• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

F is a little silly. But it's to be expected for some here. What exactly were you expecting? Another offseason like last year. There's a little thing called salary cap. You kind of have to keep that in mind. It's not all just free free free shopping spree.
    I mentioned the salary cap when I brought up 2024. Did you not read that part?

It's not silly when you look at it objectively, even if you don't agree with my opinion.

I don't think it was wise to restructure Keenan Allen's contract and push it off until next year. Telesco is doing this for a wide receiver who's been our #1 for 10 years, and we've won two playoff games with him in that role over that time. Where was he in our last two playoff losses, against Jacksonville and New England? I can't recall any big game in which Allen has stepped up and proven he's the man.

We got run over by Seattle, San Francisco, the Raiders, and other teams last season. Telesco's solution to the run defense issue was to draft an edge in the second round and a linebacker in the third. Then he drafted a defensive tackle in the sixth. Some here probably believe we have enough with Sebastian Joseph-Day, Austin Johnson, and the young backups. I certainly do not.

Our running game sucked on several occasions last year. Austin Ekeler wants out, and we have Joshua Kelley and Isiah Spiller backing him up. Many here think Ekeler is good enough as the primary back and we should expect Spiller to take a huge leap. I think we needed to upgrade from Ekeler, and if we're keeping him, he would serve better as a change of pace #2. Some may believe the changes in the offensive line, along with Rashawn Slater's return, will solve our problems in the running game. I think we need much more talent in our backfield.

Telesco actually is going all in this season, and he's doing it without improving the team's biggest weaknesses from last year while making the 2024 cap situation worse. That's why he gets an F from me.
    Last edited by DerwinBosa; 05-03-2023, 08:15 PM.

Comment

• SuperCharged
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Utah
      • Midnight Toker
      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
      when you look at it objectively
      That is exactly what you are NOT doing.

Our running game sucked on several occasions last year. Austin Ekeler wants out, and we have Justin Kelley and Isiah Spiller backing him up. Many here think Ekeler is good enough as the primary back and we should expect Spiller to take a huge leap. I think we needed to upgrade from Ekeler, and if we're keeping him, he would serve better as a change of pace #2. Some may believe the changes in the offensive line, along with Rashawn Slater's return, will solve our problems in the running game. I think we need much more talent in our backfield.
      See that is just wrong. The whole take. 1st Ek is not anywhere near a primary back. Not even close. That is obvious. We have mid round picks with Kelly and Spiller and you want more? Why? And why do you think in this draft mid round backs would have been than what we already have? There weren't any backs worth reaching for after Bijan. RB will be a priority next year. Unless Spiller has a good season. I think our O line will be top 10 maybe even top 5 in the league this year. So we'll see.

I don't think it was wise to restructure Keenan Allen's contract and push it off until next year.
      We restructured to help with the cap to keep him for another year.... Not sure what your getting at. He will be gone next year. So it was the correct move and it's been pretty unanimous. The restructures of KA and MW solidified the QJ pick. He and Palmer are going to be the #1 and 2 next year. You'll probably see a high round pick for RB, TE and even another WR come next draft.

Still and F is a silly take.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2022
        • Send PM

That is exactly what you are NOT doing.

See that is just wrong. The whole take. 1st Ek is not anywhere near a primary back. Not even close. That is obvious. We have mid round picks with Kelly and Spiller and you want more? Why? And why do you think in this draft mid round backs would have been than what we already have? There weren't any backs worth reaching for after Bijan. RB will be a priority next year. Unless Spiller has a good season. I think our O line will be top 10 maybe even top 5 in the league this year. So we'll see.

We restructured to help with the cap to keep him for another year.... Not sure what your getting at. He will be gone next year. So it was the correct move and it's been pretty unanimous. The restructures of KA and MW solidified the QJ pick. He and Palmer are going to be the #1 and 2 next year. You'll probably see a high round pick for RB, TE and even another WR come next draft.

Still and F is a silly take.

Look, man, I get that you're an optimist. That's fine. Not everyone is going to be in love with Telesco's moves, though, and you should respect that, especially after only two playoff wins in ten years.

You're right about Ekeler not being a primary back. Unfortunately for us he's our #1 back. That's not changing this season.

Why do I want more than Kelley and Spiller? Because they don't do enough. Just because they were drafted in the fourth round doesn't mean we never do it again. It doesn't mean we just say, "Hey, they were drafted in the fourth round, so let's not pick any running backs after Bijan Robinson and Jahmyr Gibbs get taken." That's ludicrous.

Keeping Allen for another year was not the correct move, as far as I'm concerned, and others see it this way, so it's not unanimous. This goes against what Bill Walsh, Andy Reid, and other great coaches have done while maintaining championship rosters. "Get rid of a player a year early before keeping him a year too late," is how it goes. This is why Andy Reid wins a Super Bowl the season after trading away Tyreek Hill, who was three years younger than Allen is now.

Telesco could have saved $14.8 million in cap space by cutting Allen or $16 million by trading him this offseason. Instead he chose to restructure Allen's deal so his cap hit will be over $34 million in 2024, which means he won't be on the team next season and will result in a dead cap hit of over $11.5 million. So we're going through all of this trouble to keep a 31-year-old receiver we've won two playoff games with for only one more year, while drafting a receiver in the first round when we have Mike Williams (another first-round pick) and Joshua Palmer, who caught 72 passes last season. This is after the Chiefs won a Super Bowl with Juju Smith-Schuster on a cheap contract replacing Tyreek Hill.

The money saved from cutting or trading Allen could have gone elsewhere, and I think Herbert, being as great as he is, would have been just fine with Quentin Johnston, Mike Williams, and Joshua Palmer as his top three receivers. We may even see him doing just that, since it won't be a shock if Allen gets injured.

You don't see it that way? Good for you. That's your right. But I am in fact looking at objectively, which you cannot deny.
        Last edited by DerwinBosa; 05-03-2023, 08:25 PM.

Comment

• electricgold
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2020
          • Send PM

Depends on how QJ and Tuli perform but as of today on paper The Bills and Bengals look to me like they may of had a better draft than us?

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Look, man, I get that you're an optimist. That's fine. Not everyone is going to be in love with Telesco's moves, though, and you should respect that, especially after only two playoff wins in ten years.

You're right about Ekeler not being a primary back. Unfortunately for us he's our #1 back. That's not changing this season.

Why do I want more than Kelley and Spiller? Because they don't do enough. Just because they were drafted in the fourth round doesn't mean we never do it again. It doesn't mean we just say, "Hey, they were drafted in the fourth round, so let's not pick any running backs after Bijan Robinson and Jahmyr Gibbs get taken." That's ludicrous.

Keeping Allen for another year was not the correct move, as far as I'm concerned, and others see it this way, so it's not unanimous. This goes against what Bill Walsh, Andy Reid, and other great coaches have done while maintaining championship rosters. "Get rid of a player a year early before keeping him a year too late," is how it goes. This is why Andy Reid wins a Super Bowl the season after trading away Tyreek Hill, who was three years younger than Allen is now.

Telesco could have saved $14.8 million in cap space by cutting Allen or $16 million by trading him this offseason. Instead he chose to restructure Allen's deal so his cap hit will be over $34 million in 2024, which means he won't be on the team next season and will result in a dead cap hit of over $11.5 million. So we're going through all of this trouble to keep a 31-year-old receiver we've won two playoff games with for only one more year, while drafting a receiver in the first round when we have Mike Williams (another first-round pick) and Joshua Palmer, who caught 72 passes last season. This is after the Chiefs won a Super Bowl with Juju Smith-Schuster on a cheap contract replacing Tyreek Hill.

The money saved from cutting or trading Allen could have gone elsewhere, and I think Herbert, being as great as he is, would have been just fine with Quentin Johnston, Mike Williams, and Joshua Palmer as his top three receivers. We may even see him doing just that, since it won't be a shock if Allen gets injured.

You don't see it that way? Good for you. That's your right. But I am in fact looking at objectively, which you cannot deny.
            Andy Reed traded Hill because they couldn't afford him, or didn't want to pay his demands. They tried, he said no. Had nothing to do with his age.

Keenan balled out when he came back. Just a fact, and the offense is better with him. Don't agree the right move was to let him go.

Now next year with their restructure of his contract, they may not have a choice. That's different because he will play well again this year.
            May lose both Keenan and MW after this season for that reason. Til then we can enjoy a very good WR group this season..

Comment

• DerwinBosa
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Andy Reed traded Hill because they couldn't afford him, or didn't want to pay his demands. They tried, he said no. Had nothing to do with his age.

Keenan balled out when he came back. Just a fact, and the offense is better with him. Don't agree the right move was to let him go.

Now next year with their restructure of his contract, they may not have a choice. That's different because he will play well again this year.
              May lose both Keenan and MW after this season for that reason. Til then we can enjoy a very good WR group this season..
              Reid has a history of getting rid of players "a year early." But that's not the point I was making with Tyreek. Keenan's 31 and Telesco restructured his deal because he didn't want to lose him. Reid was willing to move on from Tyreek when he still had about three years left of his prime.

Reid knows he doesn't need a receiver who's better than Keenan Allen to win a Super Bowl. Hill still had a year on his contract and wanted an extension that would make him the highest-paid receiver in the NFL. Reid and Brett Veach could have done that, but chose not to. They chose to spend the money elsewhere instead (see below).

"I think the market kind of guides the delays or the efficiency of how things go," Veach said. "I think once the receiver deals started coming in, you knew it’d be a little tricky. When we looked at this offseason, on our agenda was to add talent to the defensive side – whether it be on the defensive line or in the secondary – and take care of Tyreek. And it became obvious as free agency started that it was going to be tough to do both. You’re faced with a decision, do you dip into the older, veteran pass rush market, and if you do that, how are you going to pay Tyreek and then how does Tyreek feel about that? If you do the Tyreek thing then you’re limited in regard to your resources being able to be spent on defense. Plus, the future, with that type of deal, would be impacted a great deal. So, when we took a step back and we figured ‘how are we going to get better on both sides?’ and that’s why we decided it was best for us and best for Tyreek getting that contract. So, it was kind of a win-win in that situation."

Telesco probably would have given Tyreek the highest-paid contract for a receiver and ignored his other needs, as well as jeopardize the future. That's basically what he did by restructuring Keenan's contract instead of releasing or trading him.

https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/news/m...8390306_lowres

Comment

• Tol
                From Accounting
                • Mar 2019
                • Carlsbad
                • Send PM

The Chargers earned an A- from PFF for their draft:

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Reid has a history of getting rid of players "a year early." But that's not the point I was making with Tyreek. Keenan's 31 and Telesco restructured his deal because he didn't want to lose him. Reid was willing to move on from Tyreek when he still had about three years left of his prime.

Reid knows he doesn't need a receiver who's better than Keenan Allen to win a Super Bowl. Hill still had a year on his contract and wanted an extension that would make him the highest-paid receiver in the NFL. Reid and Brett Veach could have done that, but chose not to. They chose to spend the money elsewhere instead (see below).

"I think the market kind of guides the delays or the efficiency of how things go," Veach said. "I think once the receiver deals started coming in, you knew it’d be a little tricky. When we looked at this offseason, on our agenda was to add talent to the defensive side – whether it be on the defensive line or in the secondary – and take care of Tyreek. And it became obvious as free agency started that it was going to be tough to do both. You’re faced with a decision, do you dip into the older, veteran pass rush market, and if you do that, how are you going to pay Tyreek and then how does Tyreek feel about that? If you do the Tyreek thing then you’re limited in regard to your resources being able to be spent on defense. Plus, the future, with that type of deal, would be impacted a great deal. So, when we took a step back and we figured ‘how are we going to get better on both sides?’ and that’s why we decided it was best for us and best for Tyreek getting that contract. So, it was kind of a win-win in that situation."

Telesco probably would have given Tyreek the highest-paid contract for a receiver and ignored his other needs, as well as jeopardize the future. That's basically what he did by restructuring Keenan's contract instead of releasing or trading him.

https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/news/m...8390306_lowres
                  There ya go. They couldn't afford him and fixing the defense as well.
                  Again, nothing to do with his age or getting rid of a player a year early. It came down to money.
                  Mahomes also has Kelce who is his #1 reciever. We don't have a TE close to that and Keenan is Herberts #1. And he turned 31 five days ago. Kelce is 33. Gonna be 34 in Oct.
                  Keenan has plenty of production left.

Still don't agree releasing Keenan was the right move.

Comment

• SAY OW 55
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2023
                    • Send PM

Late to the party. Who said anything about releasing Kennan Allen?

Comment

• captaind
                      Cook This Pork Chops
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Mars
                      • Ball Holder
                      • Send PM

3 picks from a team that WAS IN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME..... Meaning there were some quality players on that team or they wouldn't have been there. *facepalm*
                      Second place is the first loser. This is why you fail, Luke.

Our TE's don't suck. They just don't have an All Pro. It didn't turn out that way waaaaah.
                      Your complacency with mediocrity is so Chargery.

You will see a RB and TE in next years draft hope you hang on that long.
                      JUST WAIT TIL NEXT YEAR! OK, Charlie Brown.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post

I'm not waiting. We're getting to the SB by Moore Air.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Utah
                          • Midnight Toker
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post

Wow maybe get back on your meds? You seem a little high strung for May 4th in the offseason.

Comment

Working...
                          X