Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    I'd like to see that impact extend to the really big games too. He was totally handled in NE. Not a factor at all in that game. No sacks, no QB hits.
    Go watch and time from snap to ball is out of Brady's hands in the patsies game.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• JOJAX85
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2018
      • Irmo, SC
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Go watch and time from snap to ball is out of Brady's hands in the patsies game.
      Correct

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

No CHarger player did all that well in the NE game. It is a horrible mistake to make roster decisions based on one game, for any position, let alone pass rushers. Pass rushers are always going to have games where they don't put up sacks and that includes the best of them.

The downside on Bosa is that he lacks the elite movement skills to run past OT. He is a technique guy, so there are some guys who he won't get past.

The upside is the guy is a high energy player. There is a very different energy on the D when he is playing. While some people use the idea of a TECHNIQUE pass rusher as a negative, as long as a player has the kind of movement skills Bosa does, he is always going to put up numbers. Maybe not Von Miller career year numbers, but always a decent level. And as far as the pass rush production vs elite OT, remember the speed guys struggle vs them too. THe elite guys are elite for a reason. Those guys struggle just as much as the technique guys do, maybe more.

Ultimately, we need to pay him close to top dollar, but not necessarily top dollar. Again, find our line in the sand, and set it. Sell him on the other virtues of being a CHarger. If he signs and leaves money for other guys, he will still be getting HUGE money by any reasonable standards and get the chance to play on a good team. And ask how many guys get the big money then end up playing on really shitty teams for years. We have put the pieces around him to help him excel and win a championship. We just have to find a way to follow through as the last pieces are in place .

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

All I'm saying is that Bosa still has something to prove before demanding top money, starting with staying on the field. I hope he proves it this season.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
            This is a dead thread going in circles there is no resolution the Chargers made there best offer so it is down to just three simple scenarios.

1. Gordon caves in and decides 10 mil is better than 0 mill
            2. Gordon is hard core and hold out till week 10 to then have considered a vested season, then he can become a Free Agent at the end of the season
            3. Chargers get a trade offer of value.

Option 1 & 2 has its pros and cons

From Melvin's prespective
            Pro- play week 10 and become FA at end of the year
            Con-get injured and hurts his value as FA
            Pro- plays week 10 and blows up on a way to a Super Bowl run his FA value goes up
            Con- will Melvin really want to go all out for a team in his mind that disrepected him and his value

From Charger Prespective
            Pro-Melvin gets his dumb as on the phone now and say you know what I'll take the 10 mil for 1 year
            Con-Melvin signs and play and does what Melvin does have a run of few good games and gets injured
            Con-Melvin dogs it does a Gaither
            Pro- Melvin rocks out so he can show the league he is 13 mill or greater

Option 3 seems best to me get a good offer trade Gordon and be ready to lock down key players in 2020
            There IS an Option 4: Gordon pulls an Andrew Luck special...

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Bosa's sacks/game ratio is pretty good (28.5/35). That's right up there with the leagues elite... not to mention he plays the run real well for a DE. He's our best player on defense, when healthy. If I were TT, I'd pay him top-5 dollar. TT paid Melvin Ingram $18 million/year and his sacks/game ratio is 42/93. It is interesting that Bosa/Ingram/Okung contracts all expire at the same time...

Melvin Gordon plays a position that is under-valued and under-appreciated at the moment. It's a young man's position that gets lots of wear/tear. A RB is lucky to get 7 quality years in the NFL. And they have to rely on the OL in front of them. Look how well Jame Conner did behind Steelers OL last year. Sometimes it doesn't make sense to pay a RB big money, long term.

The smart money would be to draft an OT and a DE early this next year. Move on from Okung's and Ingram's contract after 2020... sign your younger guy (Bosa) with the money you save.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                Bosa's sacks/game ratio is pretty good (28.5/35). That's right up there with the leagues elite... not to mention he plays the run real well for a DE. He's our best player on defense, when healthy. If I were TT, I'd pay him top-5 dollar. TT paid Melvin Ingram $18 million/year and his sacks/game ratio is 42/93. It is interesting that Bosa/Ingram/Okung contracts all expire at the same time...

Melvin Gordon plays a position that is under-valued and under-appreciated at the moment. It's a young man's position that gets lots of wear/tear. A RB is lucky to get 7 quality years in the NFL. And they have to rely on the OL in front of them. Look how well Jame Conner did behind Steelers OL last year. Sometimes it doesn't make sense to pay a RB big money, long term.

The smart money would be to draft an OT and a DE early this next year. Move on from Okung's and Ingram's contract after 2020... sign your younger guy (Bosa) with the money you save.
                I'll agree with this, image.pngBosa chooses to sign with us. He may not want top 5 $$$. He may want top 3, 2 or 1 $$$...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Agree he is up there, bout i would bet a box of donuts there is no way he'll sign for top 5 money. He'll want more than whatever the last highest was.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                    All I'm saying is that Bosa still has something to prove before demanding top money, starting with staying on the field. I hope he proves it this season.
                    This.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Agree he is up there, bout i would bet a box of donuts there is no way he'll sign for top 5 money. He'll want more than whatever the last highest was.
                      And if you sign him for #1 money... 3 years down the line he'll seem like a bargain as others behind him will have surpassed in contract #'s. JJ Watt was 2nd in sacks last year, yet he's the 10th highest paid pass rusher. Of course, the best scenario is to catch a great pass rusher on their rookie contract (Chris Jones, Myles Garrett, TJ Watt). But that takes commitment to drafting pass rushers on a regular basis.

Comment

• JOJAX85
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Irmo, SC
                        • Send PM

May be some wishful thinking, but Gordon is rocking his Chargers shirt on his latest IG post. Sign that $10M & let's go get that damn ring!

Comment

• Panamamike
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post
                          May be some wishful thinking, but Gordon is rocking his Chargers shirt on his latest IG post. Sign that $10M & let's go get that damn ring!
                          I'd rather he play out tue string and leave as a FA to be honest. The thought of 10MM for a rb makes me ill.

Comment

Working...
                          X