• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

Here's what some scouts and executives said about the wide receivers and tight ends in a Bob McGinn article for Go Long.

Coming off a 55-reception, 11-touchdown season at Texas, Mitchell did everything at the combine other than the short shuttle, the 3-cone and the bench press. And, after his blazing 40 of 4.35 and exceptional distances in the jumps, his decision to work at the combine appeared to be paying off.

Then Mitchell, wearing the WO19 jersey, started running the various routes in line with other wide receivers. His performance was insufficient, to say the least.

“He blew that 40 out, which didn’t surprise me,” one veteran scout said. “But then his position workout might have been the worst I’ve seen by a top receiver. He was falling over. He dropped balls. He had to keep redoing. It seemed as if he didn’t know how to run routes. He just seemed out of it.

“Generally, I don’t get alarmed by a combine. That was alarming.”

Based on television coverage, Mitchell staggered and fell during the gauntlet, dropped the first two slants, dropped an out and either messed up the route or failed to make the catch on his next three attempts. His performance was adequate after that.

“He was very linear, very straight line,” another scout said watching Mitchell at the combine. “Which surprised me, because in my limited exposure, for a fast guy, I thought he could actually bend and get in and out of his cuts.

“After running fast, the position stuff didn’t match. It wasn’t terrible. It wasn’t fatal. But it definitely raised some alerts with me. He didn’t have a great combine.”

Mitchell stood on his combine numbers and did position drills March 21 at Texas pro day, leaving the bench press and shuttles void.

Those 15 executives plus another were asked to rank the wide receivers on a 1-2-3-4-5 basis. A first-place vote was worth 5 points, a second-place vote was worth 4 and so on.

Harrison, with 11 firsts, led with 72 points. Following, in order, were Malik Nabers (65, four), Rome Odunze (49, one), Brian Thomas (13), Xavier Worthy (12), Keon Coleman (eight), Mitchell (eight), Xavier Legette (seven), Ladd McConkey (three), Ja’Lynn Polk (two) and Roman Wilson (one).

With 15 voters at tight end voting on a 1-2-3-4 basis, the results were: Bowers (58, 14 firsts), Ja’Tavion Sanders (26), Ben Sinnott (20, one), Theo Johnson (17), Cade Stover (10), Jared Wiley (nine), Erick All (four), Tip Reiman (three), Tanner McLachlan (two) and Johnny Wilson (one).

1. MARVIN HARRISON, Ohio State (6-3, 209, no 40, Round 1): Fourth in the Heisman trophy voting as a third-year junior in 2023. “If he catches it on the run he shows unreal top-end speed,” one scout said. “If he would have (worked) at the combine he wouldn’t have won the 40 but if they had run the 100 he’d be at the top. When he catches those shallow drags you see him outrun angles and people. What you don’t see, if he’s running a curl, a comebacker or a dig and he’s not already in full-speed stride, is the ruggedness, the passion. He has the ability to be a good run-after-catch guy who, to me, was playing his last year of college football protecting himself.” Backed up in 2021 before starring in 2022-’23. “I’m going to say he’s the No. 1 player in the draft,” a second scout said. “His dad (Marvin) was a quickness-change of direction type with very skilled hands. Marvin Jr. is bigger, more of a jump-ball guy. Makes plays in the red zone and out near the sideline. He makes the field about 57, 58 yards wide (rather than 53 1/3) because he can extend for the ball on the sideline. He’s very polished. Some will argue that he’s not even the best receiver, that Nabers is. Over the next 10, 12, 15 years I think he’ll be the top guy.” Finished with 155 receptions for 2,613 yards (16.9) and 31 touchdowns. “I kind of liken him to Larry Fitzgerald,” a third scout said. “You didn’t see a ton of run after the catch with Larry Fitzgerald coming out (in 2004) but he did it in the NFL. Harrison’s going to be a great NFL player just like Larry Fitzgerald was. Calvin (Johnson) is much more gifted.” From Philadelphia.​

2. MALIK NABERS, Louisiana State (6-0, 199, 4.44, 1): Third-year junior. “He’s that all-around, well-polished, freakishly athletic individual,” said one scout. “His traits just jump off the tape at you.” His pro day workout included a 42-inch vertical jump and 10-9 broad jump. “I absolutely love watching Malik Nabers,” a second scout said. “He’s not your typical size for an ‘X’ but he has the speed, the separation, routes and hands. Where he separates himself is run after catch. That’s what makes him such an exciting player. CeeDee Lamb is a little bit bigger; Nabers is more sudden and (has) better top-end speed.” A third scout graded him on a par with Justin Jefferson, another LSU product. “He’s powerful, he’s explosive and he can win at every level of route running, which makes him special as a high-floor player,” a fourth scout said. “He can run after the catch. He can run intermediate routes. He can track the deep ball.” Started 30 of 38 games. Finished with 189 catches for 3,003 (15.9) and 21 TDs. “He’s not Harrison,” a fifth scout said. “If you see that just ignore it. He’s more of the D.J. Moore kind of player. Thick running back build. He’s a good player, a really good player. I don’t think he has elite ball skills.” From Youngsville, La. “He is what he is right now,” said a sixth scout. “He’s topped out. Against the Alabama corners his production all came against zone coverage over the middle. When he was manned up he struggled. But he has straight dog in him once he catches the ball.”​

3. ROME ODUNZE, Washington (6-3, 220, 4.44, 1): “He’s a better route-running A.J. Brown from Philly,” one scout said. “He’s going to be a good, strong, built-to-last player.” Redshirted in 2020 before making 29 starts from 2021-’23. “I enjoyed watching his progression over the years,” a second scout said. “He’s very polished but he’s (also) a force as a blocker. He plays well without the ball, so to speak, because of splits, assignments, running routes when maybe the ball’s going in another direction. He’s really come on and gotten better and better. He’s going to be a very solid, solid player in the NFL. He’s not as flashy as the first two but he’s got a flair … some pizazz.” His totals for receptions, yards and TD catches increased each year. “He’s a great kid,” said a third scout. “It would not surprise me if Odunze ended up being the best of the class. What’s crazy is he had production and there were three receivers (at Washington) that are getting drafted.” Finished with 214 receptions for 3,272 (15.3) and 24 TDs. “Size, speed, great makeup football and person,” said a fourth scout. “Competitive, tough, all about football. Wants to achieve. Good hands. This guy’s a good football player. He’s faster (than Davante Adams). He only ran 4.56.” Vertical jump of 39, broad jump of 10-4. “He’s good, but I have some issues with his quickness and his ability to separate,” said a fifth scout. “He’s strong, but his lack of explosiveness really bothered me. I think he’ll be a solid pro. Nothing special.” From Las Vegas. “He’s got rare ball skills that you won’t miss on,” a sixth scout said. “But I have a feeling he’s going to end up being like a good No. 2 receiver (as opposed to) a dominant ‘X’ true No. 1.”​

4. XAVIER WORTHY, Texas (5-11, 169, 4.23, 1-2): His hand-held average time of 4.23 was one of the fastest recorded at the combine. “Real skinny, real weak but really fast,” one scout said. “Not the toughest guy, and I don’t like his size.” A third-year junior who started all 39 games of his career. “He reminded me of John Ross out of Washington the way he could separate and pull away,” a second scout said. “He also reminded me of Will Fuller. Hands are inconsistent, but there’s no question this guy will come in and immediately provide some explosive plays for an NFL offense. I saw him as a starting slot. Coming out of college, Tyreek Hill wasn’t the guy we all know as one of the best receivers. The difference between Worthy and Tyreek Hill would be, yes, they’re both fast, but Tyreek Hill is able to creatively use his speed where Worthy is just, ‘I’m faster than you. I know it. And I’m just going to run past you.’ There’s still a lot to develop in his route running.” Caught 197 passes for 2,755 (14.0) and 26 TDs. “Love him,” said a third scout. “With short guys that aren’t very heavy, it’s all about their core strength and power. Slight and light, but he’s wiry strong. He is tough and has strength. This is what will allow him to be an outstanding player. He is already an elite punt returner. He has so much route upside. He wasn’t some one-year wonder at the combine. This dude’s been crushing it for three years at Texas. The first two years the quarterback play was atrocious.” His vertical jump was 41, his broad jump was 10-11. “Immediately you have so much hidden production because every single defensive coordinator in the NFL is scared of one thing: a guy getting behind the defense,” the third scout continued. “If Worthy’s on the field you’re backing the f--k up and it’s a Tyreek Hillfest opening up the middle of the field all day long. He’s a true “Z’ that can run by anybody in the NFL. I’d put him behind Waddle coming out but ahead of Marquise Brown.” From Fresno, Calif.​

5. BRIAN THOMAS, Louisiana State (6-3, 209, 4.36, 1-2): Third-year junior. “He’s completely different than Nabers,” one scout said. “This guy is long, tall, vertical. He can run now. Reminded me a little of (Plaxico) Burress. That movement. Not a silky-smooth athlete but can change directions and get out of (breaks). Has size, length and strength running routes. He can fly. The question on him is drops.” Started 27 of 38 games in the Tigers’ famous position. “It’s crazy how LSU continues to reload and have dynamic 1-2 punches,” said a second scout. “Whether it’s Odell (Beckham) and Jarvis (Landry) or Ja’Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson. I honestly don’t know who’s going to be a better pro. I gave Nabers a higher grade but they’ll both be extremely good receivers for a long time.” Finished with 127 receptions for 1,897 (14.9) and 24 TDs, including an FBS-leading 17 in 2023. “He’s better than (Jaxon) Smith-Njigba but he plays with no urgency,” a third scout said. “I recognize the talent. He’s got way more ability to play on the outside than Smith-Njigba. Brian Thomas has much more ability to be a true No. 1 “X’ but I honestly can’t stand the way he plays. I just do not like his disposition. He’s the classic he’s running and the first-down marker is three yards away from him and he steps out of bounds a yard short. I don’t know if I’d call him (timid) inside but he’s definitely not rugged. If someone has him ranked way higher than me, I get it. But most of the guys in the top-10 (at wideout) are high-level competitors. I would say he is not.” From Walker, La.​

6. KEON COLEMAN, Florida State (6-3, 213, 4.59, 1-2): Played basketball in addition to football at Michigan State as a true freshman in 2021 (five games, two points) before deciding to give up basketball after his breakthrough season as a sophomore on the gridiron. Then he transferred to Florida State, leading the team in receiving last season, before declaring for the draft. “Great body control, unbelievable hands, great understanding of defenses, loves the game of football,” said one scout. “Receivers that ran slow include Keenan Allen, Cooper Kupp, Allen Robinson, Davante Adams. He’s got as good if not better body control than those guys do. He just goes up and gets it. This guy’s so talented as an athlete he could have gone to Kansas and played basketball.” His 40 time disappointed some scouts. “I just don’t see anything there,” a second scout said. “Big guy but doesn’t have any quickness, explosion or speed. Doesn’t separate well. One-gear guy. They try to throw those slip screens to him and he doesn’t have much run after the catch. Just a No. 3 type guy.” Finished with 115 receptions for 1,506 (13.1) and 19 TDs. “If you can’t find that true ‘Z’ you can go with a big ‘Z’ that might not be speed-speed but can always be open downfield and win jump balls,” a third scout said. “That’s a Keon Coleman-type player or Tee Higgins.” From Opelousas, La. “Everybody’s backed off Coleman because of the 40 time,” said a fourth scout. “We knew he wasn’t going to run good in the 40. On Labor Day night Keon Coleman might have been the best player on the field against LSU. Then he runs one 40 and he’s gotten just destroyed. He had three touchdowns that night and looked uncoverable. His game is elevated. I’m not going to say he’s going to be Anquan Boldin but it’ll be a similar experience.”​

7. ADONAI MITCHELL, Texas (6-2, 207, 4.35, 1-2): Started 12 games for Georgia as a true freshman in 2021 and then missed nine games in ’22 with an ankle injury. “He’s a spectacular talent,” one scout said. “He’s got Garrett Wilsonesque catch radius, athletic ability, body control. But he’s almost uncoachable. Before you even get to the diabetic part, he’s kind of going to do it his way. He’s a little bit of a wild horse. You’ve got to see if you can harness him in. Then, once you do that, he doesn’t address the diabetic stuff in a mature way. He’s very much a boom-or-bust type guy.” Has been diagnosed as Type 1 diabetic. “You’re going to have to assign somebody to be next to him for his first few years because his issues are all about his diabetes and his blood sugar,” said a second scout. “When his blood sugar’s off, he’s rude, he’s abrasive, he doesn’t pay attention in meetings. It’s why you get really, really shitty character reports coming out of Georgia and Texas. But when his stuff is normal, and they get him normal by lunch time, he’s out at practice high energy, best practice player, loves football … He doesn’t run routes traditionally like most receivers would. He plants off the wrong foot all the time. (But) he learns football really well and is literally just scratching the surface. This kid has unlimited potential.” Played one season for the Longhorns. In 35 collegiate games he caught 93 passes for 1,405 (15.1) and 18 TDs. A third scout said diabetes was a major concern. “You’ve got to look out for it and he’s got to take care of himself,” he said. “Every diabetic does. There’s some questions but at the end of the day he’s a good player that hasn’t done anything overly malicious. He’s probably just immature.” His vertical jump was 39 ½; his broad jump of 11-4 led the wide receivers. From Missouri City, Texas.​

8. XAVIER LEGETTE, South Carolina (6-1, 222, 4.39, 2): His hard-running style reminded one scout of Sterling Sharpe, the Gamecocks’ greatest wideout. “He kind of does,” one scout said. “He’s as athletically gifted as any guy his size. He’s probably too big to be a true punt returner. He’s come out of nowhere. He’s had multiple coaches over his career, too, which has probably slowed him down.” Had just 42 receptions from 2019-’22 despite making 20 starts. The light went on in 2023 and he was chosen All-Southeastern Conference second team. “What he did on tape this year probably would have got him in the first round if he had done it more than once,” said a second scout. “You can be unemployed taking risks on one-year wonders. That always concerns me. This year, he looks like DK Metcalf. Is he DK Metcalf? No, but there’s a lot there where someone’s going to take him in the second round.” Led wideouts on the bench press with 24 reps. “He’s got some intelligence issues that might be a concern,” said a third scout. “But he’s big, physical, can run.” Finished with 113 receptions for 1,678 (14.8) and 12 TDs. “He is very powerful in the lower half,” said a fourth scout. “He’s like a better Laviska Shenault. He’s almost like a running back in a way. It took four years to kind of get him up to speed. You can put a tremendous highlight tape on him. The big question will be, ‘OK, how long’s it going to take?’ Is he a one-spot wideout? Probably yes his rookie year. If it took four years in college to get to that level, how long is it going to take in the NFL?” From Mullins, S.C.​

1. BROCK BOWERS, Georgia (6-3, 241, no 40, 1): Third-year junior. “Thing that’s interesting about him is this is not a Rob Gronkowski (6-6, 260, 4.67), Travis Kelce (6-5, 257, 4.63) body,” said one scout. “This is almost like a fullback body. If you draft him and play him just as a pure tight end, you’ll be disappointed. He’s not going to go hammer those 260-pound defensive end and outside backers in the run game. And it’s not like he’s going to go out-jump some of these defensive backs for the ball. He really didn’t make a ton of plays like that. Most of his plays are run after catch. He’s excellent with the ball in his hand. That whole offense ran through Bowers. Outside, inside, motion, slot, backfield. They schemed him up and they’d get the ball to him quickly in the flat. He’d turn up, break the tackle and go for 18 more yards. (Fit) will be a real key to his success.” A second scout equated Bowers’ work after the catch to Harrison’s. “If he catches it on the run, he’s a mother------,” he said. “If the dude from Iowa (Sam LaPorta) can do what he did this year there’s no reason Brock can’t do that or even more. Now is that worth a top-10 pick? He might end up falling because he’s not a three-down player. You’ve got to limit his reps and use him as a true ‘U.’ Keep him on the back side to come across in motion and whack guys. He’s not a point-of-attack player. He’s not as athletic as (Kyle) Pitts getting in and out of breaks. He doesn’t have that basketball uniqueness. But he’s got length (32 ¾-inch arms) and rare ball skills.” Finished with 175 catches for 2,538 (14.5) and 26 TDs. “He’s just a quiet guy,” a third scout said. “Keeps to himself. Does the right thing. Always on time.” From Napa, Calif.​

2. JA’TAVION SANDERS, Texas (6-4, 250, 4.70, 2-3): Third-year junior, two-year starter. “He’s my No. 1 guy,” one scout said. “Somewhat undersized but has a really good frame. Good athlete, knows how to play. Good route runner, has really good hands. As a blocker, he will get on you. He’s better on the edges and in space. Still a bit raw so he has upside.” Highly recruited out of Denton, Texas. “Better receiver than blocker,” said a second scout. “I think he’s a guy that has just scratched his potential. First part of the year he wasn’t that much of a factor in that offense but as the year progressed he became more of a factor. I was really shocked he wouldn’t come back because they have a chance to win the national championship (in 2024).” Ran a disappointing 40 and then, at pro day, posted lows among the top 10 tight ends in the vertical jump (30), the broad jump (9-6) and the bench press (eight reps). “Overrated,” a third scout said. “He’s a horseshit blocker and has no special-teams value. Now he’s OK as a receiver.” Finished with 99 receptions for 1,295 (13.1) and seven TDs.

3. BEN SINNOTT, Kansas State (6-4, 250, 4.63, 2-3): Outgrowing hockey after more than 10 years of playing, he turned his focus to football and eventually walked on at Kansas State as an undersized fullback. “This guy is like (George) Kittle, not Bowers,” one scout said. “His combine numbers were outstanding. He’s a really good athlete. They line him up all over. He can run routes. He’s quick, he’s fast, he gets his head to the ball quick and he’s strong catching it. He’s a tough dude after the catch. They gotta gang-tackle the guy to get him down. As a blocker, he’s aggressive. He had a play against Texas where he came in and dug that (Byron) Murphy guy out and smashed him. There was just rare blocking stuff. He didn’t do it every play but he had flashes.” Led tight ends in the vertical jump (40), the broad jump (10-6) and the 3-cone (6.82). “He’ll end up being like the guy at San Francisco,” a second scout said referring to Kyle Juszczyk. “A complete tight end. He’d be excellent at fullback because he’s a terrific space blocker. Like his mentality.” Caught 82 passes for 1,138 (13.9) and 10 TDs. “He’s a good college player,” a third scout said. “I struggle with his lack of explosiveness. He ran a 4.65 and tested really well but I didn’t see an explosive player. He’s not necessarily a great blocker and I didn’t see the route mismatch guy. He has really good hands. He does have some run after the catch. He’s not a dynamic twitch, speed-to-separate type. At our level I don’t think he’ll be a consistent winner against man (coverage). He’s not going to stretch the field vertically.” From Waterloo, Iowa.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
      Oline-Tip of the Spear...
      • Feb 2019
      • McLean Illinois
      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
      Western Carolina wide receiver David White, Jr. is an interesting late-round prospect. I just read an article on him. He seems like the Harbaugh type.

He took care of his father, who was dying with lung cancer, in 2021. He came back and impressed over the last two seasons.

Here are some highlights from the article on Go Long, which you must subscribe to:

The hardest part about training for the 2024 NFL Draft has nothing to do how many iron plates David White Jr. slides onto a barbell. Or cone drills. Or wind sprints. Nothing physical whatsoever. Worse than any pain this wide receiver could ever put himself through was the ghastly sight of fellow draft hopefuls refusing to do exactly that.

Thinking back to those training sessions in Boca Raton, Fla., White looks repulsed.

Back at Western Carolina, he was a captain. It was his duty to rip into freshmen for loafing. He served as the role model. Here? “I can’t hold everybody’s hand,” says White, who admits he bit his tongue for only so long. As peers waltzed into the gym late and half-assed their way through workouts, he started to speak up.

“Why get this close and then act like you just made it?” says White, via Zoom. “Why get this close and give 60 percent? Ugh! It pisses me off! I promise you it pisses me off. I see dudes roll in late and I tell them, ‘Bro, if you’re getting drafted, you’re getting cut.’ I tell him straight up, ‘If you’re not a first- or second- rounder, you’re out the door. You’re replaceable.’”

Big schools. Small schools. All positions. Laziness does not discriminate.

He shakes his head.

“It pisses me off. I just don’t understand it. Why are you here?”

He admits a few of those prospects probably deemed him “insane,” but knows his heart is in the right place. That’s why White stressed the need to be intentional, to genuinely attack the day. David White Jr., late-round NFL prospect, honestly sounds more like Steve Prefontaine, 70s track icon, as he eloquently articulates the need for everyone in life to maximize every ounce of their potential. He doesn’t want to have friends who do the minimum in life — “Why live that way? Why just get by?” — because not pushing your body to its absolute limits sacrifices the gift within.

Says White: “I don’t like seeing people take the easy route. Let’s get it the tough way.”

That’s certainly the road White took to the NFL’s doorstep, from Division-II Valdosta State to… a harrowing 2021 back home in Jacksonville, Fla., to… those Western Carolina Catamounts of the Southern Conference. Not exactly Ohio State or LSU or Washington in what’s been universally blessed as an all-time class of wide receivers. Perhaps one percent of readers heard grumblings of this small-school wideout dusting corners during the week of East-West Shrine Game. For the other 99 percent reading, White describes his game.

When White got to campus that January, he weighed only 175 pounds. Working out at the local gym isn’t the same as locking into a D-I lifting program. He was able to add 25 pounds to his frame and Bell believes he can easily get up to 220-225 pounds in the pros.

Year 1 was fine. Into Year 2, Bell challenged White. Western Carolina had a legit change to win and he wanted the wide receiver to be the team’s “voice” because Bell knew everybody respected him. His message was blunt: “You’ve got to change your mentality. You’ve got to become the leader of the team. You’ve got to hold people accountable.”

Words White took to heart as a captain. Before practice, he huddled up the entire team. On gameday, his voice set the tone. Most importantly, he applied such a hard-edgedattitude to his own position and it molded his game.

In practice, he started winning every 50-50 ball. Dominated.

“Him becoming a leader his senior year,” Bell explains, “took his mental space to a different level. It made him become really just a dog.”

He’s a big receiver who moves like a small receiver. The Catamounts played White inside due to necessity and his freaky ability to change direction. All receivers stretching to 6 foot 2, however, should look down at puny cornerbacks as if they have no business breathing the same oxygen. Arrogance is an advantage.

White started viewing himself as the best player on the field who could not be stopped.
      “And I think that’s what made him such a great NFL prospect,” Bell says. “He’s long, he’s explosive. He can get out of routes, but then you start adding the fact that he’s tough. He’s a great blocker. He does the little things right. He’s physical when he’s catching it.

“Some receivers want to be pretty. They’re prima donnas. He became that nasty, that get-it-out-the-mud type of kid. … I’ve never seen a kid really change that much, where he went from this quiet, hardworking kid to this guy who, man, you can just feel the presence when he talks. You can feel that energy around him and that competitiveness. That drivethat he has, everybody fed off of it.”

The Catamounts finished 7-4, and White’s final numbers were modest: 34 receptions for 519 yards and six touchdowns. The more scouts studied his film, the more they surely realized he was open… every game. Biting his tongue, White politely notes that he could not throw the ball and run the route himself. Bell says White was “wide-ass open” — constantly — and easily should’ve posted 100+ yards in four or five games, but that the team’s sophomore quarterback was best friends with the wide receiver on the other side of the field and force-fed him the ball. White didn’t complain.

The word that comes to the coach’s mind on three different occasions this conversation? “Mature.” They’ve known each other for a half-decade now.

Highlight reels are in short supply on YouTube, but there is one telling video. Former Pro Bowl safety Corey Chavous, the brains behind “Draft Nasty,” isn’t too concerned about those so-so numbers. He watched White closely all Shrine Week and cited the receiver’s true game speed. “He’s a player who has ‘right-now acceleration’ off the ball,” Chavous explained. “No wasted steps. No false steps in terms of his movement.” That week did wonders for White’s belief and forced NFL scouts to pay attention.
      Nice, interesting find. Good work.
      The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Icebolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2023
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

So, what this article is suggesting, that we may be as good as most GM's at drafting! Also, our mocks may be better than Kiper's ( if we do a little research ).
        The part that is difficult about mock's, as this article points out, what a team should do and actually does affects the mocks.
        I remember when the "Brain Dr's" said to stay away from Leaf at all possible cost. Teams are, apparently, still mired in inefficiency.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Nice, interesting find. Good work.
          Underwhelming play was followed by a great Shrine Bowl Week.
          @ #223 ?
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post
            The latest mock from The Atletic

1 (11). JC Latham, OT/G, Alabama
            2 (35). Kris Jenkins, DT, Michigan
            2 (37). Keon Coleman, WR, Florida State
            3 (69). Blake Corum, RB, Michigan
            4 (105). Nehemiah Pritchett, CB, Auburn
            4 (110). Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State
            5 (140). Jeremiah Trotter Jr., LB, Clemson
            6 (181). Trevor Keegan, G, Michigan
            7 (225). Dwight McGlothern, CB, Arkansas
            7 (253). Michael Barrett Jr., LB, Michigan
            Not bad. Corum should not be drafted before day 3 though.

Comment

• Chargers8491
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
              Not bad. Corum should not be drafted before day 3 though.
              One of the only ways I see him going in the 3rd is if there is a run on RBs or the Chargers think there will be a run on RBs in the 3rd rnd. In other words, they don't think he will make it to the 4th rnd. 4th rnd seems to be the sweat spot for the RBs but we have seen runs of positions before in the draft.
              1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
              2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
              2b- #37 Jenkins DT
              3a- #66 Puni OT
              3b- #69 Sainristill CB
              4a- #105 Rice WR
              4b- #110 Lloyd RB
              5- #140 Green CB
              6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
                Here's what some scouts and executives said about the wide receivers and tight ends in a Bob McGinn article for Go Long.

[B]Coming off a 55-reception, 11-touchdown season at Texas, Mitchell did everything at the combine other than the short shuttle, the 3-cone and the bench press. And, after his blazing 40 of 4.35 and exceptional distances in the jumps, his decision to work at the combine appeared to be paying off.

Then Mitchell, wearing the WO19 jersey, started running the various routes in line with other wide receivers. His performance was insufficient, to say the least.

“He blew that 40 out, which didn’t surprise me,” one veteran scout said. “But then his position workout might have been the worst I’ve seen by a top receiver. He was falling over. He dropped balls. He had to keep redoing. It seemed as if he didn’t know how to run routes. He just seemed out of it.

“Generally, I don’t get alarmed by a combine. That was alarming.”

5. BRIAN THOMAS, Louisiana State (6-3, 209, 4.36, 1-2): Third-year junior. “He’s completely different than Nabers,” one scout said. “This guy is long, tall, vertical. He can run now. Reminded me a little of (Plaxico) Burress. That movement. Not a silky-smooth athlete but can change directions and get out of (breaks). Has size, length and strength running routes. He can fly. The question on him is drops.” Started 27 of 38 games in the Tigers’ famous position. “It’s crazy how LSU continues to reload and have dynamic 1-2 punches,” said a second scout. “Whether it’s Odell (Beckham) and Jarvis (Landry) or Ja’Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson. I honestly don’t know who’s going to be a better pro. I gave Nabers a higher grade but they’ll both be extremely good receivers for a long time.” Finished with 127 receptions for 1,897 (14.9) and 24 TDs, including an FBS-leading 17 in 2023. “He’s better than (Jaxon) Smith-Njigba but he plays with no urgency,” a third scout said. “I recognize the talent. He’s got way more ability to play on the outside than Smith-Njigba. Brian Thomas has much more ability to be a true No. 1 “X’ but I honestly can’t stand the way he plays. I just do not like his disposition. He’s the classic he’s running and the first-down marker is three yards away from him and he steps out of bounds a yard short. I don’t know if I’d call him (timid) inside but he’s definitely not rugged. If someone has him ranked way higher than me, I get it. But most of the guys in the top-10 (at wideout) are high-level competitors. I would say he is not.” From Walker, La.

7. ADONAI MITCHELL, Texas (6-2, 207, 4.35, 1-2): Started 12 games for Georgia as a true freshman in 2021 and then missed nine games in ’22 with an ankle injury. “He’s a spectacular talent,” one scout said. “He’s got Garrett Wilsonesque catch radius, athletic ability, body control. But he’s almost uncoachable. Before you even get to the diabetic part, he’s kind of going to do it his way. He’s a little bit of a wild horse. You’ve got to see if you can harness him in. Then, once you do that, he doesn’t address the diabetic stuff in a mature way. He’s very much a boom-or-bust type guy.” Has been diagnosed as Type 1 diabetic. “You’re going to have to assign somebody to be next to him for his first few years because his issues are all about his diabetes and his blood sugar,” said a second scout. “When his blood sugar’s off, he’s rude, he’s abrasive, he doesn’t pay attention in meetings. It’s why you get really, really shitty character reports coming out of Georgia and Texas. But when his stuff is normal, and they get him normal by lunch time, he’s out at practice high energy, best practice player, loves football … He doesn’t run routes traditionally like most receivers would. He plants off the wrong foot all the time. (But) he learns football really well and is literally just scratching the surface. This kid has unlimited potential.” Played one season for the Longhorns. In 35 collegiate games he caught 93 passes for 1,405 (15.1) and 18 TDs. A third scout said diabetes was a major concern. “You’ve got to look out for it and he’s got to take care of himself,” he said. “Every diabetic does. There’s some questions but at the end of the day he’s a good player that hasn’t done anything overly malicious. He’s probably just immature.” His vertical jump was 39 ½; his broad jump of 11-4 led the wide receivers. From Missouri City, Texas.​

Wow, some real red flags on Mitchell's route running and the diabetic issue. And Thomas...don't want another wideout with butterfingers...good intel...

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Underwhelming play was followed by a great Shrine Bowl Week.
                  @ #223 ?
                  Sure...gotta look out the 6th, 7th, and UDFAs...I am lazy bout that myself...why I always appreciate others digging up gems to check out...kill some more hours leading up to the draft!

Im still an intern...when I retire, Ill get my certification as a true draftnik...250 prospects bagged and tagged by March!
                  The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Alabama's WR Jermaine Burton is a DOG on the field...
                    unfortunately, he's one off the field too. (Swinging at a female LSU fan).
                    He's a talent to keep an eye on if he falls to the 7th imo..
                    According to the Beast, speed, seperation and my favorite, large/dependable hands.
                    Toothpick with an attitude.
                    P1. Block Destruction
                    P2. Shocking Effort
                    P3. Ball Disruption
                    P4. Obnoxious Communication

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

Chargers hosted Georgia TE Brock Bowers for a visit.

Bowers, who has also visited with the Jets and Bears, is locked in as a top-15 pick, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. Though he didn’t do any pre-draft testing, his college production profile and on-field speed and agility have intrigued a number of teams with Day One picks. It would be something of a surprise if Jim Harbaugh’s Chargers took the standout tight end with the fifth pick in the draft. The team seems to be hyper focused on building a dominant defense and a tough-nosed, run-heavy offense. The Chargers’ total lack of target competition could lead to a target-heavy season for a talent like Bowers if he lands in LA.

Comment

• Chargers8491
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Bowers, who has also visited with the Jets and Bears, is locked in as a top-15 pick, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. Though he didn’t do any pre-draft testing, his college production profile and on-field speed and agility have intrigued a number of teams with Day One picks. It would be something of a surprise if Jim Harbaugh’s Chargers took the standout tight end with the fifth pick in the draft. The team seems to be hyper focused on building a dominant defense and a tough-nosed, run-heavy offense. The Chargers’ total lack of target competition could lead to a target-heavy season for a talent like Bowers if he lands in LA.
                        I never understand why people say this. The Chargers have more than 1 draft pick to build a dominant defense and run-heavy offense.
                        1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                        2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                        2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                        3a- #66 Puni OT
                        3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                        4a- #105 Rice WR
                        4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                        5- #140 Green CB
                        6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Anna Kendrick Movie GIF by Pitch Perfect
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X