• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Why not? How has that worked out in the past for the Chargers?

You say he's immediately replaceable - well, then trade him for a 5th round pick.
    No, let him sit out the season and when someone gives him a large contract next season we'll get a high compensatory pick for him.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

No, let him sit out the season and when someone gives him a large contract next season we'll get a high compensatory pick for him.
      If Gordon sits out this season he will still be under contract to the Chargers next season. Nothing will have changed.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

He won't sit past week 10
        we don't "need" him to win most of those games.
        he'll be back, fresh for a playoff run and motivated to show 31 other teams what they can have next season.
        this looks to be turning out to be a blessing in disguise unfolding
        G-Ro knows.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post

If Gordon sits out this season he will still be under contract to the Chargers next season. Nothing will have changed.
          I had always thought this too, but from the articles posted it sounds like that is not true as he has 4 years of service.

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
            Day One...
            • Mar 2019
            • Brentwood, 94513
            • Send PM

Gordon is a vital part of this team. The best, naw, but very good, yes. He's only trying to get some of the insane money other players are getting. Nothing wrong with that. It's the business. And don't hit me with the honoring your contract when owners cut a player whenever they want.

I dont like that this is happening, but it's what happens when you see players in the league getting paid while you're not.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
              Gordon is a vital part of this team. The best, naw, but very good, yes. He's only trying to get some of the insane money other players are getting. Nothing wrong with that. It's the business. And don't hit me with the honoring your contract when owners cut a player whenever they want.

I dont like that this is happening, but it's what happens when you see players in the league getting paid while you're not.
              Good post. Agreed.

In the end, it is an impasse. TT KNEW this was coming. Him and AL must be somewhat comfortable with others, hence there was no drafting of a RB.

This will not be the first time the Chargers will be compelled to be cold.
              Such is the penalty for drafting so well.

Moving forward, with the long game in mind, we cannot retain all these elite players. Preparations are underway for a post-Rivers paradigm, with an elite defense.

--Can we keep both Bosa and Derwin, as Melvin Ingram approaches his mid thirties ?

--Can we obtain an additional best of the best defender ?

I say it might just be Kyzir or Tillery or Nasir !!
              Last edited by wu-dai clan; 07-20-2019, 06:16 AM.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                Went 12-4 ( 3rd best record in franchise history) last year and only lost to the Super Bowl Champs. Beat the AFC runner up on the road in the cold on national TV. Tyreek HIll will probably miss significant time I still think. We have improved more than the loss of TW and Philon cost us I think. I don't expect NE to repeat. I expect we would play much better in a NE rematch due to experience. This was a young team making its first post season experience last season, I expect them to build on that and take it further.
                I got burned too many times in the past expecting this team to build on a previous successful season. Too much can change year to year- and not all positive, and the other teams change too. What happened the year after the last 12-4 season? The team had 1 or more "Super Bowl windows" and universally praised by the media "stacked rosters" under AJ and the best rushing offense and top defenses during that span too- but not a single trip to the Super Bowl along with 2 "1 and dones" when they had home field advantage in the playoffs. AL is doing good things, but man, no way I count on that OL as currently penciled to be any better than average at best. Running game will sputter without MG- and that puts all the pressure back on Rivers shoulders to win by passing- and that NEVER turns out well because he presses too much and makes too many unforced errors in the process costing games. Still think they are too thin at CB to last a season and run defense up the middle problems are not solved yet.
                At least they will get to play in fancy new digs in 2020 :shrug:
                Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

I could see if he was making $800k or so, but he's slated to get $5.6M if i read things correctly. That may be.a lower than top market but its eminently fair for a rookie deal. I just don't see how a guy sits out and leaves $5.6M grapes out on the field to dry up into raisins. That's a number thats starting to be hard to ever get back unless he gets 100% of his future ask.

“Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• BoltBacker
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Las Vegas, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                    He won't sit past week 10
                    we don't "need" him to win most of those games.
                    he'll be back, fresh for a playoff run and motivated to show 31 other teams what they can have next season.
                    this looks to be turning out to be a blessing in disguise unfolding
                    And if he goes off wouldn't we just franchise tag him next year and still have control? I don't see the leverage he has with the exception of screwing up team chemistry.

Comment

• BoltBacker
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Las Vegas, NV
                      • Send PM

One area I do put blame on the Chargers is they have to quit drafting RB's in the first round. If you value the position by drafting high then you are in this position they have now. I want my first round picks to be 8yr+ contributors and RB is such a volatile position.

The other problem is Ekeler, he's great in his role but mediocre at best as the lead back. So MG would be missed if he leaves or gets hurt this season. We should have drafted a RB but didn't and now are in a corner unless they see Jackson taking a huge step up.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

It was not entirely obvious when we drafted him about the value of RB when we drafted him. Both he and Gurley were drafted in the 1st round, Elliott the year after. There have been a few backs in the 1st round. The real issue is the cap values. The majority of NFL teams don't value RB like the teams that are paying the top 4 RB (Gurley, Bell, Johnson and Freeman). Those 4 are skewing the market and giving Gordon the impression that he should get what they get.

From the teams point of view, look at how they value those 4 contracts. Every one of those players has an injury history, and Bell is older and has a drug history too. All of them are at the age where studies show that on average RB start to break down. Johnson's production was not even close to the level pre-injury, and Gurley was unavailable for much of the playoffs and SB this past season. Teams have a good reason to not throw top dollar at a position that younger players can come in and play (again on average) at an early stage of their careers.

MG has the 2nd most touches in the NFL (https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-nfl-offseason , see #16). That is a lot of wear and tear. I see his point. But the team has a point too, and this is a case where both sides have to decide to come together and make a deal.

The current RB market could and probably should be viewed as out of balance, since the top end if being driven by 4 players whose contracts the teams probably regret. We don't need to jump on the bandwagon and give another bad RB deal to perpetuate the problem. I am OK with the Chargers giving him a long term extension, but my condition would be him playing with 2019 at the 5th year option salary, and then the new deal kicking in after the season, and at a salary much less than #13-$15 mil the top 3 players are driving.

I heard once, and I don't recall if the team really did it or they were just thinking of it, but they called a player who was holding out in to visit the GM. It was an essential player, and so to speed up the negotiations, they brought him in to see the board that the "capologist" had with all the players' names and salaries on it. They then asked the player and agent to then select the players that they suggest the team release in order to make room for the players desired salary.

It wouldn't work in this case because we have cap space this year and next, but we do have many, many players to sign to stay under the cap. The Chargers have clearly made an offer, that Gordon found insulting. However, the Chargers seem to have a plan, and I think they need to stick with it.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBacker View Post
                          One area I do put blame on the Chargers is they have to quit drafting RB's in the first round. If you value the position by drafting high then you are in this position they have now. I want my first round picks to be 8yr+ contributors and RB is such a volatile position.

The other problem is Ekeler, he's great in his role but mediocre at best as the lead back. So MG would be missed if he leaves or gets hurt this season. We should have drafted a RB but didn't and now are in a corner unless they see Jackson taking a huge step up.
                          First, I am fine with a combination of Newsome and Jackson splitting the load as the starting RB. Hopefully, Jeremy Cox plays well, to fill in as the 4 minute RB, and leave Ekeler as the change of pace/3rd down RB/slot receiver. Maybe even a few more snaps for Watt.

There is no need even if you don't buy in with DN and JJ as splitting the RB duties. Pretty soon, Jay Ajayi, Jeremey Hill, Alfred Morris and Rob Kelley (Alex Collins) will be willing to play for the $5.6 mil we were going to pay Gordon. All are sitting at home, waiting for a call. Bring them in, give them a physical and conditioning test and throw the best of them a playbook. If you want a little more exoitic solution, there is TJ Yeldon or Darren Sproles as 3rd down RB, and Ekeler switches to more of a runner.

There are options. Not ideal options, but options.

Comment

Working...
                          X