• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Now that's the first team that makes sense.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=774&v=lxjajYFY6nk
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post

How so? They're one of the deeper teams at RB.
      They could've used a healthy MG against us in the playoffs. They may be deep, but they don't have a MG.

Comment

• Caslon
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

Jerry Jones has deep pockets and not a lot of time left on this earth and wants another SB before he retires to the sky. The Spanos' on the other hand are grooming 2 more generations of family members to be part of the "organization."

This explains both Ezekiel's signing by Jerry and the lack of by the Chargers. Also, MG isn't Ezekiel by a long shot, tho MG has now put himself at that top tier. I knew Jerry would get Ezekiel signed. I knew the Chargers would balk at MG trying to raise the tier. Maybe MG deserves to be hung out to dry (Chargers asking price).

Sometimes I hate the Spanos', other times I hate MG. If MG could stay healthy, and lead the team close or at the SB, ticket sales next year at the new stadium might make up for the $1 to $2 million that is keeping the two sides apart, If MG and his ego could feel less disrespected, that might help too.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I was hearing 4 years and at $3m per that's $12m assuming it goes the length of the deal. In the NFL that's not a lot of coin (or in any pro sports). Money doesn't mean the roster is better. It's about making the right choices. We're on a short window right now. We need the best roster right now. The Chargers have blown lots of money on players that contributed a lot less.
          None of us know the exact terms being offered MG III.

In Zeke's case, and in Joey Bosa's case for that matter, it ended up that very specific terms were negotiated and compromised upon.

There is a lot of white noise.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Caslon
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

None of us know the exact terms being offered MG III.

In Zeke's case, and in Joey Bosa's case for that matter, it ended up that very specific terms were negotiated and compromised upon.

There is a lot of white noise.
            MG . "I stay healthy and do my thing and you pay me big bucks like Jerry did and you got yourself one potential SB team for the new stadium".
            Jerry already has a new state of the art stadium. Spanos' don't, but soon will. It's like...no wonder the Cowboys and Jerry Jones are Americas' team.
            Their GM thinks big. Kudos to Jerry and all your wealth and your limited time with us.

The Spanos' meanwhile have long term plans. Nepotism is one of them.
            Last edited by Caslon; 09-05-2019, 02:29 AM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

MG . "I stay healthy and do my thing and you pay me big bucks like Jerry did and you got yourself one potential SB team for the new stadium".
              Jerry already has one.
              Sounds good !
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post

I have complete understanding of how the contracts are written. :sigh:

However, why is it that a bunch of y'all shit your pants when a player that outplayed his deal and wants more money? Yet the overwhelming feeling when a guy who might not reach his expectations, is "fuck that bust, cut him"?
                Sorry, MGIII has not outplayed his deal. He has had one very good year, one good year, one ok year, and one terrible year. 1 yr over 4.0 ypc and has missed 1/4 of 3 seasons. Do we get a refund on yr 1 and part of that bonus for his underperformance? You are talking like he was playing for 3 rd round money.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Jerry Jones has deep pockets and not a lot of time left on this earth and wants another SB before he retires to the sky. The Spanos' on the other hand are grooming 2 more generations of family members to be part of the "organization."

This explains both Ezekiel's signing by Jerry and the lack of by the Chargers. Also, MG isn't Ezekiel by a long shot, tho MG has now put himself at that top tier. I knew Jerry would get Ezekiel signed. I knew the Chargers would balk at MG trying to raise the tier. Maybe MG deserves to be hung out to dry (Chargers asking price).

Sometimes I hate the Spanos', other times I hate MG. If MG could stay healthy, and lead the team close or at the SB, ticket sales next year at the new stadium might make up for the $1 to $2 million that is keeping the two sides apart, If MG and his ego could feel less disrespected, that might help too.
                  Naw, thats not it. the Chargers spend up to the team cap every year. their player salary payroll is always right up there near the max allowed. They are so consistently pressed up against the cap that there is an annual lament on this and every other forum board every spring wishing they had the cap space (money) to do something significant in FA. Again this year, they did't have cap space to really go after a top tier DT or OT.

In fact, i stare at the roster and I read the cap number, and i always wonder WTF - why are they always against the cap when they seemingly don't pay any huge money deals. I read teams with 50, 60, 70M in space and wonder how the heck do they get that, how does LAC get some of that?

No - the reason Zeke got his deal is he is singularly indispensable to the 'Boys offense. Their QB sucks without him. The team loses without him. He is THE difference maker on offense. He's that very rare generational player you cannot replace with anyone else equal. MG - he's just an above average back that contributes plays to a balanced offensive attack. He's a piece, not the solution. He is replaceable, though I dont know we completely replace him with one UDFA and one late round scrub done well.

Rest assured - If Spani could simply drop $3M and be guaranteed a SB win right before they go to their new stadium, they would do that in a heartbeat. TT would have already been told to send the armored car over to MG's house.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Barring an unexpected eleventh-hour development, Pro Bowl running back Melvin Gordon III won't be in the lineup when the Los Angeles Chargers open the 2019 season against the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday...

Well researched piece with very valid arguments why the Bolts should not miss a beat on offense sans Gordon and why the RB position is devalued. Best thing I've read on this subject to date.

Comment

• Caslon
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Naw, thats not it. the Chargers spend up to the team cap every year. their player salary payroll is always right up there near the max allowed. They are so consistently pressed up against the cap that there is an annual lament on this and every other forum board every spring wishing they had the cap space (money) to do something significant in FA. Again this year, they did't have cap space to really go after a top tier DT or OT.

In fact, i stare at the roster and I read the cap number, and i always wonder WTF - why are they always against the cap when they seemingly don't pay any huge money deals. I read teams with 50, 60, 70M in space and wonder how the heck do they get that, how does LAC get some of that?

No - the reason Zeke got his deal is he is singularly indispensable to the 'Boys offense. Their QB sucks without him. The team loses without him. He is THE difference maker on offense. He's that very rare generational player you cannot replace with anyone else equal. MG - he's just an above average back that contributes plays to a balanced offensive attack. He's a piece, not the solution. He is replaceable, though I dont know we completely replace him with one UDFA and one late round scrub done well.

Rest assured - If Spani could simply drop $3M and be guaranteed a SB win right before they go to their new stadium, they would do that in a heartbeat. TT would have already been told to send the armored car over to MG's house.
                      Besides you sounding like an accountant, I guess I can see that. Keep it simple for us stupid folks. I guess you were trying to.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                        Charger Fan till the end
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Carolina
                        • Send PM

I dont think nepotism or the stadium has anything whatsover to do with this negotiation. This has a lot more to do with MGs valuation, cap space and the fact that MG HAS a contract he signed. Asking for an extension with a top 3 type compensation for an oft injured back is a problem for any team. Jerry has deeper pockets and is less concerned about the long term than the Chargers and Zeke hasnt had the health concerns clouding his value. Its just a difference of priorities. A contracted player is bound by it...he agreed to it well knowing he might exceed it with his play. Opening the door by caving in to this contract negotiation behavior sets things up poorly in the future for any employee that thinks hes worth more than his contract...for TT to have entertained MG with a higher offer shows good intentions because he didnt need to do it at all.

IMO MGs agents fucked this all up...they are advising him to do all this while still under contract when they have little leverage. There is a conflict of interest in that agents also get paid more if they succeed in a new contract and its big $. TT has been clear so far and its season game time now and he has said the deal is off so focus on the season. I dont think TT budges unless MG wants to do the previous deal without many changes.

MG is the biggest loser here. Im confident in our backs as we have won without MG and I think JJ will be improved after a good season subbing in. MG is putting his starting job at risk...clock is ticking....get back to the team and earn your paycheck.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Speaking of nepotism, have you looked at the Cowboy front office? Jerry's son Stephen is the CEO, Executive Vice President and Director of Player Personnel. His other son, Jerry Jones, Jr. is also an Executive Vice President and Chief Sales and Marketing Officer for the team. As dmac pointed out, the Chargers are always up against the cap so the Spanos is cheap argument simple isn't true. If you want to argue that where they spend their cap money, that is a different discussion. Let's see how many players the Cowboys have to let go when they have finished extending Dak and Cooper because having massive contracts at multiple positions does not leave room for a very good rest of the roster.

Comment

Working...
                          X