• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

While that attempt at humor might garner you a participation trophy, it has nothing to do with the fact that Spanos was never going to fire Staley after the season. Anyone that follows the team could have told you this. That doesn't mean he shouldn't have been fired - just that he wasn't going to get fired.
    I agree, Rich. Letting the head coach or the GM go was way, way, way, way beyond Dean's comfort level. However, he's simply prolonged the inevitable. Dean's going to have to clean house in 2024 after the Chargers finish last in the AFC West. Denver and Las Vegas will pass the Chargers in the standings.

I've read about the pressure Josh McDaniels is under, it's no B.S. He knows he's got to win now or he's gone.

https://www.si.com/nfl/raiders/the-b...els-mark-davis

Denver ownership and Las Vegas ownership want to win and that is their sole priority, whereas Dean's is the maturation of his investment in Los Angeles. IMHO, Tom Telesco and Brandon Staley are not under pressure to perform in 2024 as the other divisional opponents are.

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Hire Frank Smith and give him assistant head coach title as well as OC.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Agree - the D let them score 31 points on their last 5 drives of the game. Even one stop and we advance. If they are going to keep Staley, I'd like them to replace Hill and let another DC take over and call the D. Just not sure that happens.
        If for some reason the Broncos do not keep Evero as DC - the chargers should send the g-damn plane that minute
        (but yes, Staley would need to give up play calling duties)

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I agree, Rich. Letting the head coach or the GM go was way, way, way, way beyond Dean's comfort level. However, he's simply prolonged the inevitable. Dean's going to have to clean house in 2024 after the Chargers finish last in the AFC West. Denver and Las Vegas will pass the Chargers in the standings.

I've read about the pressure Josh McDaniels is under, it's no B.S. He knows he's got to win now or he's gone.

https://www.si.com/nfl/raiders/the-b...els-mark-davis

Denver ownership and Las Vegas ownership want to win and that is their sole priority, whereas Dean's is the maturation of his investment in Los Angeles. IMHO, Tom Telesco and Brandon Staley are not under pressure to perform in 2024 as the other divisional opponents are.
          I don't agree with the last part. I have said this before and still believe it: I think Spanos desperately wants to win. I just don't think he knows how. The sad thing is, I find this worse than just being in it to collect money from a cash cow NFL ownership. He is just clueless.

Comment

• Riverwalk
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2021
            • Send PM

I don't agree with the last part. I have said this before and still believe it: I think Spanos desperately wants to win. I just don't think he knows how. The sad thing is, I find this worse than just being in it to collect money from a cash cow NFL ownership. He is just clueless.
            I have no doubt Dean wants to win as much as any owner.

The rub is he wants to keep his two worthless sons in complete control of the team and all personnel decisions when they have demonstrated for over a decade they suck at it.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I believe with 100% of my being that we will be having this exact conversation one year from today after Staley is dismissed. Dismissing Lombardi + Day simply prolonged the inevitable. Nothing more.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

Speaking about Lombardi.

Are there any teams out there that need a good coach for half a game?

Comment

• Trumpet Man
                  Dea Spanos my HERO
                  • Dec 2022
                  • Send PM

Pat McAfee show live now reporting Frank Reich is interviewing with the Bolts

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Trumpet Man View Post
                    That SOB. He's planning on Staley to be fired next season so he can take over as HC.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Trumpet Man View Post
                      Pretty sure they will have to interview an African American for the job
                      So this won't be one and done with Reich getting the job

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Pretty sure they will have to interview an African American for the job
                        So this won't be one and done with Reich getting the job
                        Does the Rooney rule apply to assistant coaches as well? Regardless, I sure hope they look at more than one candidate.

Comment

• LinksterAC
                          San Diego Chargers Fan
                          • Sep 2022
                          • San Diego County
                          • Send PM

Long time Chargers fan here. I've seen too many off-seasons under Dean Spanos.

I actually agree with Jim Trotter's tweet. I don't think Dean is cheap as much as he is a creature of his own particular kind of inertia.

He is going to let the Staley experiment run its course because, frankly, as humiliating & catastrophic as the last game was, the total body of Staley's work is far from either of those things (19-15 record, one trip to the playoffs).

I'm not saying that I agree with Spanos. But I don't think cheapness is what's primarily motivating him. If this were closer to the end of Staley's contract, & bringing in Payton was just a matter of paying him rather than a matter of paying him AND the Saints, I think he'd go for it.

Comment

Working...
                          X