• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jubei
    Vagabond Ninja
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

The Chiefs are doing well despite some FA losses because they are well coached. This isn't a mystery.
    well-coached for sure...with non-intrusive owner? see what hiring proven winning coaches can do instead of 1st-time, no-clue coordinators, current one being a coordinator for ONE FREAKIN year on an already-studly D? I think that D made him, not the other way around.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

The Chiefs are doing well despite some FA losses because they are well coached. This isn't a mystery.
      It also doesn't hurt that they are the 3rd healthiest team in the league, behind only the Eagles and Vikings. The Chargers were the 29th healthiest team going into last week's game and are sure to fall further down the list. Those top 3 healthiest teams also have 3 of the best records in the league. A whole lot easier to get it done when you aren't constantly plugging backups into different spots - and this not to take anything away from Reid as he is a great coach.

Comment

• Boltx
        Dominate the day
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

It also doesn't hurt that they are the 3rd healthiest team in the league, behind only the Eagles and Vikings. The Chargers were the 29th healthiest team going into last week's game and are sure to fall further down the list. Those top 3 healthiest teams also have 3 of the best records in the league. A whole lot easier to get it done when you aren't constantly plugging backups into different spots - and this not to take anything away from Reid as he is a great coach.
        Indeed, health/luck have a huge part in it as well.
        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Riverwalk
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2021
          • Send PM

Good points, but majority of teams backups are legitimate 2nd stringers. Most of the Charger backups don’t even belong in the league.

Over the past decade, Telesco has had difficulty getting quality starters at each position and the backups totally suck.

Injuries are always going to happen. It’s the same thing year after year. Starters get injured and season is over.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2022
            • White Rock, BC Canada
            • Send PM

Both points are true.

Chiefs have much better coaching.

But Charger injury curse is ruthless. This year is the most disappointing of many. Injuries came early and came hard at impact players ona year that was supposed to be our year.

Might be a good point about our back ups never being good. In the COVID game Houstons back ups were better than ours and we always get stomped in pre season.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

My first post in this thread. 1) Name another team down their #1, #2, #3 WR on the season and 2) whether or not that black swan occurrence has effected their offense output.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                My first post in this thread. 1) Name another team down their #1, #2, #3 WR on the season and 2) whether or not that black swan occurrence has effected their offense output.
                They were not all out together until this game and all three will be back this season. Probably #1 and #3 will be back for the next game.

But it’s not enough. Telesco needs to get another talented, fast WR now via trade. Get over the past and think about how you win out from here.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Black Swans

WR Wendell Davis blew out both knees in 1993 against the Eagles on Astro-Turf. There was a gap in the seam at the 30 yard line. Davis was on a deep cross and his feet caught in the seams and he had a complete tear of both patella tendons. His kneecaps went up to his thighs.

WD.png

What's my point? I've never even heard of an NFL team losing it's #1, #2, #3 WRs at the same time. But that's where we are.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Staley is going to live and die with Lombardi (from Popper):

As far as the offense, there is a lot more to dig into under the hood later this week. But on the surface, the Chargers rank 16th in offensive DVOA in the season, according to Football Outsiders. They were a top-five offense by that metric last season.

I asked Staley how he would assess offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi’s performance through seven games this season.

“It’s been a much different season for him than last season,” Staley said. “We’re 4-3, and I think that record puts us in position to accomplish a lot in the second half of the season, and I think when you’ve had as many significant adjustments to make, that’s the sign of a good coach. And I think any time you lose an All-Pro left tackle, an All-Pro receiver, you’ve had three or four receivers out at a time, a tight end that’s a weapon, I mean, there’s been a lot of moving parts, and I think that he’s done a good job keeping us together. I think his experience is something that we lean on because he’s had to go through it as an NFL coach. I think he’s put us in a position to be 4-3, and he’s got to make improvements just like the rest of us do, but I know how hard he works, I know the level of preparation and the level of detail. And just glad that he’s our offensive coordinator.”

Comment

• Riverwalk
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                      Black Swans

WR Wendell Davis blew out both knees in 1993 against the Eagles on Astro-Turf. There was a gap in the seam at the 30 yard line. Davis was on a deep cross and his feet caught in the seams and he had a complete tear of both patella tendons. His kneecaps went up to his thighs.

WD.png

What's my point? I've never even heard of an NFL team losing it's #1, #2, #3 WRs at the same time. But that's where we are.
                      That’s what in season trades are for.

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Geez, Staley almost sounds like me, Rich.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                          Chargers Hall of Fame
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Send PM

That's what I was afraid of.

But totally predictable. Staley hired this guy who was an OC but one time and it ended in abject failure. And, yet, because of sentiment (being Brandon's former college coach), he did what NO other team would do - hire him to run the entire offense.

Said at the time I was disappointed. And, at the time, I knew if it wasn't working (ala Detroit and know us) that he wouldn't drop him. Too much sentimentality.

So we're stuck with him as long as we have Staley.

Which is a shame.

Comment

Working...
                          X