• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
    Us fans that have a more negative outlook on how this team performs and has basically been ran for years now don't feel it's superbowl or bust lol.
    How about not limpin(MW) into the playoffs just to friggin Charger away the game in a literally historic and utterly embarrassing manner.We have Herb as a QB and most fans believe if he was on more than a few other teams he would have already won many more games if not made it to a bowl game.Its not superbowl or bust for us "downers" lol.This year will make or break Staley and definitely TT.If we fail as a team and they are still retained I for one will lose total interest in this Spanos run bullshit team.But I believe if we sputter out and don't make a solid playoff runin '23 that both will be gone as even the SpAnus idjits ain't That stupid.Or are they....

I'm in this camp. I don't 'hate' the team, but I'm vastly disappointed in their performance.

I've said it before - and will continue to say it; They don't have to win a SB to make me happy (although I would be ecstatic if they did). My goal and hope for the team is that, if / when they lose, it's because the other team beat them, not because they choked and GAVE it away.

It's that simple . . . . .

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Us fans that have a more negative outlook on how this team performs and has basically been ran for years now don't feel it's superbowl or bust lol.How about not limpin(MW) into the playoffs just to friggin Charger away the game in a literally historic and utterly embarrassing manner.We have Herb as a QB and most fans believe if he was on more than a few other teams he would have already won many more games if not made it to a bowl game.Its not superbowl or bust for us "downers" lol.This year will make or break Staley and definitely TT.If we fail as a team and they are still retained I for one will lose total interest in this Spanos run bullshit team.But I believe if we sputter out and don't make a solid playoff runin '23 that both will be gone as even the SpAnus idjits ain't That stupid.Or are they....
      I appreciate the negative perspectives, again its not that I don’t get it and i don’t want more. “Ran for years” is history - the current Head of Football Ops was just tagged along and watched 20 yrs ago. Not all chargering is the HC or FO fault - it wasnt their fault McCree fucked up imo. Players are told since pop warner what to do on 4th down of the last gasp drive of an opponent, every goof on a couch knows what to do, including me. There was a looooong-running meme on what to do on ESPN “JUST KNOCK IT DOWN” that every player had to see a hundred times. Players are human and not every player fuckup is the HC’s fault unless the same player has done the same fuckup over and over and over. Embarrassment is just an internalized emotion. I hated that JAX loss but I’m not embarrassed. I’m me, I wasn’t even there much less on the field much less responsible. “made it to a bowl game”? What, like the Fiesta Bowl? Huh? There is only one SB, what other bowl is there?

i am looking forward. What is the “make or break” criteria for 2023? What does he have to do? “Not chargering” isn’t specific and its subjective:

- how do you define “fail as a team”? Not winning the SB, or something less?

- What does “sputter out” mean? Sputter out at the end of season, of start out sputtering? What defines sputter? Every team has an up and down (or multiple), there were no undefeated teams since the 72 Dolphins. You mean perfect each of 17 weeks or … what?

- What is “solid playoff run”. Making it to the Division round? AFCCG? SB? Winning the SB?

I don’t think it’s a bullshit team, i do think Spani are idiots and have made a long list of errors in their long ownership. I have less confidence in TT than BS, personally. but i don’t put a playoff-caliber team in the category of bullshit. Maybe we define terms differently.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I appreciate the negative perspectives, again its not that I don’t get it and i don’t want more. “Ran for years” is history - the current Head of Football Ops was just tagged along and watched 20 yrs ago. Not all chargering is the HC or FO fault - it wasnt their fault McCree fucked up imo. Players are told since pop warner what to do on 4th down of the last gasp drive of an opponent, every goof on a couch knows what to do, including me. There was a looooong-running meme on what to do on ESPN “JUST KNOCK IT DOWN” that every player had to see a hundred times. Players are human and not every player fuckup is the HC’s fault unless the same player has done the same fuckup over and over and over. Embarrassment is just an internalized emotion. I hated that JAX loss but I’m not embarrassed. I’m me, I wasn’t even there much less on the field much less responsible. “made it to a bowl game”? What, like the Fiesta Bowl? Huh? There is only one SB, what other bowl is there?

i am looking forward. What is the “make or break” criteria for 2023? What does he have to do? “Not chargering” isn’t specific and its subjective:

- how do you define “fail as a team”? Not winning the SB, or something less?

- What does “sputter out” mean? Sputter out at the end of season, of start out sputtering? What defines sputter? Every team has an up and down (or multiple), there were no undefeated teams since the 72 Dolphins. You mean perfect each of 17 weeks or … what?

- What is “solid playoff run”. Making it to the Division round? AFCCG? SB? Winning the SB?

I don’t think it’s a bullshit team, i do think Spani are idiots and have made a long list of errors in their long ownership. I have less confidence in TT than BS, personally. but i don’t put a playoff-caliber team in the category of bullshit. Maybe we define terms differently.

They don't have to win a SB to make me happy (although I would be ecstatic if they did). My hope for the team is that, if / when they lose, it's because the other team beat them, not because they choked and GAVE it away. To me it IS embarrassing to root for a team that always seems to finds a way to screw up, rather than finding a way to win.

It's that simple . . . . .​

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

They don't have to win a SB to make me happy (although I would be ecstatic if they did). My hope for the team is that, if / when they lose, it's because the other team beat them, not because they choked and GAVE it away. To me it IS embarrassing to root for a team that always seems to finds a way to screw up, rather than finding a way to win.

That isn’t simple. So no specific measurable we can later measure to? You’ll let us know if you think the other team played well (enough) or we choked (too much)? Ok, not sure how that will apply but we’ll see.

Always wasn’t always, you know. They won 10 games. They are drafting 21st because they were better than 20 teams overall. If you only pay attention to the losses, you’ll always be mad. and I am sorry you’re embarrassed.

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

You don't seem to think having healthy quality starters at QB, WR, OL, Edge, DL and CB is a plus.
            To each his own.
            You didn't answer my questions. You said "A number of issues have been addressed or fixed". As in multiple. Are you hoping (against hope) that the team is going to be injury free? Or is it more realistic to expect there to be multiple injuries (because that's what happens to EVERY team)?

When it comes to injuries, I feel that I am decidedly NOT negative. Not overly, anyway. Injuries are a big part of every team's season, which is why it's up to the FO to stock the roster with more than good/very good front line players. Did we seem to have more than our fair share last year? Yes. And the HOPE is that we can cut back on that. But just because we have 'top talent' in the starting 11, with weak backups, doesn't bode well for dealing with what I feel will be unavoidable injuries.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

You didn't answer my questions. You said "A number of issues have been addressed or fixed". As in multiple. Are you hoping (against hope) that the team is going to be injury free? Or is it more realistic to expect there to be multiple injuries (because that's what happens to EVERY team)?

When it comes to injuries, I feel that I am decidedly NOT negative. Not overly, anyway. Injuries are a big part of every team's season, which is why it's up to the FO to stock the roster with more than good/very good front line players. Did we seem to have more than our fair share last year? Yes. And the HOPE is that we can cut back on that. But just because we have 'top talent' in the starting 11, with weak backups, doesn't bode well for dealing with what I feel will be unavoidable injuries.
              Injuries happen every year on every team.
              Not like the Chargers in 2022. We will get most back in game shape. Highly unlikely to lose the most in NFL again.
              To start 2023 we will have improved at QB, WR, LT, LG,RG, RT, Edge, DL, LB. Probably CB, over how we played most of 2022.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

That isn’t simple. So no specific measurable we can later measure to? You’ll let us know if you think the other team played well (enough) or we choked (too much)? Ok, not sure how that will apply but we’ll see.

Always wasn’t always, you know. They won 10 games. They are drafting 21st because they were better than 20 teams overall. If you only pay attention to the losses, you’ll always be mad. and I am sorry you’re embarrassed.
                Actually it is simple. It's quite easy to see when a team's in panic mode, turtling and collapsing. I'd prefer that they didn't do that any more .

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

As Bum Phillips used to say, "our goal isn't to win or lose...our goal is to play good..."

If u play good, the winning will take care of itself...

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Actually it is simple. It's quite easy to see when a team's in panic mode, turtling and collapsing. I'd prefer that they didn't do that any more .
                    With Marty, the turtling up took the form of Martyball...
                    With Lynn, the turtling up took the form of HorribleCallBall...
                    With Lombo, the turtling up took the form of PredictableShortPassBall...

Let's hope we see no Moore of the above...

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

With Marty, the turtling up took the form of Martyball...
                      With Lynn, the turtling up took the form of HorribleCallBall...
                      With Lombo, the turtling up took the form of PredictableShortPassBall...

Let's hope we see no Moore of the above...
                      If you're going to keep this up (and you will) at least go find me the Jean Luc Picard 'facepalm' emoji. How can we NOT have that in our smilies collection!!!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

As Bum Phillips used to say, "our goal isn't to win or lose...our goal is to play good..."

If u play good, the winning will take care of itself...
                        As Red Sanders said, Winning isnt everything, its the only thing.

Edit; and Bum Philips was a cheater who never won anything.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Losing games due to injury is a real thing.

Comment

Working...
                          X