• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AK47
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I wouldn't exactly say Lombo LIVES for the 3rd and short...it's more like Lombo reminds me of the cranky old man who is set in his ways, whether it's about how to fix a broken toilet or how to cook a turkey...no matter how many times you try pointing out a better, more efficient way to do it, he gets all ticked off and cusses at you and tells you to go away because, "I've always done it this way"...that's Lombo...
    How do I modify this Lamborghini of a quarterback to take trips to Costco and Bingo night.

https%3A%2F%2Fgmenhq.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fimagn-images%2F2018%2F08%2F17345792.jpg

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2022
      • White Rock, BC Canada
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
      Don't worry. Even if they replace Lombo. As soon as Herbert starts taking too much short stuff they will hate the new OC too. Don't worry TPB you will always find a scapegoat to pile gripe about.
      :sigh:
      You give some rational reasons why Herbert's ave pass yardage is near the bottom of the league this year at 6.7. I think there is some validity to your points

But what about Lombardi's unimaginative, predicatable play calling? Example. The Chargers lead the league in 3rd down attempts by a country mile. Here is the script we have all seen more times than we care to....start with 2 yard run, a 5 yard curl or stick route...and then we are 3rd and 3...rinse and repeat...rinse and repeat

Red zone offence is 26th...not good enough with Herbert as your QB...barely use huge targets that can win catches like Williams and Parnham...way too many predicatble dump offs or curl routes short of the end zone....and you have a QB who can thread a pass into the end zone better than 95% of QBs in the game

These are a couple of the reasons people are fed up with Joe Lombardi and why there is a league wide perception that Joe Lombardi is holding Justin Herbert back

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2022
        • White Rock, BC Canada
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I wouldn't exactly say Lombo LIVES for the 3rd and short...it's more like Lombo reminds me of the cranky old man who is set in his ways, whether it's about how to fix a broken toilet or how to cook a turkey...no matter how many times you try pointing out a better, more efficient way to do it, he gets all ticked off and cusses at you and tells you to go away because, "I've always done it this way"...that's Lombo...
        Someone needs to get it through Joe's head that he is not coaching a 40 year old Drew Brees

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

You give some rational reasons why Herbert's ave pass yardage is near the bottom of the league this year at 6.7. I think there is some validity to your points

But what about Lombardi's unimaginative, predicatable play calling? Example. The Chargers lead the league in 3rd down attempts by a country mile. Here is the script we have all seen more times than we care to....start with 2 yard run, a 5 yard curl or stick route...and then we are 3rd and 3...rinse and repeat...rinse and repeat

Red zone offence is 26th...not good enough with Herbert as your QB...barely use huge targets that can win catches like Williams and Parnham...way too many predicatble dump offs or curl routes short of the end zone....and you have a QB who can thread a pass into the end zone better than 95% of QBs in the game

These are a couple of the reasons people are fed up with Joe Lombardi and why there is a league wide perception that Joe Lombardi is holding Justin Herbert back
          Well I'm looking at bigger picture.
          Chargers points scored last year was 474 points. 5th ranked offense. You have to go all the way back to Rivers early days to find an offense ranked higher and all they back to Philip 1st year as a starter to find a Chargers team that put up more points with 492. And that team was loaded with talent.

This year has been a struggle without the pro bowl left tackle Slater and with Williams and Allen out of the lineup. Last year those 3 all played in 16 games. Which help quite a bit IMO.
          This year those 3 have games played in 11 Williams, 8 Allen, 3 Slater. And Herbert is playing with hurt ribs that still aren't fully healed.
          I think that why points are down more than game plan and play calls. Ekeler is still a TD machine in this offense.
          13th in points scored in spite of missing players and Herbert ribs still not healthy so Justin isn't trying to hold the ball and throw deep. Aikman mention him not being patient and go to the underneath when he had open down field in that Colts game. So it's no just the OC who is preventing big plays.

I don't think there is any league wide perception that Joe is holding him back. I think there are some critics about the Chargers in general. From Staley when they were 4-3 and his defense was getting gashed routinely. To the so called Chargering. To why is Hebert numbers down so lets blame the OC, but even those that do blame Joe still admit the injuries are a factor, then they say but when you have Justin you should find a way to let him throw the ball farther down field more often, find a way to be creative. Do what exactly? I have yet to see their play calls and game plan. Show me the play script. What is it a bunch of deep outs and deep daggers and 4 verticals. If Herbert is getting sacked and pressure a bunch when OC is calling plays to get the ball out quick. I'd imagine the OC may be thinking I can't call a game like that or I'm going get Justin injured. We won't be able to stay ahead of the chains if we do that. We will be in 3rd and long too often. We need to run, get the ball out quick to our playmakers, get to managable down and distances. Drive the ball for points

The media and some fans are furious.
          Chargers have Thor at QB!!?
          Fire Lombo and Unleash the Lightning!!!!!

That's not a plan. That's a pipedream.
          What is the game plan. Does it change depending on the team or is it just let Thor destroy the league by passing it down field early and often.

My plan is let's see what this offense looks like when Herbert ribs heal and Slater is back at left tackle. Do they become a top 5 offense again. I think so, but maybe I'm too optimistic about things.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

They were ranked 5th in RedZone last year.
            Did the OC forget what worked last year?
            Did the league figure him out?
            Would a healthy pro bowl left tackle help in RedZone?
            Did missing Allen and Williams impact redzone production?
            Can they get back to last year top 5 offense and most points scored since the 2006 Chargers team?
            Did Lombo just have a lucky 1st season as OC when they put up all those numbers?
            Who has it better than us?

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

Chargers points scored last year was 474 points. 5th ranked offense. You have to go all the way back to Rivers early days to find an offense ranked higher and all they back to Philip 1st year as a starter to find a Chargers team that put up more points with 492. And that team was loaded with talent.

This year has been a struggle without the pro bowl left tackle Slater and with Williams and Allen out of the lineup. Last year those 3 all played in 16 games. Which help quite a bit IMO.
              This year those 3 have games played in 11 Williams, 8 Allen, 3 Slater. And Herbert is playing with hurt ribs that still aren't fully healed.
              I think that why points are down more than game plan and play calls. Ekeler is still a TD machine in this offense.
              13th in points scored in spite of missing players and Herbert ribs still not healthy so Justin isn't trying to hold the ball and throw deep. Aikman mention him not being patient and go to the underneath when he had open down field in that Colts game. So it's no just the OC who is preventing big plays.

I don't think there is any league wide perception that Joe is holding him back. I think there are some critics about the Chargers in general. From Staley when they were 4-3 and his defense was getting gashed routinely. To the so called Chargering. To why is Hebert numbers down so lets blame the OC, but even those that do blame Joe still admit the injuries are a factor, then they say but when you have Justin you should find a way to let him throw the ball farther down field more often, find a way to be creative. Do what exactly? I have yet to see their play calls and game plan. Show me the play script. What is it a bunch of deep outs and deep daggers and 4 verticals. If Herbert is getting sacked and pressure a bunch when OC is calling plays to get the ball out quick. I'd imagine the OC may be thinking I can't call a game like that or I'm going get Justin injured. We won't be able to stay ahead of the chains if we do that. We will be in 3rd and long too often. We need to run, get the ball out quick to our playmakers, get to managable down and distances. Drive the ball for points

What is the game plan. Does it change depending on the team or is it just let Thor destroy the league by passing it down field early and often.

My plan is let's see what this offense looks like when Herbert ribs heal and Slater is back at left tackle. Do they become a top 5 offense again. I think so, but maybe I'm too optimistic about things.

Fair response and I agree injuries more than anything are the cause. But the last few games they are missing only Slater, as important as he is. You have to go back to Herberts rookie season to find 2 games ina row he hasnt thrown a TD pass.

I do want to see Thor unleashed!! Justin Herbert has the smarts and every physical tool you could want ina QB. There is no reason he cant be running an offence that scares the shit out of opposing defences and is next to unstoppable. Defences dont have to worry about the deep ball with this team, they defend the short pass. Chris Simms calls it glue all over the place and has shown plays where your have all 4 Charger receivers running short curl routes with defenders all over them.

I do agree with NFL analysts that this offence is too slow. Certain plays when Herbert does have time in the pocket these WRs have trouble getting seperation, even Keenan. Herbert has to thread the ball into too many tight windows. He doesnt have a good running game and with protection issues is asked to do more than just about any QB in the league. There is too much on Herberts shoulders, he almost has to play perfect every week.

How about getting him a WR like Burrow has that can take an 8 yard pass 60 yards. this offence has no YAC. Maybe dump off to Ekler but thats it.

In perfect conditions Lombardi is an ok OC, but you wont convince me there is not a better OC out there that can tap into Hebert's unlimited potential. I mean this QB could really dominate the league and close the gap with Mahomes.

For all the years he was in NO, Joe was never elevated to OC there, he was the QB coach. The only other time he was an OC he bombed in Detroit. I am on board with Staley but he can find a better OC. He even tried to, he wanted O'Connell but wasnt granted permission.

Going to be very interesting in the playoffs when this offence has to play with the big boys and beat serious football teams with potent high scoring offences. Lets hope they can up their game, they will have to in the red zone.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Good post and well said. Most complaining about Lombardi doesn't factor in any of that but the same guys were complaining about him last year when we were 5th in scoring.

I'd bet the farm the offense wouldn't be better if they were calling the plays.

Herberts rib injury is a big factor, especially early in what Lombo could do but amazingly many disregard his injury as a factor.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

You make good points but I don't want to wait until next year because its too late and are stuck
                  I have seen enough of Lombardi to know the Chargers should look to be better

Part of the problem is Telesco though - he is allergic to speed. The guy needs to find a capable fast WR to add to the group.

Also need to upgrade the running game as that helps a QB - so might need a new OL coach

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

The argument that we can only properly evaluate any coordinator if everyone is healthy is silly and tiresome.

Next year, Linsley goes down, they are stuck with Clapp at center,
                    and Lombo high fives himself because he is free to screw up and stick around for another year

The issue is not the rabble getting after Lombo because the Charger offense is not putting up 4 + tds each game;
                    the rabble is mutinous because this offense can't score points period in the 2nd half.

Salyer is a decent enough backup LT;
                    Herberts ribs seem well enough healed based on the Miami game alone;
                    very few NFL starters are 100 % at this point: most are playing through pain and injury.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                      French Speaking Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Québec city
                      • Send PM

S. Barkley
                      O. Becham
                      J. Smith-Schuster
                      J. Jacobs

Make your choice if you have enough $

Comment

• TTThunder
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

Don't worry. Even if they replace Lombo. As soon as Herbert starts taking too much short stuff they will hate the new OC too. Don't worry TPB you will always find a scapegoat to pile gripe about.
                        :sigh:
                        1. I am not a football expert, but I didn't recall anyone complain about our passing offense in 2020, despite it being Herbert's first year...

2. M.Williams seems to be the only one that improved significantly in the 2021-2022 offense...

Go Bolts!!!

Comment

• KrazyLegs
                          Registered Dude
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Westminster, MA
                          • Send PM

This biggest issue is that Lombardi continually gets outmaneuvered by his rival DC.

Football is the most complex sport in the world. The NFL is all about matchups and finding ways to exploit the opposition. It's a 60-minute chess match. As an OC, you have to be able to make in-game changes. You adapt or you die.

And where does the rubber meet the road when it comes to making in-game changes? Halftime. And where does the Chargers offense go to die? Halftime.

Just look at the 2nd-half futility of the Chargers' offense — particularly in the 3rd quarter. That's one team completely outscheming the other team coming out of halftime. The opposing DC is able to shut down Lombardi's offense time and time again.

You can't blame that on injuries (which we've had). You can't blame that on front office incompetence (which we always have). You can't blame that on roster construction (which has been questionable in areas).

It's simply a case of getting owned in the coach's box.

Comment

Working...
                          X