How Do We Fix the Deficiency at Receiver?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    There are some very good WRs who are going to be drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, maybe the 4th too. Chances are, and history tells us, the best WR of his deep class will be a 2nd day pick.
    I'm not taking that bet in this years draft. What you might get away saying is that you MIGHT be able to find a couple more players of equal production if lucky...No problem in adding a day 2 receiver like Burton, Rice, or walker....
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

So if we snag an awesome trade package, who’s the best X receiver after the top three? Thomas Jr.?

Comment

• Classic
        Hall Of Fame
        • Dec 2014
        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
        So if we snag an awesome trade package, who’s the best X receiver after the top three? Thomas Jr.?
        Why would we trade down just to take the 4th best WR? Id think RT/CB would be the go to pick but Thomas has a ceiling Higher than Odunze so its possible. Id go CB in a trade down and grab one of the Rice/Burton WRs with 2nd or 3rd round.

Comment

• Parcells
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

There are some very good WRs who are going to be drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, maybe the 4th too. Chances are, and history tells us, the best WR of his deep class will be a 2nd day pick.
          It’s not a matter of who is the best WR in a class. This class has two guys that probably would have been the best WR in 7 of the previous 8 drafts. And the last time there was a stud this highly ranked, it was Chase who is a top 5 WR in the league and the better than any Charger WR since Alworth. So if I’ve got a chance to get someone as good as Chase, I’m not thinking twice. I’ve heard LSU fans say Nabers is faster than Chase but not as strong. Overall, they see them as very close.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
            This class has two guys that probably would have been the best WR in 7 of the previous 8 drafts.
            Great. Can we draft them both?

And the last time there was a stud this highly ranked, it was Chase who is a top 5 WR in the league and the better than any Charger WR since Alworth.
            Even with how good Chase is, I don't know if it's established that he was the best WR in the 2021 draft. Pick #112 may have something to say about that.

I’ve heard LSU fans say Nabers is faster than Chase but not as strong. Overall, they see them as very close.
            Chase and Nabers are pretty much identical in terms of height, weight and speed.

It seems pretty certain one or both of these WR will be available when the Chargers pick at #5. Are their talent levels so high that it's a no-brainer to stay at #5 rather than trade down for more picks?

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

Why would we trade down just to take the 4th best WR? Id think RT/CB would be the go to pick but Thomas has a ceiling Higher than Odunze so its possible. Id go CB in a trade down and grab one of the Rice/Burton WRs with 2nd or 3rd round.
              Nah nah, not trading back for the next best WR, just grabbing more picks. The next best X receiver can be any round I’m sure, curious how folks have them ranked that’s all. Definitely like Rice.

Comment

• Parcells
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Great. Can we draft them both?

Even with how good Chase is, I don't know if it's established that he was the best WR in the 2021 draft. Pick #112 may have something to say about that.

Chase and Nabers are pretty much identical in terms of height, weight and speed.

It seems pretty certain one or both of these WR will be available when the Chargers pick at #5. Are their talent levels so high that it's a no-brainer to stay at #5 rather than trade down for more picks?
                Amon-Ra is a stud and deserved to be an All Pro this season. But I still think I’d rather have Chase.

For me, while I’d love to get more picks, I’m not passing on a stud generational WR who I can pair with Herbert for the next decade. As long as you’ve got Herbert throwing to a true stud, it opens up so much of the offense. I think it keeps us from facing stacked boxes. It makes it possible to get QJ in space doing what he seems to have some talent for. And at the end of tight games when we have to throw, it’s the guy that can beat double coverage or pull the coverage and leave someone else open.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Amon-Ra is a stud and deserved to be an All Pro this season. But I still think I’d rather have Chase.
                  There's only one way I like Amon-Ra over Chase, and that is availability. Chase has missed more games to injury than Amon-Ra, not a lot, but it is worth mentioning because Amon-Ra has been pretty durable in addition to being a much better WR than anyone was expecting.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Send PM

For me, while I’d love to get more picks, I’m not passing on a stud generational WR who I can pair with Herbert for the next decade. As long as you’ve got Herbert throwing to a true stud, it opens up so much of the offense.
                    I understand this, and will be ecstatic if they stay at #5 and get either Nabers or MHJ.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Mahomes had Tyreek and still has Kelce. Brady had plenty of elite receiving targets over the years: Moss, Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Edelman, Godwin, Antonio Brown, Mike Evans.

Remember what Brady did to try and recruit Brown.

Don’t get confused, an elite receiving target changes everything for a defense. As good as Keenan was, he wasn’t a game wrecking receiver that defenses had to plan around. Same for Mike Williams. Keenan was great at certain things, but I don’t think I’d ever say he had a season where he was a top 5 WR. I do think that paired with the right QB (like Herbert), that MHJ or Nabers can absolutely be a top 5 WR.
                      Bolded is not true. And how you determine who is a top 5 WR during a season is dependent on what you're basing things on. A lot of WRs around the league think well of KA. Tyreek Hill named Allen a top 5 WR when asked to give his top 5 players at the position. Tyreek Hill who everyone acknowledges how good he is.

Keenan Allen is on par with Mike Evans. Who you think is better between them is a close call. Wes Welker was very good, but he wasn't elite. Same for Edleman, Godwin, and Hernandez. Antonio Brown won when he joined the Bucs in that 2020 season, but by that point he was no longer a number 1 guy.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2022
                        • White Rock, BC Canada
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Bolded is not true. And how you determine who is a top 5 WR during a season is dependent on what you're basing things on. A lot of WRs around the league think well of KA. Tyreek Hill named Allen a top 5 WR when asked to give his top 5 players at the position. Tyreek Hill who everyone acknowledges how good he is.

Keenan Allen is on par with Mike Evans. Who you think is better between them is a close call. Wes Welker was very good, but he wasn't elite. Same for Edleman, Godwin, and Hernandez. Antonio Brown won when he joined the Bucs in that 2020 season, but by that point he was no longer a number 1 guy.
                        Keenan is on par with Evans quality wise I agree. But he does not scare defenses and rack up the TDs the way Evans has. Keenan is an elite possession receiver.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                          Charger Fan till the end
                          • Jun 2013
                          • North Carolina
                          • Send PM

I forget which video i was watching last week but it spoke about the balancing of the 5 pick for salary cap hit for 1 wr which tends to be a higher paid position than te or other roles. If we can trade back 3-6 spaces and pickup a stud TE like Bowers and another 1 or 2 and pay similar cap hit to the 1 player its got merit to building a talented team of players with better cap control. Bowers may not be a deep type threat but he would be that mismatch threat over the middle tha Allen was in a few ways. Sure id love a potential top WR (none are guaranteed to produce like Chase even though they appear to be as capable) but if i could get 2 positions of the best at their position the odds look better to me of actually hitting on a stud and maybe 2 to fill more than 1 hole. I wish we didnt have the cap issues but that has reallly been a factor in how Harb has to consider the overall picture for rebuilding. I favor a trade down but not too far and if the package is good…minnys 2 firsts id do in a heartbeat but others could also work.

Comment

Working...
                          X