• Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

don't think that was the case for the '022,
    You mean the year Guyton and Williams were hurt?
    The year we lost our Pro Bowl LT and sent everyone short...?
    The year our franchise QB fractured rib cartilage and was apprehensive to let deep routes develop...?

Agreed!

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

The year our franchise QB fractured rib cartilage and was apprehensive to let deep routes develop...?

Agreed!
      Herbert being hurt and couldn't even run for a first down for some weeks because of his ribs. I suspect that's a reason for the much shorter passing game.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

I'm not giving up on Isaiah Spiller. He may bounce back and have a breakout 2nd season. Not saying it's going to happen but I think it's possible. Spiller was rated one of the top 1-3 RBs in the draft before the 2022 Combine. But his Combine performance was pretty bad and his draft stock nose-dived. His agent said he was injured - a strained abductor muscle - that inhibited is ability to train for the Combine. He was also just 21 when he was drafted and reports I read said he was just overwhelmed in his rookie season. Perhaps he had an injury that nobody was talking about too. This kid was really good at A&M. If the Chargers draft a good RB and Spiller does breakout as a sophomore, and Ekeler plays out his contract for the Bolts, what a turnaround that would be for the RB corps, which has been a weakness for the offense Herbert's entire career so far.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...ls-trade-back/

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

I agree with you Velo - I won't bet on him but I won't be surprised if he turns it around either. I hope he does.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Agreed!
            how much did Guyton see the field before he got hurt, and not to mention.... did we ever replace the TBilly longball threat on the roster ??

and why wasn't MW the same longball threat he was in '21, and.... it's not like he missed the whole or even the majority of the season.
            ​​​​
            5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

how much did Guyton see the field before he got hurt, and not to mention.... did we ever replace the TBilly longball threat on the roster ??

and why wasn't MW the same longball threat he was in '21, and.... it's not like he missed the whole or even the majority of the season.
              ​​​​
              Herbert got injured in week 2. It all starts there. The passing game as a whole wasn't the same as 2021. A big reason why Ekeler had 107 receptions.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Herbert got injured in week 2. It all starts there. The passing game as a whole wasn't the same as 2021. A big reason why Ekeler had 107 receptions.
                agreed, and.... how I recall things is that the longball thing never got legs and never seemed to be much of a priority, as don't think we ever really felt the need or really wanted to much replace the deep threat that was Tyron, and Guyton just didn't see the field much when he was healthy, as just didn't seem to be any overriding desire to go deep more so than much of an afterthought ??

and really think MW had some real trouble when Keenan went down and he was tasked w/the opposing CB1, and as he is much more a WR2, and really doesn't have the abilities to be a No. 1, as yes, and in reply to another post.... I do (still) think MW was overdrafted and then overpaid, as when someone is 7 overall, the expectation is for him to be a No. 1 and to ball/show out against the League's No. 1 CBs.

and jftr, eye do think MW has been a good Charger, as much like the drafting of Ingram, was def not in favor of that selection, but do think SupaMel had his moments as a Charger, and was a pretty good one, and for awhile.
                5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

agreed, and.... how I recall things is that the longball thing never got legs and never seemed to be much of a priority, as don't think we ever really felt the need or really wanted to much replace the deep threat that was Tyron, and Guyton just didn't see the field much when he was healthy, as just didn't seem to be any overriding desire to go deep more so than much of an afterthought ??

and really think MW had some real trouble when Keenan went down and he was tasked w/the opposing CB1, and as he is much more a WR2, and really doesn't have the abilities to be a No. 1, as yes, and in reply to another post.... I do (still) think MW was overdrafted and then overpaid, as when someone is 7 overall, the expectation is for him to be a No. 1 and to ball/show out against the League's No. 1 CBs.

and jftr, eye do think MW has been a good Charger, as much like the drafting of Ingram, was def not in favor of that selection, but do think SupaMel had his moments as a Charger, and was a pretty good one, and for awhile.
                  I liked the MW pick but think we could of traded down a bit to get him. He has been good for us and an i like the way he is being used now compared to before with the long jump balls. Needs to stay healthy though.

Didn't want us to draft Mel. Didn't like him much in the draft but he had his moments. Disappeared too often.

Recievers in this draft, again I know we want speed and love Flowers but as I've said before I also really like Tillman. Keenan lite with more speed and also reminds me of Pickens who is a bit faster.
                  He also is a good blocker which is something we won't get with Flowers and helps make up the subpar blocking of Kincaid.

Just saying I'd love the pick if we drafted him. I'm not talking round 1 here. I mean round 2 or 3.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

I'm not enamored with the top of the WR class... but I do like the depth of this class. I think somewhere around 3rd or 4th round, the WR's start becoming the BPA's... I think a good one falls and we make a value pick. Maybe Mims falls to the 3rd. Maybe Charlie Jones falls to the 4th. Something like that. I'm looking for WR's with decent speed to stretch the field and to field punts. Guys with enough potential to soften the blow of eventually losing Keenan.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

I think we'll go offense in the 1st and not a token gesture.
                      Bijan
                      Kincaid
                      Mayers
                      Hyatt

There are D I could easily see but I suspect the desire to get Herbert / Moore started strong and building a dominant top offense rapidly rules the day.

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                        I think we'll go offense in the 1st and not a token gesture.
                        Bijan
                        Kincaid
                        Mayers
                        Hyatt

There are D I could easily see but I suspect the desire to get Herbert / Moore started strong and building a dominant top offense rapidly rules the day.
                        When we first started discussing the draft, I said we should try to beef up the offense so we could outscore the Chiefs. I still think that's the best thing to do. We need to take advantage of having a strong armed QB by beefing up the offense unless taking a player for the offense is crazy because of who is available. I'd be happy to see them pick two deep threats. I just don't see us being able to put the skids on the Chiefs offense so let's outscore them like in the days of Coryell/Fouts.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

No real run game
                          WRs injured
                          QB couldn't sling the ball downfield

Like you said - thats why Ek got a lot of receptions.

If Ek has 107 catches for 700 yards in 2023 - that is not a good sign for the Chargers offense.

Comment

Working...
                          X