• Show
Clear All
  • captaind
    Cook This Pork Chops
    • Jun 2013
    • Mars
    • Ball Holder
    • Send PM

I made no secret that I was high on Jackson. Thought he showed a lot of potential. Still raw, but has upside. I hope to see him develop a lot this year.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Ekeler is the strongest guy on the team pound for pound. He's built to take a pounding. Give him more touches.

And he got hurt on special teams when he took a helmet to the side of the head. Screwed up his neck. That's a freak injury.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post
        I made no secret that I was high on Jackson. Thought he showed a lot of potential. Still raw, but has upside. I hope to see him develop a lot this year.
        He showed me something last season. He was a rookie who saw limited action, plugged in when he was needed, and he performed admirably. I think he would take great strides forward if he was given an expanded role this season. I may be wrong, but I think the combination of JJ and Ekeler would make us not miss Gordon.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

I'd keep Ekeler in the same lane, split lead RB role between Jackson & Newsome. Go with the hot hand on any given day. Both showed well when given carries in 2018.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
            Ekeler is the strongest guy on the team pound for pound. He's built to take a pounding. Give him more touches.
            So was Sproles and he wasn't the take a pounding RB either.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
              Gordon averaged just under 15 carries per game last season. He averaged 5.5 passing targets a game as well.

Ekeler averaged just under 8 carries per game and just under 4 passing targets.

Ekeler's ypc was 5.2; Gordon's 5.1. Ekeler's yards per passing target was 7.6; Gordon's 7.4.

Justin Jackson averaged 4.1 ypc in 50 carries. He was targeted 19 times by PR and averaged 7.1 yards per. PR's completion rate to JJ was 79%, higher than Ekeler's or Gordon's.

I say give Ekeler and JJ about 10 carries each and average 4-5 targets each. Give the rest to Newsome and/or Cox, depending on the situation. Seems like a very reasonable and manageable workload for each of them and I think the RB position would be every bit as productive.
              And don't forget Detrez: In his limited touches, he averaged 4.5 ypc...not bad at all...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

If we are to compete for and win the Lombardi this year, will must outscore such teams as KC, NE, LAR, NO.

We have a bite at the apple here.

It is not time for anyone, fans, MG's agents, or FO to make a statement about tough, hard nosed contract negotiating.

All sides must compromise.

Get real.

...or wait for TJ Yeldon to be released by the overstocked Bills.
                Last edited by wu-dai clan; 07-21-2019, 06:51 AM.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post
                  From the little i saw of JJ and what i've seen of Eke .. i'd bet that JJ would slide into MG's main role and Eke would keep the role he has. JJ looked closer to that first down back to my untrained eyes. I didn't see enough positives of Dez to put him in the rotation yet and no idea at all what the UDFA will bring.

thats what PS is for.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                    If we are to compete for and win the Lombardi this year, will must outscore such teams as KC, NE, LAR, NO.

It is not time for anyone, fans, MG's agents, or FO to make a statement about tough, hard nosed contract negotiating.

Get real.

If we cave to Gordon here, what's to stop KA, Mike Will and Derwin from sitting out and demanding their deals be upgraded because they're being "disrespected?" You open the renegotiation gate just a crack, and a flood of malcontents is sure to follow...

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Get real.

I subscribe to the theory that running backs aren't that special, unless they possess rare and unusual talent such as Ladanian Tomlinson, Adrian Peterson, or Ezekiel Elliott. Melvin Gordon is not on that level. Running back is the one position where there is a plethora of talent that can be found at all levels of the draft and among undrafted rookies. It is the most punishing position in football, no question. Running back careers are generally short. It's always a good idea to get as young as you can at that position, IMO. I also subscribe to the theory that in this era of the NFL having a platoon of solid running backs is better than on one star player at that position. The Patriots success in winning three of the last five Super Bowls backs this up, IMO. The Eagles won the Superbowl with a stable of solid running backs without a single stand out back among them. I am pretty confident that a platoon of Ekeler, Justin Jackson, and Detrez Newsome, and possibly Jeremy Cox, could provide the same yards gained production at the running back position. The only caveat I have for this is Gordon's 14 touchdowns. That may not be as easy to replace. But I don't think he is worth near his asking price when we have so many talented players who are going to need to be paid in the near future to keep the Super Bowl window open.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Effective RBs have different skills.

Acceleration. Pass pro. Hands. Size.

These are what help Gordon be productive
                        and what make him the third leg of our high ranked triplets.

Do not overpay, but do not undervalue.

Ask Rivers who he prefers competing along side,
                        as he takes his last shots at a ring.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

The thing is with Gordon's 14 TD is that I am not sure how much he really does to produce that. He does produce some explosive plays, but the majority of those TD's are in short-yardage situations. Gordon is only slightly more efficient as a goalline ball carrier than is the norm in the NFL. He gets the number of TD simply because the Chargers give him all more carries in goalline situations, and he converts on a slightly above average # of them. Translation, if we did the same thing with another RB, we are likely to boost that RB production just as much.
                          The running back has been an asset to fantasy teams, but L.A. is better off finding a cheaper option to carry the load.

Some more interesting facts:

We are 26-29 scoring 23.7 points per game with Mel, Without Mel we are 4-5 scoring 23.1 points per game. Based on overall offensive production, we are about the same.

For comparison (same 4 -year period):
                          Keenan Allen 23-18, 24.4 ppg with, 7-16 with 22.3 ppg without Keenan.

This is sort of back to the chicken and the egg thing. OL are so important to a RB production, but if you take an average or maybe slight above average RB and put them behind a good OL, do you really need a great RB to have a good ground game. Add into it that we are NOT a run first offense, and have several RB who together were very productive in Gordon's various abscences.

Comment

Working...
                          X