• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

and I’d like Lombo replaced … next year. I don’t know what the endless bitching about him this year is doing for anyone
    People vent on a forum when there’s something to vent about. Human nature.

Comment

• LinksterAC
      San Diego Chargers Fan
      • Sep 2022
      • San Diego County
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Do you mean that we can get more from EK ?
      Wasn't the crux of my point, but since you mentioned it: Yeah, I think we could. He's a phenomenal talent.

Comment

• LinksterAC
        San Diego Chargers Fan
        • Sep 2022
        • San Diego County
        • Send PM

No, just implying the obvious that I’d rather win with a shitty offense than lose with a great one. The history of the best Charger teams post-AFL is teams that had great offenses and lost when it mattered. I’m results oriented.

and I’d like Lombo replaced … next year. I don’t know what the endless bitching about him this year is doing for anyone
        Oh, I agree that the change should come next year. It just seemed like many in here were defending his performance in the way one might if they intended to keep him, so I chimed in on why I thought he didn't deserve another go.

I'd gladly win with a shitty offense, but so far this team hasn't won more than the teams I mentioned in the regular season & has a long way to go before it equals the 2007 Chargers in the postseason. Perhaps we can revisit then!

Comment

• Maniaque 6
          French Speaking Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Québec city
          • Send PM

I have more confidence in this year's Chargers than the 95 SuperBowl's edition.

Comment

• LinksterAC
            San Diego Chargers Fan
            • Sep 2022
            • San Diego County
            • Send PM

Je ne suis pas d'accord. Mais, j'aime l'esprit de confidence.

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

No, just implying the obvious that I’d rather win with a shitty offense than lose with a great one. The history of the best Charger teams post-AFL is teams that had great offenses and lost when it mattered. I’m results oriented.

Tough crowd.
              Id imagine Ekeler and Williams like what Lombo had been doing with them. Same with Allen. We are as pass happy of an offense as any team in the league. The numbers prove it.
              The overall air yards go down when you run an offense that uses short pass on purpose to get your player makers the ball quickly. Deep shot are longer development plays and Chargers don't block well enough to call those plays at a high rate. Short pass, short pass, run, run, short pass, short pass, deep shot open but pressure got there. Another deep shot try but wasn't there so check down. That what is happening. So it looked like Chargers are not even trying. But they are trying to push the ball more than is appears. At times because Herbert is probably still protecting himself he doesn't stay patient with deep route and gets off it quickly and dumps short. Aikman pointing this out last game saying Herbert had chunk play open but moved off it too quick and threw it short.

Every year there is one coach and or player that Chargers fans make a scapegoat for loses or inconsistent play or not blowing teams out as if that is a normal occurrence in the NFL.
              At times it seems like quite a few Charger fans think every play needs to be big gain TD or it a shit call and every defense play needs to be a tackle for loss or sack or it's also a shit call.

Last year Mahomes in Andy Reid offense with Tyreek there and of course Kelce. 7.4yds per pass attempt.

Herbert last year was 7.5 per attempt. A tick better per attempt than Mahomes.

Mahomes air yards per pass attempt last year 7.3

Herbert air yards per pass attempt last year 7.6

This year Herbert is way down 6.3 but I feel that has to do with Ribs, OL and missing WRs more than anything else. Justin is protecting himself more this year and I don't blame him. Those ribs are still not healed.

Mahomes also down a tick 7.1 air yards.

The really issues is scoring TDs in the RedZone.
              They have to get better there. The best way to do that is block better and just run the ball in because there isn't a lot of space to pass. And once you are able to run it in then the play action off that is wide open. They simply have to get better at blocking in the redzone to score more TDs.

Mahomes also creates backyard TD plays at a rate that Herbert is never going to do. A number of TDs for Mahomes has nothing to do with Andy Reid play calls. It backyard football and Mahomes magic.

Even Staley answered this past week when asked about explosive play calls said we did call them, but we didn't execute well enough. I saw it , wide open deep shot and the blocking didn't hold up and Herbert was sacked. 4 times.

Why would you call even more deep shots of your QB gets sacked trying to execute the play. That just dumb play calling at that point.

So Lombo did the trick play with Kelley to Herbert to Allen to create enough space and time for explosive play.

Again we are the most pass happy team in the league. So I guess it's has to be that we throw it short to much. That exact what Brady did to win all his Superbowls. So it's not like there isn't a track record for nickel and dime your way to promise land.
              ​​​​
              Also I would hate to change coaches and schemes. It would force Herbert to learn a new system

FWIW Brian Daboll has the least amount of 20plus yard pass plays in the entire league. 25 of them. Lombo offense has 47 of them.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by LinksterAC View Post

Je ne suis pas d'accord. Mais, j'aime l'esprit de confidence.
                The 94 Super Bowl team staggered down the stretch of the regular season.
                They barely beat Pittsburgh's backups at home that last regular season game.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2020
                  • Send PM

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                    Chargers Hall of Fame
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

Did you miss them trading for one of the best running backs in football? Might have something to do with their continued success.
                    I actually missed the Chargers trading for anyone to help us while we had all of those injured players.

At any rate, the 49ers playing their QB3 and succeeding is pretty darn amazing.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                      Chargers Hall of Fame
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

and I'd like Lombo replaced...next year. I don't know what the endless bitching about him this year is doing for anyone
                      Perhaps we're bitching this year because we're fearful it won't happen.

All I know is, I prefer bitching about Lombo than bitching about the bitchers. THAT seems a strange use of these boards.

Comment

• LinksterAC
                        San Diego Chargers Fan
                        • Sep 2022
                        • San Diego County
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The 94 Super Bowl team staggered down the stretch of the regular season.
                        They barely beat Pittsburgh's backups at home that last regular season game.
                        Can't disagree. But they did have a bye and a home game to start the playoffs. And, yes hindsight is 20-20, but they showed up in the playoffs.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

Perhaps we're bitching this year because we're fearful it won't happen.

All I know is, I prefer bitching about Lombo than bitching about the bitchers. THAT seems a strange use of these boards.
                          Hell yes!

Comment

Working...
                          X