• Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

That’s what in season trades are for.
    And I will counter that Telesco/John Spanos combo isn't competent enough to be spending the Chargers draft capital. Now, if we had a competent GM making that pick, I am a GM John Dorsey fan personally, I think you and I could come together on a player - and a return value - in agreement in rather quick order. But we have a GM who is 73-79 in 10 years - The Chargers would have to go on a 6 game win streak for Telesco to be at .500 for his career record - therefore Telesco is not the guy I want touching the Chargers 2023 draft picks.

https://chargedupbolts.com/blog/is-it-time-for-the-chargers-to-fire-tom-telesco

This article points out that Telesco's players being injured at an alarming rate goes back to his first year in 2013.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      Staley is going to live and die with Lombardi (from Popper):
      He should talk to Lynn about his buddy George Stewart

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

That's what I was afraid of.

But totally predictable. Staley hired this guy who was an OC but one time and it ended in abject failure. And, yet, because of sentiment (being Brandon's former college coach), he did what NO other team would do - hire him to run the entire offense.

Said at the time I was disappointed. And, at the time, I knew if it wasn't working (ala Detroit and know us) that he wouldn't drop him. Too much sentimentality.

So we're stuck with him as long as we have Staley.

Which is a shame.
        There is a little nuance to it. We DID have the 5th rated offense last year, whether people here liked the approach or not... We have the 16th ranked offense this year with all the injuries. If Staley believes with some health that we can get back to what we did last year, it makes total sense that he has belief in him.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
          French Speaking Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Québec city
          • Send PM

Need for some positive ?
          KA is back.
          Linslay will be fresh
          We don't absolutly need JC at CB
          K. Mack is a beast
          Imagine with Bosa

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Staley is going to live and die with Lombardi (from Popper)
            Yep...Captain Staley in classic form, goes down with the ship, with Lombo the 1st mate helmsman steering the Boltanic into one iceberg after another...

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
              Chargers Hall of Fame
              • Sep 2019
              • Send PM

There is a little nuance to it. We DID have the 5th rated offense last year, whether people here liked the approach or not... We have the 16th ranked offense this year with all the injuries. If Staley believes with some health that we can get back to what we did last year, it makes total sense that he has belief in him.
              Every positive thing about our offense and it's stats is wholly because we have Justin Herbert. He wildly succeeded with a crappy O-line and an Anthony Lynn mindset his rookie year. He succeeded his first year in Joe Lombardi's offense. And now this. But the record is the record. And the overall stats don't show the picture of not being able to get those meaningful long drives to end games. Far too many 3-and-outs. Or needing Herbert to convert an insane and unbelievable amount of 4th down throws in order to have a chance to win.

It's all Herbert. And I believe he's doing this with everything stacked against him, including the injury. But primarily in spite of Lombo's failure as an OC.

Comment

• Berserker76
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Good points, but majority of teams backups are legitimate 2nd stringers. Most of the Charger backups don’t even belong in the league.

Over the past decade, Telesco has had difficulty getting quality starters at each position and the backups totally suck.

Injuries are always going to happen. It’s the same thing year after year. Starters get injured and season is over.
                This. Our lack of quality backups has been an issue as long as TT has been our GM. Throughout the past few years I've been paying more attention to how well our backups play compared to those on other NFL teams. There are always exceptions, of course, but overall It's pretty ugly.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

That's what I was afraid of.

But totally predictable. Staley hired this guy who was an OC but one time and it ended in abject failure. And, yet, because of sentiment (being Brandon's former college coach), he did what NO other team would do - hire him to run the entire offense.

Said at the time I was disappointed. And, at the time, I knew if it wasn't working (ala Detroit and know us) that he wouldn't drop him. Too much sentimentality.

So we're stuck with him as long as we have Staley.

Which is a shame.
                  Staley's inaffectiveness as a d-coordinator concerns me more than Lombo

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                    Chargers Hall of Fame
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Staley’s ineffectiveness as a d-coordinator comes as a shock to us all.

But everyone could see the data on Lombo when he was hired and could have easily predicted this. And he still got hired. So perhaps you could say Staley’s ineffectiveness at selecting coaches for his staff was evident early on.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

Lombardi has to go.

Stafford regressed with him as OC, now he is doing the same thing to Herbert. It is more than the injuries.

no run game, in 6 of 7 games under 100 yards, even against Seattle who have leagues 2nd worst run defence
                      offence terribly predictable scripted and unscripted
                      last game average play was little over 4 yards, defences are just sitting back and saying thank you
                      no half time adjustments and weak 2nd halfs
                      slow starts and team falling behind early in games

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Gus Bradley may be available...

:smh:

Comment

• Boltgang74
                          We Are The Storm!
                          • Aug 2018
                          • Send PM

Either Staley shit cans Lamebo or he's as lame as his OC.If he is too good of a pal to Staley then they both need to go.

Comment

Working...
                          X