• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YAC
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2023
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
    Giving incredibly boring soundbites in no way affects his personality enough to stop him from being head coach at the level of his choosing. His father is Prosser Mustang football. Kellen is building his own thing.
    Coaches give boring soundbites when they don't want to divulge anything. That's not what I'm talking about here.

I believe a good head coach needs some charisma and some type-A personality traits. Shouldn't be hesitant to grab the microphone or get in front of a crowd. A HC absolutely gotta lead. Kellen seems to me like a guy who is most comfortable working on X's and O's and in the context of a film study with his players. Or calling plays in a game. Numerous great coordinators fail when they try to make the jump to head coach. I think of Norv Turner and Wade Phillips as two quick examples, both who lacked assertive traits.

A son's personality is frequently different than his father, so I don't see that connection as germane to my point here.

If the offense rocks, sure I could see Kellen get a HC offer or two. I just hope Moore can see that his best path is to work in a support role with someone of kindred philosophy, as he has with Staley.

Comment

• YAC
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2023
      • Send PM

There are different flavors of head coaches for sure...some more professorial, some more psychological, some more fiery...but you gotta have some of what Coach Cowher exhibits in this discussion on the profession.

I recommend watching a few minutes starting about the 4:30 minute point.

Articulate, confident and assertive. Staley got it. I hear the Yute call it "riz"

Last edited by YAC; 09-03-2023, 09:43 PM.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by YAC View Post
        There are different flavors of head coaches for sure...some more professorial, some more psychological, some more fiery...but you gotta have some of what Coach Cowher exhibits in this discussion on the profession.

I recommend watching a few minutes starting about the 4:30 minute point.

Articulate, confident and assertive. Staley got it. I hear the Yute call it "riz"

Ironically, that trait is what rubs some of the Staley detractors so wrong. How dare he be confident, positive, blah blah so early when he hasn’t proven shit - he definitely doesn’t really get it.

(Just my armchair psyche eval, i could be wrong in my reading).

I disagree with that interpretation and think he’s thought about this a lot more than his detractors have.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Coaches give boring soundbites when they don't want to divulge anything. That's not what I'm talking about here.

I believe a good head coach needs some charisma and some type-A personality traits. Shouldn't be hesitant to grab the microphone or get in front of a crowd. A HC absolutely gotta lead. Kellen seems to me like a guy who is most comfortable working on X's and O's and in the context of a film study with his players. Or calling plays in a game. Numerous great coordinators fail when they try to make the jump to head coach. I think of Norv Turner and Wade Phillips as two quick examples, both who lacked assertive traits.

A son's personality is frequently different than his father, so I don't see that connection as germane to my point here.

If the offense rocks, sure I could see Kellen get a HC offer or two. I just hope Moore can see that his best path is to work in a support role with someone of kindred philosophy, as he has with Staley.
          Linsley and Keenan say Moore is a calm steady guy. Keenan said he didn’t think he’d ever heard him yell. Linsley said defensive coaches are the hot heads

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Cowher, Reid…all these HCs folks are lauding didn’t win anything until they’d been doing like a dozen years or so (and Reid only with a unicorn).

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              Cowher, Reid…all these HCs folks are lauding didn’t win anything until they’d been doing like a dozen years or so (and Reid only with a unicorn).
              We keep trying to point this out, maybe it will eventually pierce the hardened shell of well formulated opinions

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Lose the last game of the year two years in a row? You're out!
                Never mind that 31 other teams are in the same boat.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kauai
                  • Send PM

YAC hey man i apologize for not telling you why i merged your thread into this one. Just trying to keep all Moore related stuff in this one thread. Aloha.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Prosser Mustang is not germaine to your point? Because it obliterates your point, is the point. Drop it.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                      Chargers Hall of Fame
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                      Linsley said defensive coaches are the hot heads
                      Wonder if Sean McVay is the exception.

Comment

• YAC
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2023
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                        Prosser Mustang is not germaine to your point? Because it obliterates your point, is the point. Drop it.
                        We've already covered that ground:
                        A son doesn't get a personality from his father.

I would add: leading high school kids is also very different than leading a pro locker room.
                        Last edited by YAC; 09-04-2023, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

We've already covered that ground:
                          A son doesn't get a personality from his father.

I would add: leading high school kids is also very different than leading a pro locker room.
                          High school coach dad doesn’t qualify anyone for NFL HC job. I am not disqualifying Moore - I have read the pros and cons posted, I have no idea what the young man is like. a HC job is much more than X’s and O’s, but being a genius at those cannot hurt. we seldom know in advance which of the up and comers will succeed and which will not - we always think we have a good idea but we are wrong often enough to have to ask if its just luck when we are right?

Comment

Working...
                          X