• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by TTThunder View Post

1. I am not a football expert, but I didn't recall anyone complain about our passing offense in 2020, despite it being Herbert's first year...

2. M.Williams seems to be the only one that improved significantly in the 2021-2022 offense...

Go Bolts!!!
    This was Lynn's last year...most of the complaining was about Lynn's horrible game planning and game day decisions...Stitch dialed up some really pretty long balls to T-Billy and Guyton, which opened up the short game...unfortunately, this was frequently undermined by Lynn's bonehead blunders...

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
      Outback Goon
      • Sep 2018
      • Australia
      • Send PM

Originally posted by KrazyLegs View Post
      This biggest issue is that Lombardi continually gets outmaneuvered by his rival DC.

Football is the most complex sport in the world. The NFL is all about matchups and finding ways to exploit the opposition. It's a 60-minute chess match. As an OC, you have to be able to make in-game changes. You adapt or you die.

And where does the rubber meet the road when it comes to making in-game changes? Halftime. And where does the Chargers offense go to die? Halftime.

Just look at the 2nd-half futility of the Chargers' offense — particularly in the 3rd quarter. That's one team completely outscheming the other team coming out of halftime. The opposing DC is able to shut down Lombardi's offense time and time again.

You can't blame that on injuries (which we've had). You can't blame that on front office incompetence (which we always have). You can't blame that on roster construction (which has been questionable in areas).

It's simply a case of getting owned in the coach's box.
      good point. halftime adjustments are subpar, but then again 4th qurater adjustments are top notch

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Fair response and I agree injuries more than anything are the cause. But the last few games they are missing only Slater, as important as he is. You have to go back to Herberts rookie season to find 2 games ina row he hasnt thrown a TD pass.

I do want to see Thor unleashed!! Justin Herbert has the smarts and every physical tool you could want ina QB. There is no reason he cant be running an offence that scares the shit out of opposing defences and is next to unstoppable. Defences dont have to worry about the deep ball with this team, they defend the short pass. Chris Simms calls it glue all over the place and has shown plays where your have all 4 Charger receivers running short curl routes with defenders all over them.

I do agree with NFL analysts that this offence is too slow. Certain plays when Herbert does have time in the pocket these WRs have trouble getting seperation, even Keenan. Herbert has to thread the ball into too many tight windows. He doesnt have a good running game and with protection issues is asked to do more than just about any QB in the league. There is too much on Herberts shoulders, he almost has to play perfect every week.

How about getting him a WR like Burrow has that can take an 8 yard pass 60 yards. this offence has no YAC. Maybe dump off to Ekler but thats it.

In perfect conditions Lombardi is an ok OC, but you wont convince me there is not a better OC out there that can tap into Hebert's unlimited potential. I mean this QB could really dominate the league and close the gap with Mahomes.

For all the years he was in NO, Joe was never elevated to OC there, he was the QB coach. The only other time he was an OC he bombed in Detroit. I am on board with Staley but he can find a better OC. He even tried to, he wanted O'Connell but wasnt granted permission.

Going to be very interesting in the playoffs when this offence has to play with the big boys and beat serious football teams with potent high scoring offences. Lets hope they can up their game, they will have to in the red zone.
        The Detroit thing is a bit wierd to me. He certainly can be criticize for it. And I can understand that. But Detroit defense went from 3rd rank 282pts to average or worse the rest of Caldwell time there. They were never better record wise than the 11-5 year with Lombo at OC and Austin at DC.
        Offense was 22nd Lombo full year 1 as OC. 321pts.
        Jim Bob his replacement gave them a spark taking over in Lombo year 2. But then Jim Bob next season was 20th his full year 1 as OC. 346pts it wasn't until that next year that they really improved to 7th in scoring. So good move replacing Lombo. It did take a while though almost 2 year to make the the jump offensively. But the defense was giving up so many points that it didn't matter. They never had a better record or point difference than the 11-5 season.
        I guess someone has to be the scapegoat. But maybe it should have been Austin at some point too. Defense wins championships.

I just hate to have Justin and the rest of offense learning a 3rd offensive system in 4 years. is there a replacement that will run the same system that was 5th in scoring last year but have a better feel for play call and adjustments? If so who would that be?
        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
          S. Barkley
          O. Becham
          J. Smith-Schuster
          J. Jacobs

Make your choice if you have enough $
          None - Chargers don't have a lot of money and probably need younger faster WRs.

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
            The argument that we can only properly evaluate any coordinator if everyone is healthy is silly and tiresome.

Next year, Linsley goes down, they are stuck with Clapp at center,
            and Lombo high fives himself because he is free to screw up and stick around for another year

The issue is not the rabble getting after Lombo because the Charger offense is not putting up 4 + tds each game;
            the rabble is mutinous because this offense can't score points period in the 2nd half.

Salyer is a decent enough backup LT;
            Herberts ribs seem well enough healed based on the Miami game alone;
            very few NFL starters are 100 % at this point: most are playing through pain and injury.
            They were 5th last year and very healthy overall.
            They are 13th this year and sustain quite a few significant injury setbacks.
            The biggest drop is the RedZone.
            5th to 26th.
            How do they get better in RedZone?
            Replacing OC.
            Okay. Let's say Lombo is fired today and replaced.
            What does the new OC need to do better in RedZone and how do they do that?

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

The Detroit thing is a bit wierd to me. He certainly can be criticize for it. And I can understand that. But Detroit defense went from 3rd rank 282pts to average or worse the rest of Caldwell time there. They were never better record wise than the 11-5 year with Lombo at OC and Austin at DC.
              Offense was 22nd Lombo full year 1 as OC. 321pts.
              Jim Bob his replacement gave them a spark taking over in Lombo year 2. But then Jim Bob next season was 20th his full year 1 as OC. 346pts it wasn't until that next year that they really improved to 7th in scoring. So good move replacing Lombo. It did take a while though almost 2 year to make the the jump offensively. But the defense was giving up so many points that it didn't matter. They never had a better record or point difference than the 11-5 season.
              I guess someone has to be the scapegoat. But maybe it should have been Austin at some point too. Defense wins championships.

I just hate to have Justin and the rest of offense learning a 3rd offensive system in 4 years. is there a replacement that will run the same system that was 5th in scoring last year but have a better feel for play call and adjustments? If so who would that be?
              Just a few more offensive systems and JH will know them all.
              jk
              But seriously, dude has been exposed to so much in a short time, making what he's been able to accomplish even more impressive.
              Vs a Mahomes that has had consistency and elite coaching since day one and also sitting behind a great vet like Alex Smith.

To your point, I also would like to know who of anyone would be the ideal AND realistic candidate to help supoort JH and the offense in the continued growth in the same system.
              Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by KrazyLegs View Post
                This biggest issue is that Lombardi continually gets outmaneuvered by his rival DC.

Football is the most complex sport in the world. The NFL is all about matchups and finding ways to exploit the opposition. It's a 60-minute chess match. As an OC, you have to be able to make in-game changes. You adapt or you die.

And where does the rubber meet the road when it comes to making in-game changes? Halftime. And where does the Chargers offense go to die? Halftime.

Just look at the 2nd-half futility of the Chargers' offense — particularly in the 3rd quarter. That's one team completely outscheming the other team coming out of halftime. The opposing DC is able to shut down Lombardi's offense time and time again.

You can't blame that on injuries (which we've had). You can't blame that on front office incompetence (which we always have). You can't blame that on roster construction (which has been questionable in areas).

It's simply a case of getting owned in the coach's box.
                The issue is really RedZone
                They were 5th last year. Now they are 26th.
                Hypothetically Lombo is fired today and replaced.
                What does the new OC do to get better in RedZone.
                How does he exploit the matchups?
                What is the script, play calls and game plan to score those TDs?

I keep hearing these comments but nobody has an Xs and O's or detail strategy of what to do instead.
                It's very low level of out coached or he sucks or getting owned.
                That not a plan or strategy or answer. It is tomato throwing.

How would you do it?
                What would you do to outcoach them in 3rd quarter?

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

They were ranked 5th in RedZone last year.
                  Did the OC forget what worked last year?
                  Did the league figure him out?
                  Would a healthy pro bowl left tackle help in RedZone?
                  Did missing Allen and Williams impact redzone production?
                  Can they get back to last year top 5 offense and most points scored since the 2006 Chargers team?
                  Did Lombo just have a lucky 1st season as OC when they put up all those numbers?
                  All good questions but this isnt last year. Pro Sports is a what have you done for me lately business.

Adjustments are made by good teams each year and within seasons, good coaches and co-ordinaters all over the league both offensive and defenisive. Making adjustments clearly does not seem to be Lombardi's strength. He is pretty inept at half time adjustments within a football game. Look at his offense in 3rd quarters. It hasnt scored a TD since week 5....week 5...that is pathetic

Is Joe Lombardi advancing and enhancing Justin Herbert's skill set? Or has Justin Herbert and his talent helped Lombardi more? I know my answer

I am sure there is alot of OCs that would love to work with Herbert. Herbert does not need Joe Lombardi to be a great QB and win games. In fact I think there is another level to Herberts game that could be umlocked with a top level OC.

And we dont need to keep on harping on injuries. There has been a full complement of offensive weapons the past few games now. Most teams in week 17 are missing a good offensive lineman or two.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

People vent on a forum when there’s something to vent about. Human nature.
                    Yeah, true. And they have every right. Others complain about that venting when they don’t agree. Case in point, sorry I’m always that guy - but its a forum after all
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

They were 5th last year and very healthy overall.
                      They are 13th this year and sustain quite a few significant injury setbacks.
                      The biggest drop is the RedZone.
                      5th to 26th.
                      How do they get better in RedZone?
                      Replacing OC.
                      Okay. Let's say Lombo is fired today and replaced.
                      What does the new OC need to do better in RedZone and how do they do that?
                      Red zone...stop the constant short passes short of the goal line and let the QB with the pin point laser throw end zone routes. Use Mike Williams and Donald Parnham alot more.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

See, this is where I'm at too. I get frustrated when the offense seems to stutter and I wonder if it is Lombardi, if he is a liability. But then I think about exactly what you say here.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Great post, better than i could articulate. I also saw Herbie looking for deeper shots many times in the game, not finding them as fast as he wanted, and checking it down. I couldn’t see what Aikman could see of all-22 to say if the deep shots were opening and he checks too soon or not, I could only tell by his action it was open when he wanted it there.

Lombo is not the greatest OC in history. I am with you that criticism is overly singular and over stated.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X