree with you: I don't think James suits up until/unless a new contract is inked. I appreciate that this hasn't, to date, become a big news story (i.e., a distraction), but if it blossoms into a full-blown hold OUT, then I think some level of distraction is inevitable.

Will he demand a trade? Well, if he does, I'm not going to have much sympathy for him. For me, historically, if a player puts the team in his rear view mirror, then I have no problem doing the same thing with the player himself. If he doesn't want to be here, then good riddance I say. Additionally, if signing James to an overblown contract, a year before we can start negotiating with Herbert on an extension, is going to put us in cap hell (or force us to cut loose a couple of other players we would otherwise have liked to retain), then maybe a trade - if he decides to go that route - wouldn't be such a bad thing?

Couldn’t agree more.

Derwin is and should be a Charger for life. Difficult to execute during these times I know but he is different. Let him negotiate with his own agent, the importance to him (client) of winning a Super Bowl and bounty that shall bring.

Live to fight another day, but now is NOT the time.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Every contract the Chargers give out going forward will revolve around what they are going to have to pay Herbert soon. It's not going to be possible to pay everybody. We are seeing teams with QBs who've gotten top-tier contracts trade away other top talent because they can't afford them. I'm speaking of the Chiefs trading Hill of course. Even the Titans decided to trade AJ Brown rather than pay him. On top of this, the Chargers are not a cash-rich team; ownership doesn't have deep pockets. Staley/Telesco/Spanos probably want to give Derwin what he's asking, with some caveat about his injury history. But they have a limit to what they can pay Derwin with Herbert's contract extension on the near horizon (next spring). I hope they get a deal done that locks up Derwin for the next several years. But, from here forward, there is going to be talent we all want to see remain on the Chargers' roster that they simply will not be able to pay, due to what it's going to cost to keep Herbert a Charger.

Comment

• Xenos
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I’m at the home games so I see. He is a defensive weapon for sure. Just trying to remember any big time plays. And yes he was out of the against KC in the second half which is the problem
                If JT Woods plays his part well this year, Derwin can actually make more splash plays versus having five different hats.

Comment

• Xenos
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

That's assuming Derwin will play for the Chargers again until he gets a new contract. I don't think Derwin wants to take the field again until he gets it. If they can't come to an agreement now, I guess I expect Derwin to hold out and ask for a trade. What do you think?
                  I can’t see him holding out when the season begins unless negotiations turn ugly. Everything is currently amicable despite the hold up.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

If JT Woods plays his part well this year, Derwin can actually make more splash plays versus having five different hats.
                    Maybe. I actually like him playing closer to the line of scrimmage.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

I missed this, but a few days ago a Bleacher Report writer named Derwin as one of 5 NFL stars who could request a trade over failed contract negotiations.

There have been a handful of trades during the 2022 NFL offseason already and more could be coming down the pipeline in the coming months. There are several...

If the extension talks continue to drag out, the Bolts risk further alienating their star defender. With James heading into the final year of his rookie contract, he might wind up requesting a trade if he can't come to terms with the Chargers.

Comment

• Xenos
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

I missed this, but a few days ago a Bleacher Report writer named Derwin as one of 5 NFL stars who could request a trade over failed contract negotiations.

There have been a handful of trades during the 2022 NFL offseason already and more could be coming down the pipeline in the coming months. There are several...

That’s stupid by bleacher report.

Comment

• Xenos
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Tweets like this one is why I’m unconcerned. And also why I advise patience. He’ll play this year with or without an extension IMO.

Comment

Working...
                          X