• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

Moore Air
        I like it!

And if your Tom Brady Less air...better to grip! LOL!

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• DerwinBosa
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2022
          • Send PM

From an article in The Athletic.

Dallas Cowboys

Jerry Jones and the fans of his team always believe this is their year. There’s always an excuse for the previous season’s shortcomings and a declaration that they are ready at last to make a run at the Super Bowl.
          ​
          This year’s scapegoat is departed offensive coordinator Kellen Moore. Coach Mike McCarthy believes that the offense will be better under his direction. However, McCarthy’s demise in Green Bay came amid criticism that his offense was unimaginative, out of date and predictable. Is this the year he gets his groove back? The acquisition of Brandin Cooks could help, but the Cowboys likely will miss Ezekiel Elliott, at the very least as a goal-line threat. (He had 12 rushing touchdowns last season.) They also could miss tight end Dalton Schultz. The defense should again thrive under Dan Quinn’s direction, but it’s debatable whether Dak Prescott has enough support to take the Cowboys on a deep playoff run.

Los Angeles Chargers

Desperate to take his prized quarterback and offense to another level, coach Brandon Staley went out and lured Kellen Moore to L.A. The Chargers believe Moore will be the difference-maker and that Justin Herbert will take them on a deep playoff run. The NFL schedule-makers also are buying in, giving the Chargers six primetime games this season. But expectations should probably be tempered. Moore could very well help Herbert and the offense in some regards. However, the play-caller was rather inconsistent in Dallas (was that his fault, or McCarthy’s?), so he first must prove himself. And on top of that, Staley and his players have to prove they can do better in those crucial, high-pressure situations.

I haven't seen Moore's "inconsistency." Maybe there's nothing to it, and these writers and fans are just parroting what Mike McCarthy has said. A Bears fan said to me this week, "So you got Kellen Moore, huh? He doesn't like to run the ball." Yet, Staley said he hired Moore in part to improve the running game, and the Cowboys ran the ball very well under Moore. I don't get it.
          ​

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
            From an article in The Athletic.

Dallas Cowboys

Jerry Jones and the fans of his team always believe this is their year. There’s always an excuse for the previous season’s shortcomings and a declaration that they are ready at last to make a run at the Super Bowl.
            ​
            This year’s scapegoat is departed offensive coordinator Kellen Moore. Coach Mike McCarthy believes that the offense will be better under his direction. However, McCarthy’s demise in Green Bay came amid criticism that his offense was unimaginative, out of date and predictable. Is this the year he gets his groove back? The acquisition of Brandin Cooks could help, but the Cowboys likely will miss Ezekiel Elliott, at the very least as a goal-line threat. (He had 12 rushing touchdowns last season.) They also could miss tight end Dalton Schultz. The defense should again thrive under Dan Quinn’s direction, but it’s debatable whether Dak Prescott has enough support to take the Cowboys on a deep playoff run.

Los Angeles Chargers

Desperate to take his prized quarterback and offense to another level, coach Brandon Staley went out and lured Kellen Moore to L.A. The Chargers believe Moore will be the difference-maker and that Justin Herbert will take them on a deep playoff run. The NFL schedule-makers also are buying in, giving the Chargers six primetime games this season. But expectations should probably be tempered. Moore could very well help Herbert and the offense in some regards. However, the play-caller was rather inconsistent in Dallas (was that his fault, or McCarthy’s?), so he first must prove himself. And on top of that, Staley and his players have to prove they can do better in those crucial, high-pressure situations.

I haven't seen Moore's "inconsistency." Maybe there's nothing to it, and these writers and fans are just parroting what Mike McCarthy has said. A Bears fan said to me this week, "So you got Kellen Moore, huh? He doesn't like to run the ball." Yet, Staley said he hired Moore in part to improve the running game, and the Cowboys ran the ball very well under Moore. I don't get it.
            ​
            I wouldn't get caught up in a conversation about "What Kellen Moore did in Dallas".
            I wouldn't even try to understand Kellen Moore's "scheme". He doesn't seem to have one.

I would concentrate on 2 different things:

1) Kellen Moore will adapt his "scheme" and play design based on the players available. Know your Chargers' depth chart.
            2) Go with what you personally know about last year's Joe Lombardi offense... and all the things you hated about it. Then realize that Staley hated those same things.

#1 Roster: It's built to throw. Herbert is the franchise. KA, MW, and the new 1st round pick (Quentin Johnson). You have a young Pro Bowl left tackle. You have a veteran Pro Bowl center. The rest of the OL is young and ascending talent. You have an under-appreciated TE in Everett... one of the best RB weapons in the NFL, and intriguing depth @WR in Josh Palmer/Derius Davis. When Staley talks about "improving the running game"... remember that he uses the term "Marry the run/pass game" over and over again. Which brings me to the 2nd point...

#2 Joe Lombardi's offense: The most frustrating thing about Joe Lombardi's offense (other than the staggering injuries) was the telegraphed play design and formations. Half of the formations telegraphed "run" and the other half telegraphed "pass". Even us novices knew what was coming nearly every play. If we were talking about it on the Game Day Thread, you know Staley/TT were talking about it during the season, too. The 2nd half collapses had to wear on Staley as much as they wore on us. It didn't take Staley/TT to jettison Lombardi after the playoff loss... even before Moore became available. If you Google "Kellen Moore Teaching Videos" you will find that Moore's play design is vastly different than Lombardi's. Moore runs and passes from formations that spread defenses vertically and horizontally. Yes, you can run from formations that typically scream "pass"... and pass from formations that scream "run". When Staley talks about marrying the run/pass games... I think he's talking about these Moore concepts. Like Lombardi's firing, it didn't take for Moore's hiring.

We'll gladly take advantage of Dallas' fuck-up.
            Based on Moore's tendencies and our specific roster... I expect about 60/40 pass/rush ratio.
            It's only a guess... I'm super excited to see what actually happens.
            One thing for sure... I care 0% about what Bears' fan thinks he knows...

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Ghost has done an excellent job posting a lot of "Kellen Moore Teaching" videos.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I wouldn't get caught up in a conversation about "What Kellen Moore did in Dallas".
                I wouldn't even try to understand Kellen Moore's "scheme". He doesn't seem to have one.

I would concentrate on 2 different things:

1) Kellen Moore will adapt his "scheme" and play design based on the players available. Know your Chargers' depth chart.
                2) Go with what you personally know about last year's Joe Lombardi offense... and all the things you hated about it. Then realize that Staley hated those same things.

#1 Roster: It's built to throw. Herbert is the franchise. KA, MW, and the new 1st round pick (Quentin Johnson). You have a young Pro Bowl left tackle. You have a veteran Pro Bowl center. The rest of the OL is young and ascending talent. You have an under-appreciated TE in Everett... one of the best RB weapons in the NFL, and intriguing depth @WR in Josh Palmer/Derius Davis. When Staley talks about "improving the running game"... remember that he uses the term "Marry the run/pass game" over and over again. Which brings me to the 2nd point...

#2 Joe Lombardi's offense: The most frustrating thing about Joe Lombardi's offense (other than the staggering injuries) was the telegraphed play design and formations. Half of the formations telegraphed "run" and the other half telegraphed "pass". Even us novices knew what was coming nearly every play. If we were talking about it on the Game Day Thread, you know Staley/TT were talking about it during the season, too. The 2nd half collapses had to wear on Staley as much as they wore on us. It didn't take Staley/TT to jettison Lombardi after the playoff loss... even before Moore became available. If you Google "Kellen Moore Teaching Videos" you will find that Moore's play design is vastly different than Lombardi's. Moore runs and passes from formations that spread defenses vertically and horizontally. Yes, you can run from formations that typically scream "pass"... and pass from formations that scream "run". When Staley talks about marrying the run/pass games... I think he's talking about these Moore concepts. Like Lombardi's firing, it didn't take for Moore's hiring.

We'll gladly take advantage of Dallas' fuck-up.
                Based on Moore's tendencies and our specific roster... I expect about 60/40 pass/rush ratio.
                It's only a guess... I'm super excited to see what actually happens.
                One thing for sure... I care 0% about what Bears' fan thinks he knows...
                Nice write up.

But when you get down to it, the Chargers need to run inside the redzone, or they'll continue to struggle scoring tds.
                None of this run out of passing formations stuff: run out of running formations down there.

My feeling on the matter is that Herbert isn't as effective inside the redzone as some other top qbs.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Nice write up.

But when you get down to it, the Chargers need to run inside the redzone, or they'll continue to struggle scoring tds.
                  None of this run out of passing formations stuff: run out of running formations down there.

My feeling on the matter is that Herbert isn't as effective inside the redzone as some other top qbs.
                  This is theoretically our best OL in many years. If so Moore and Herbert can do whatever they damn well please. Receivers are A+, Ekeler is A+ and Herbert is the best player on the team.
                  It's on Moore.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Utah
                    • Midnight Toker
                    • Send PM

Nice write up.

This is true. We have been down right feeble in the read zone. I would love to see some Horvath in those goal line situations.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Nice write up.

Oh, redzone play-calling has been irritating for years now! If there is anything more irritating than a Joe Lombardi formation... it's a Joe Lombardi formation in the redzone!

Hey Joe, if you empty the backfield on 2nd and goal... I'm fairly sure it's going to be a pass play. Duh!
                      Outside the redzone, I want to see a 65/35 pass/run ratio (especially considering our specific roster)
                      Inside the redzone, show me a 35/65 pass/run ratio.
                      A pick-6 inside the redzone should never ever, ever, ever happen.
                      Impose your will! Let your big boys push people around and be bullies.

I better see a shit-load of 10 and 11 personnel for most of the game.
                      I better see more 12 personnel in the redzone. For the record, Moore has thrown out of the 12-personnel packages.
                      If I see 13 personnel (or Horvath anywhere near my redzone formation)... someone should be fired. You can't tell me taking KA or MW off the field for that slop is a good decision.

WR's KA and MW can spread a defense... especially in the redzone! Would any team be stupid enough to single cover KA or MW on 1st-and-goal from the 7 yard line...? A defense should be forced to commit a CB and a safety to both of those guys. 2 v 4 gives you a numbers advantage. MW is a size mis-match. Give KA 2.5 seconds to undress any cornerback in the NFL... I'll take that every game, every play... twice on Sundays.
                      TE's Everett and Parham are run blocking (and redzone catching) options... both of them better options than McKitty/Horvath.
                      Any of the RB's (Ekeler, Kelley, or Spiller) are essential and capable players.

There's absolutely no excuse to score a TD in the redzone 80-90% of the time... given this specific roster.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                        Ghost has done an excellent job posting a lot of "Kellen Moore Teaching" videos.
                        He has but we have better personal on our offense than they do in key areas such as QB and WR. A pretty good OL and a HC who doesnt demand we run more.
                        So to me, what Dallas did don't matter much to what we will do.

Like you said, Moore doesn't have a specific scheme, he takes pieces from others and comes up with his own based on players skills. Yes we will run but we also have much more at WR than just CeeDee Lamb.

I guess we will see but i expect the offense to be different than Dallas'.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Nice write up.

Remember that wicked processing and pass in the redzone in 2021 at Cincinnati? I think we see a lot more of that.
                          Redzone O will be greatly improved under Moore, I'm not worried about Herbert's ability there but I understand where your feeling is coming from.
                          Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

Working...
                          X