• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

They added a pro bowl punter and pro bowl long snapper as well drafted some guys to play gunner. So....they did more than just replace the st coach. So it become hard for me to access credit and blame. And since I think players matter more than coaches. I don't know if Swinton got a fair shake. But Staley prerogative to make staffing changes.
    I think that long snapper has been a big help for the field goal kickers.
    All of them have done well.

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

No. Be optimistic. About the team. About the coaches. About the play calls. About the main topic of this forum. Please. It's awesome (and I mean that).

If you stick to that, I'm all in. Half full or half empty, whatever. Who cares. You think it's the injuries. Okay. I think it's Lombo. You point to last year (as do I, ironically) to make your case. Great. I point to this year and to Detroit (the "big picture/long-term" stuff you say you like to focus on) and to the myriad of videos online from former coaches and QBs who call out our OC. Sorry if my perspective makes you "sad for your mojo". But, hey, it's a forum where we can post opinions. About the team. Not about your mojo-comfort.

At the end of the day, we will both rejoice if we hold the Lombardi trophy this year. I just think it'll be in spite of Lombardi.
      I like the conversations. It would be so boring if there weren't other opinions and viewpoints to consider and learn from. You aren't messing up my mojo if you say he is getting outcoached or is uncreative. I just can't go there with you or anyone else.

I was driving the Staley bandwagon while everyone was saying good grief we stink. Fire Staley. Well he has bounced back and some have joined the bandwagon. I'm not sold on Lombo. But I'm not on the fire him bandwagon. And his Detroit days were the Lions, so it's hard to decide how to access him there since Lions are rarely good with any combination of coaches.

And I would think he knows an awful lot about QB working with Brees and Payton. I would imagine he has a lot of knowledge. It would seem odd to me if he forgets and ignores all the concepts of attacking defenses he learn there and just making up his own stuff. And again they were 5th just last year. And are still 13th points scored even with all the injury.

The redzone 26th is really the reason to fire him.
      I can't argue against that stat, except the injury excuse.
      But my mojo is sensing the improved running it in at goaline is going to open up more PA TDs. And then getting healthier will show up on the scoreboard soon.
      If not then you could get your wish of bye bye to Joe this off season.

But who is your replacement for him.
      You got a name?
      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

JaSir Taylor will take over for Callahan if he goes
        Boltnut is projecting Michael Davis's departure.

Replacing Callahan, Davis, Tranquil, Van Noy & Adderley, along with the inevitable player or two going down with injuries will be too much for the D.
        That would be a hell of a draft to plug those holes, and in addition the offensive departures.

Happy thought for the day: Losing to KC in Arrowhead 9 - 7, and then watching that exodus in the offseason.
        :anchorjump:

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

JaSir Taylor will take over for Callahan if he goes
          Ja'Sir is promising but has a very small sample size. Slot corner is a very important role in the Staley defense... that's why he went out and got Callahan this off-season. And while Chris Harris Jr didn't pan out, Staley requested him 2 off-seasons ago. With 4 proven CB's (JCJ, ASJ, Davis, and Callahan) Chargers still drafted 2 CB's last draft. I think Staley said, "You can never have enough pass defenders"...

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Ja'Sir is promising but has a very small sample size. Slot corner is a very important role in the Staley defense... that's why he went out and got Callahan this off-season. And while Chris Harris Jr didn't pan out, Staley requested him 2 off-seasons ago. With 4 proven CB's (JCJ, ASJ, Davis, and Callahan) Chargers still drafted 2 CB's last draft. I think Staley said, "You can never have enough pass defenders"...
            What happened to our third round safety? Can't we use him for something and I don't mean waterboy!
            Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

I feel the same way about Lombardi as I feel about Staley. He's getting better and the players know his playbook. I know many, probably most, want him fired but it's for pretty stupid reasons - he doesn't throw it deep as much as I would like or he runs it too much on first down or the plunges into the line are too frequent, etc. Those are all just opinions, one guy wants more deep passes another wants more crossing patterns, etc. It doesn't mean the guy is a bad play caller, it means his opinion is different than yours.
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

What happened to our third round safety? Can't we use him for something and I don't mean waterboy!
                He's hopefully drinking milk shakes right now, reading this board, and in response angrily doing push ups until he's blue in the face.

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Replacing Callahan, Davis, Tranquil, Van Noy & Adderley, along with the inevitable player or two going down with injuries will be too much for the D.
                  That would be a hell of a draft to plug those holes, and in addition the offensive departures.

Happy thought for the day: Losing to KC in Arrowhead 9 - 7, and then watching that exodus in the offseason.
                  If they let Davis go it would be a nutty thing. They've invested a lot of time into coaching Davis up and letting him go now when he's playing so well would be a big mistake. He's signed up at a reasonable salary for a top CB.

I wish they could find a way to keep Callahan but it seems unlikely.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

If they let Davis go it would be a nutty thing. They've invested a lot of time into coaching Davis up and letting him go now when he's playing so well would be a big mistake. He's signed up at a reasonable salary for a top CB.

I wish they could find a way to keep Callahan but it seems unlikely.
                    At the time I suggested cutting Michael Davis, he hadn't yet strung together 6-7 solid weeks of coverage. Now, he seems indispensable.
                    He counts as $9.4 million against the cap next year. Without re-signing a single in-house FA for next year, we are nearly $10 million OVER the estimated cap for next year.
                    As of today, exactly 0.0 TPB posters have shown me how to keep MD on the roster... and under the cap.

Comment

• SBbound
                      Casual fanatic
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Merced/San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                      I feel the same way about Lombardi as I feel about Staley. He's getting better and the players know his playbook. I know many, probably most, want him fired but it's for pretty stupid reasons - he doesn't throw it deep as much as I would like or he runs it too much on first down or the plunges into the line are too frequent, etc. Those are all just opinions, one guy wants more deep passes another wants more crossing patterns, etc. It doesn't mean the guy is a bad play caller, it means his opinion is different than yours.
                      I'm starting to sour on Lombardi especially about our lack of adjustments in the second half of games. But at the halfway point this season I also thought Hill needed to go. So, what do I know? We won't know what Staley thinks until the season is over. One thing for sure entertaining Sean Payton would be a mistake.

This postseason will be a lot of fun and the offseason will be interesting as well. I love being a Chargers fan.
                      Last edited by SBbound; 12-30-2022, 06:02 PM.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Not in round 1. They took guys in later rounds who have panned out. With what they’ve invested in JCJ and with Vato it isn’t a PON

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

let me know when Boltnut is hired as GM

Comment

Working...
                          X