• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
    Wait, so you expected him to play on a bad hamstring? I wasn't expecting that answer.

You ever had a bad hamstring? Players miss seasons because of them.
    Our highest paid player missed 12 games. has missed 37% of them in his career.
    It's called soft tissue breaking down. Next!

Comment

• electricgold
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2020
      • Send PM

With a QB like Mahomes you don't necessarily need prima donna WR's that want big contracts! You want steady hungry younger WR's that can make plays etc. that don't eat a large chunk of you cap space so you can address other areas on your team. Could that be a secret to their success!

With a QB like Herbert you don't necessarily need prima donna WR's that want big contracts! You want steady hungry younger WR's that can make plays etc. that don't eat a large chunk of your cap space so you can address other areas on your team. Also if they happen to get injured and miss let's say 7 games you're not screwed because you have to pay a WR a mega contract and your WR depth suffers. Could this be a secret to winning more than 1 playoff game, as opposed to losing regular season games and a big factor is having bad depth at the WR position because you put all your eggs in 2 baskets, IE KA and MW, and have a lower seed in the playoffs because of regular season losses?

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

It's called soft tissue breaking down. Next!
        It's a pretty common injury actually, especially for WRs.
        I guess we better not draft WR Jaxon Smith- Njigba (21)who missed most the college season with his and trade Parham (25) who missed most the season with his.

Research needs to be done by some of you.

I'll help
        https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nf...sition-players

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

We did exactly that in the playoffs. Didn't work too well.
          Second half scoring was not good all year. The offense was much better in 2021 clearly because of injuries this year but I think replacing Lombo w/ Moore helps the most here.

Dallas hasn't won crap with the great OLs they had recently and ours doesn't suck. I'm not against a RT but not sure we need to use a first on one.

I'm for BPA in this draft.
          The Chargers did what in the playoffs? They could neither run the ball in the Jacksonville losses in the second half and I'm not going accept that a change of coordinators will make that difference. Chargers offensive line is wanting at the right tackle position and I am willing to bet Kellen Moore and I see the same thing (glaring weakness when the Chargers have a returning core group of Slater, Salyer, Linsley, and Zion. One more blue chip at RT and this team is ready to piss in the tall weeds with the big dogs.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

It's a pretty common injury actually.
            I guess we better not draft WR Jaxon Smith- Njigba (21)who missed most the college season with his and trade Parham (25) who missed most the season with his.

I'll help
            You damn sure better offer something other than Fox Sports as a citation, for chrissakes. Hard pass on this nonsense.

Comment

• nomad1946
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2017
              • West Yellowstone, Montana
              • Retired
              • Send PM

As far as I can tell, they have four choices for KA.

1. Do nothing and just ride with his current contract.
              2. Release him.
              3. Trade Him.
              4. Restructure and/or Extend his current contract.

I really do not like any of these choices, but I don't see what else they can do.

Comment

• electricgold
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2020
                • Send PM

Well lots of info missing from this.

Miami had a 3rd string QB playing for three games and the playoffs as Tua and Bridgewater both were hurt.

Tyreek wanted big bucks and got it from Miami.
                4 years 120 mil , 72 guaranteed. Keenan isnt close to taking this from us.

KC had no choice but to trade him. We have choices.
                KC also had a great draft. Very good late rounders.
                We need to do that at times as well.

Keenan also played 10 games not 7.
                8 full games and 2 partials.
                You finally get it! Maybe, because Miami gave big money to Tyreek, other areas suffered like their Oline! Couldn't even keep their QB's standing! I stand corrected KA played in 11 games and could only muster 752 yards and 4 TD, and his hamstrings failed him! That's with an all world QB named Herbert passing to him also. I'm more than ready to move on from that for what he does to our cap and WR depth! For what he makes that's called stealing money! You could easily get 752 yards and 4 TD's from a top rookie WR or solid FA, with a QB like Herbert passing to him!

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Roster build, I don't know about the rest of you folks but last season we were supposed to see the duo of Mack/Bosa and it did not come to pass. I want them both brought back this season to fulfill that promise. Yes, the Chargers can afford it by cutting Keenan Allen, Gerald Everett, and Feiler. We have a replacement for Feiler in-house in Salyer and Chargers draft WR & TE and go with the youth movement on offense. Younger, faster, healthier, and cheaper.

Comment

• nomad1946
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2017
                    • West Yellowstone, Montana
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

It's a pretty common injury actually, especially for WRs.

I'll help
                    Why would we be trading Parham? He is a RFA.

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

You finally get it! Maybe, because Miami gave big money to Tyreek, other areas suffered like their Oline! Couldn't even keep their QB's standing! I stand corrected KA played in 11 games and could only muster 752 yards and 4 TD, and his hamstrings failed him! That's with an all world QB named Herbert passing to him also. I'm more than ready to move on from that for what he does to our cap and WR depth! For what he makes that's called stealing money!
                      It's stealing money and he's slated for a $2.5 million dollar raise to $21,700,000 per season.

Comment

• electricgold
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                        Roster build, I don't know about the rest of you folks but last season we were supposed to see the duo of Mack/Bosa and it did not come to pass. I want them both brought back this season to fulfill that promise. Yes, the Chargers can afford it by cutting Keenan Allen, Gerald Everett, and Feiler. We have a replacement for Feiler in-house in Salyer and Chargers draft WR & TE and go with the youth movement on offense. Younger, faster, healthier, and cheaper.
                        I'm on the same page with you, its about winning games and doing whatever it takes even if that means saying goodbye to your so called star players when you finish like you did last season! The problem is there are to many fanboys following the Chargers and their players living in the past who don't mind being embarrassed like we were last season! Its about winning games, period! Not being loyal to KA and buying his jersey, who doesn't give one rip about the fans and always calls out the LA Chargers fans not being his home crowd, while sitting out several games and then plays subpar in the playoffs after he's rested several games and should be fresh for the big game! Bosa can hit the road too after his big season finish, if we could get young fast hungry players to take his place!

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

I'm on the same page with you, its about winning games and doing whatever it takes even if that means saying goodbye to your so called star players when you finish like you did last season! The problem is there are to many fanboys following the Chargers and their players living in the past who don't mind being embarrassed like we were last season! Its about winning games, period! Not being loyal to KA who doesn't give one rip about the fans and always calls out the LA Chargers fans not being his home crowd!
                          https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...led-prospects/

The Kansas City Chiefs won the Super Bowl for many reasons and leaned heavily on a rookie class after trading Tyreek Hill. They showed that trading away a superstar and allocating new resources and freed up money to replace said superstar and add to other areas of the team can win the season's ultimate prize.

That philosophy is now proven to be one of the many ways to construct a Super Bowl-winning club in today's NFL.

Here's a look at 2023 NFL Draft prospects who could perform similar tasks to those carried out by Chiefs stars and vital role-players en route to winning the Lombardi Trophy for the second time in four years. It's a list other teams should be taking a look at to copy the Chiefs through the draft.

Before I begin, Patrick Mahomes will not be featured in this column. He's already tracking toward becoming one of the best players in NFL history. And yes, he started as a prospect like everyone else, a young player whom no one wanted to put too lofty of a comparison. If I thought there was the next Mahomes in this draft class, I'd say so. Spoiler: There isn't.

Overwhelmingly big left tackle
                          • For Chiefs: Orlando Brown
                          • 2023 prospects to fit this role: Ohio State's Dawand Jones, Tennessee's Darnell Wright* (*TPB Forum is on their game and sang their praises today)

The Brown trade was the first in some highly polarizing moves from Chiefs general manager Brett Veach, and while the former Ravens third-round pick hasn't been a dominant blocker, he certainly upgraded the vital position blocking one of the edges for Mahomes.

Now, at nearly 6-foot-8 and 345 pounds, Brown-sized blockers who are actually top 100-caliber prospects don't come around often. Jones fits the bill. He measured in at 6-8 and 375 pounds at the Senior Bowl, and his film is damn good. He has balance, power, and utilizes his length outstandingly, just like he did at Oklahoma.

Wright isn't quite as big as Jones or Brown, but at 6-5 and 342 pounds with a wingspan close to 83 inches, he's a mountain of a man, too. And he plays with deceptive athleticism and NFL veteran-caliber hand work when battling edge defenders.

Thick, super-experienced center
                          • For Chiefs: Creed Humphrey
                          • 2023 prospects to fit this role: Minnesota's John Michael Schmitz, Michigan's Olusegun Oluwatimi, Arkansas' Ricky Stromberg
                          Kansas City's second-round selection of Humphrey last year was as vital as any acquisition Veach has made since the Super Bowl loss to the Buccaneers. The three-year starter at Oklahoma has been rock-solid at center for Andy Reid's offense since the first week of his NFL career.

Schmitz from Minnesota probably won't test quite as amazingly as Humphrey did in 2021 but will actually be more experienced playing the center position at a Power 5 school. Humphrey logged more than 2,400 snaps with the Sooners from 2018 to 2020. Schmitz was right under 2,500 for the Gophers. Oluwatimi has Humphrey-esque balance blocking for the run and pass. He's unshakeable. Plenty to like about how he wins the leverage and angle games on a routine basis. Stromberg's film is a little messier than the two centers from the Big Ten, but he often just gets the job done against big nose tackles or quick under tackles alike.

Lightning-charged, later-round running back
                          • For Chiefs: Isiah Pacheco
                          • 2023 prospects to fit this role: Tulane's Tyjae Spears, East Carolina's Keaton Mitchell, Pittsburgh's Israel Abanikanda
                          When all is said and done, Spears will probably be picked much earlier than Pacheco was (Round 7). However, they're comparable running back prospects who aren't exceptionally big but run with so much speed-to-power conversion. We normally use that term strictly for defensive linemen, but it absolutely holds true with someone who runs like Pacheco. Spears is very fast in the open field -- he'll hit home runs in the NFL.

Much of the same is true for Mitchell, who's a touch smaller and initially projects to a secondary back role in the NFL. However, one cut and he's gone if there's space. Abanikanda, as an underclassmen, hasn't gotten much buzz. Yet. He snuck through small spaces to find daylight and hit a plethora of long runs during his illustrious career at Pittsburgh. He'll probably be available on Day 3 but absolutely can be a RB1 on a high-powered offense as a rookie.

Long, disruptive, athletic defensive tackle
                          • For Chiefs: Chris Jones
                          • 2023 prospects to fit this role: Georgia's Jalen Carter, Bowling Green's Karl Brooks, Texas' Moro Ojomo, Oklahoma's Jalen Redmond

I made the Carter-Jones comparison last week. It's too perfect. And it's only relevant for probably the clubs picking in the top 5. Carter moves like a defensive end but is powerful like a nose tackle and has a Jones-type long frame. Later in the draft -- remember, Jones was a second-round pick -- I love the upside of Brooks from Bowling Green, a 6-3, 303-pound hybrid who mainly won with great regularity as a stand-up rusher over the past two seasons. There is major juice to his game, and he deploys his hands like a sensei.

Ojomo is that crazy-long, inside-out rusher who prides himself on getting into blockers frames first then utilizing Jones-esque pass-rushing moves to win into the backfield. Redmond was asked to eat blockers more than anyone else in this group but flashed serious pass-rush ability because of his twitchiness when given an opportunity. - CBSSport NFL analyst Chris Trapasso

I believe they left off RT Andrew Wylie from the must have. Watch the highlights again and you see consistent, high-level play across the Chiefs line. Listen, I'm a basics guy and I think the best coaching of all time is the 1954 NY Giants. I can't tell you the name of the head coach either, but the offensive coordinator was Vince Lombardi and the defensive coordinator was Tom Landry. Lombardi was one of 'The Seven Blocks of Granite' on Fordham University's offensive line under HC Jim Crowley and line coach Frank Leahy. This is where games are won. The Chargers need to address the offensive line in the first round (or second) and then WR in the first - then DT, then address the TE position. The offensive line must be sound as a pound to compete in the playoffs, and the second half of the playoff loss to the Jaguars, I hope, is enough to convince this offense needs a higher baseline of play at the RT position and the best way to accomplish that is addressing it first when you have an opportunity to land of the top two blue chip offensive tackles in the entire draft and under the tutelage of known root-hog football coach Kellen Moore.

That's a plan to better last season.

Comment

Working...
                          X