• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BayAreaBoltz
    Chargers Hall of Fame
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Every snap you can question. I've question these coaches too. I'm just not nearly as harsh at times. I'm looking at roster and opponent and how a player plays that day. Lombo was put on notice by Staley already. Now that they are relatively healthy more production for the offense is what Brandon is expecting.
    Ive already said a few time they can go get another Xs and O's guy. I'm just looking at 5th in RedZone last year with the same OC. I'm a optimistic type of fan and I'm trying to give the guy some mojo for this run. I want them to get Slater back for the post season run. I want to see that 5th rated redzone offense show up. If it doesn't, I say there's a 50/50 chance he gets replaced since Staley publicly stated his expectations this past week.
    But no one cares how "harsh" you are in your critiques of the players or coaches. Be more. Be less. Whatever.

What's odd is the constant critiquing of your perceived harshness level of other posters. Is it because of "mojo" (as you mentioned)? You're afraid of messing up some mojo? Is it because you believe you are the one who has the perfect balance of harshness and want to keep others in line like a hall monitor? It's just so odd.

I want Slater back as well. I want wins as well. I want us to improve where we are weak (as does Staley). But I've not been a fan of Lombo from the beginning (3rd choice for OC, former Staley-coach, the Detroit debacle, never an OC). Last year was okay in terms of some stats (5th-rated) but the second Raider game last year is a great microcosm of all of last year. Lombo had far too many three-and-outs that game. The first drive was classic Lombo (1st and 10: J.Herbert pass short right to M.Williams to LAC 26 for 3 yards, 2nd and 7: J.Herbert pass incomplete short right to A.Ekeler, 3rd and 7: J.Herbert pass short middle to K.Allen to LAC 31 for 5 yards) It's ad nauseam with him. It took these miraculous and improbable Herbert 4th down conversions to give us a chance.

I do not believe Lombo has what it takes to scheme an offense to take advantage of our super-human QB. Especially when anyone is injured. Too harsh?

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

But no one cares how "harsh" you are in your critiques of the players or coaches. Be more. Be less. Whatever.

What's odd is the constant critiquing of your perceived harshness level of other posters. Is it because of "mojo" (as you mentioned)? You're afraid of messing up some mojo? Is it because you believe you are the one who has the perfect balance of harshness and want to keep others in line like a hall monitor? It's just so odd.

I want Slater back as well. I want wins as well. I want us to improve where we are weak (as does Staley). But I've not been a fan of Lombo from the beginning (3rd choice for OC, former Staley-coach, the Detroit debacle, never an OC). Last year was okay in terms of some stats (5th-rated) but the second Raider game last year is a great microcosm of all of last year. Lombo had far too many three-and-outs that game. The first drive was classic Lombo (1st and 10: J.Herbert pass short right to M.Williams to LAC 26 for 3 yards, 2nd and 7: J.Herbert pass incomplete short right to A.Ekeler, 3rd and 7: J.Herbert pass short middle to K.Allen to LAC 31 for 5 yards) It's ad nauseam with him. It took these miraculous and improbable Herbert 4th down conversions to give us a chance.

I do not believe Lombo has what it takes to scheme an offense to take advantage of our super-human QB. Especially when anyone is injured. Too harsh?
      Are you saying an optimistic mindset is odd to you?
      I'm confident in my most of my opinions. Some not as much but I still have my view of things. But they are just opinions.
      I try to look at not just a short term, but long term. Is Lombo offense underachievers this year at 13th points scored and 26th RedZone. Yes. Has it been more injured than last season top 5 offense. Yes it has quit a bit so. I wasn't expecting Williams and Allen return and all of a sudden things take off. Herbert has been under more pressure this year. Slater was a huge part of why they were 5th last year, IMO.

If Slater returns and the offense improves quite a bit because of it. I won't give any credit to Lombo for it. He didn't do anything. I will give all the credit to Slater for his performance allowing Justin and the offense to make more plays. But I will also view this Lombo offense as a top 5 scoring unit like they were last season. And why would I want to change that.

Just another point of view my friend. Probably because I'm more of a half full or just half guy. I can't go half empty. It's a sad place for my mojo.

You may be correct Lombo isn't as creative as another OC can be.....whom would that be?
      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

If they can start to run it in at will in RedZone then you get the easy wide open play action plays opening up.

TE Michael Mayer would be a great addition. Especially for RedZone production. If he runs a slow 40, he may be there when Chargers draft.
        Almost all of the top-10 redzone teams run the ball very well... They have very good run-blocking OL's or tough running RB's.
        Only Minnesota (TJ Hockenson) and Bengals have a 1st round TE. Both were traded away from their original teams before their 1st contracts had expired.

I'm not a fan of spending 1st round draft capital on a TE.

Comment

• AK47
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Almost all of the top-10 redzone teams run the ball very well... They have very good run-blocking OL's or tough running RB's.
          Only Minnesota (TJ Hockenson) and Bengals have a 1st round TE. Both were traded away from their original teams before their 1st contracts had expired.

I'm not a fan of spending 1st round draft capital on a TE.
          There was a highly touted TE prospect. Folks said he's a once in a generation talent. Haven't heard his name in a long time. Was it Kyle Pitts?

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

There was a highly touted TE prospect. Folks said he's a once in a generation talent. Haven't heard his name in a long time. Was it Kyle Pitts?
            There have been a number of 1st round TE's over the last 8-9 years that haven't had the impact that people thought they's have.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Yeah, true. And they have every right. Others complain about that venting when they don’t agree. Case in point, sorry I’m always that guy - but its a forum after all
              Lol, it’s all good.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

There have been a number of 1st round TE's over the last 8-9 years that haven't had the impact that people thought they's have.
                Its a position were you are just as likely to stumble on a good one in rounds 2 - 5.

I'm not crazy about Bijan Robinson either..... he's clearly better, but not head and shoulders better than Josh Kelly.
                He does one thing elite....that cut bouncing it outside to his left.

I thought Alabama bottled him up too easily.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                  Chargers Hall of Fame
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Send PM

Are you saying an optimistic mindset is odd to you?
                  I'm confident in my most of my opinions. Some not as much but I still have my view of things. But they are just opinions.
                  I try to look at not just a short term, but long term. Is Lombo offense underachievers this year at 13th points scored and 26th RedZone. Yes. Has it been more injured than last season top 5 offense. Yes it has quit a bit so. I wasn't expecting Williams and Allen return and all of a sudden things take off. Herbert has been under more pressure this year. Slater was a huge part of why they were 5th last year, IMO.

If Slater returns and the offense improves quite a bit because of it. I won't give any credit to Lombo for it. He didn't do anything. I will give all the credit to Slater for his performance allowing Justin and the offense to make more plays. But I will also view this Lombo offense as a top 5 scoring unit like they were last season. And why would I want to change that.

Just another point of view my friend. Probably because I'm more of a half full or just half guy. I can't go half empty. It's a sad place for my mojo.

You may be correct Lombo isn't as creative as another OC can be.....whom would that be?
                  No. Be optimistic. About the team. About the coaches. About the play calls. About the main topic of this forum. Please. It's awesome (and I mean that).

If you stick to that, I'm all in. Half full or half empty, whatever. Who cares. You think it's the injuries. Okay. I think it's Lombo. You point to last year (as do I, ironically) to make your case. Great. I point to this year and to Detroit (the "big picture/long-term" stuff you say you like to focus on) and to the myriad of videos online from former coaches and QBs who call out our OC. Sorry if my perspective makes you "sad for your mojo". But, hey, it's a forum where we can post opinions. About the team. Not about your mojo-comfort.

At the end of the day, we will both rejoice if we hold the Lombardi trophy this year. I just think it'll be in spite of Lombardi.

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

I wonder why Staley targeted Darius Swinton this past offseason. Why'd he make that "one coach" the scapegoat? Such low hanging fruit. Hell, why'd we dump Lynn? Why make that coach the scapegoat?

At what point are we "allowed" to question a coach? What are the Critty TPB rules for engagement?
                    They added a pro bowl punter and pro bowl long snapper as well drafted some guys to play gunner. So....they did more than just replace the st coach. So it become hard for me to access credit and blame. And since I think players matter more than coaches. I don't know if Swinton got a fair shake. But Staley prerogative to make staffing changes.
                    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

I've been pretty happy with TT's 1st round selections the last 3 years. QB, LT, OG.

Normally, I wouldn't pick an OG in the 1st round. But our transactions in the offseason (SJD, Mack, and JCJ) signaled we weren't going pass rusher or pass defender in the 1st. An NFL ready guard was a predictable pick... especially since RG was our obvious need.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Now, with the JCJ injury and probable departure of Bryce Callahan... I'm looking @CB in the 1st round.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Now, with the JCJ injury and probable departure of Bryce Callahan... I'm looking @CB in the 1st round.
                          JaSir Taylor will take over for Callahan if he goes

Comment

Working...
                          X