• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

This whole situation sucks, because the only possible win-win is a trade where Gordon can get a sweetheart deal. I like the guy off the field and when he's available, he's a beast. If he stays, its no longer than the season, and he's pissed, and a possible team cancer, but the team is probably right there as a favorite to go deep in the playoffs, and without him, his buds have to step it up.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Id take better blocking over Gordon any day.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
        And don't hit me with the honoring your contract when owners cut a player whenever they want.
        The owners are honoring their contract with the player. A team can cut a player whenever they want but the player gets all of the remaining guaranteed money owed to him and becomes a free agent. Gordon is not honoring his contract.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I didn't understand the train of logic exonerating GMs from honoring their own contracts.

Coaches in college athletics never seem to do so; the first time they get a superior offer, most are out of town in a flash - contradicting what they told the recruits
          .:toyou:
          Honoring/discontinuing contracts are part of the job of being a GM because those contracts are all dependent on how the others turn out, there are a lot of variables.
          vs a player who isn't depending on how other players live up to their contracts, they're job is simpler, play as best as you can for X amount of years for X amount of money.
          A GM can't do his job if the players don't do theirs. The opposite isn't necessarily true, a player only needs the initial contract to do his job
          G-Ro knows.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

As I'm reading my posts I'm still not making my point clear...
            Is there anyone out there who understands me and can help articulate my point??
            Haha
            or am I just wrong on this one?
            G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBacker View Post
              One area I do put blame on the Chargers is they have to quit drafting RB's in the first round. If you value the position by drafting high then you are in this position they have now. I want my first round picks to be 8yr+ contributors and RB is such a volatile position.

The other problem is Ekeler, he's great in his role but mediocre at best as the lead back. So MG would be missed if he leaves or gets hurt this season. We should have drafted a RB but didn't and now are in a corner unless they see Jackson taking a huge step up.
              But It gives u a longer time frame on the rookie deal.

Comment

• Sgt Schultz
                Bandwagon since 8/6/1960
                • Jun 2013
                • Palm Springs
                • I know nothing
                • Send PM

Does Justin Jackson have a little of Marcus Allen's running style?

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Honoring/discontinuing contracts are part of the job of being a GM because those contracts are all dependent on how the others turn out, there are a lot of variables.
                  vs a player who isn't depending on how other players live up to their contracts, they're job is simpler, play as best as you can for X amount of years for X amount of money.
                  A GM can't do his job if the players don't do theirs. The opposite isn't necessarily true, a player only needs the initial contract to do his job
                  Agree...from management's standpoint, they are on the hook to pay that contract, UNLESS they cut him, and there's dead money consequences here. Suppose a player's performance deteriorates or is habitually injured. Teams hate to cut a player who was producing, because there's the hope he improves. But sometimes performance and chronic injuries outweigh having to eat the last year or two of a player's deal. In other words, as long as a player continues to produce, the team will continue to honor their contract with said player.

On the other hand, if a PLAYER is STILL UNDER CONTRACT, and demands that said contract be torn up because he "feels" he's being underpaid, and fails to report for TC, pre-season games or regular season games, now he is in breach of contract, and that same contract spells out what the fines are for the PLAYER'S voluntary violation of the terms of that contract.

So, in a contract, both sides have rights. The player has the right to collect his salary and bonuses (if any) AS LONG AS HE REPORTS TO WORK and continues to play at a level commensurate with that contract. Management also has the right to levy fines on non-reporting players, OR to release a player from his contract, if management is willing to pay any guaranteed money due, AND to assume the remainder of dead cap $$$.
                  Last edited by Topcat; 07-20-2019, 03:47 PM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Agree...from management's standpoint, they are on the hook to pay that contract, UNLESS they cut him, and there's dead money consequences here. Suppose a player's performance deteriorates or is habitually injured. Teams hate to cut a player who was producing, because there's the hope he improves. But sometimes performance and chronic injuries outweigh having to eat the last year or two of a player's deal. In other words, as long as a player continues to produce, the team will continue to honor their contract with said player.

On the other hand, if a PLAYER is STILL UNDER CONTRACT, and demands that said contract be torn up because he "feels" he's being underpaid, and fails to report for TC, pre-season games or regular season games, now he is in breach of contract, and that same contract spells out what the fines are for the PLAYER'S voluntary violation of the terms of that contract. So, in a contract, both sides have rights. The player has the right to collect his salary and bonuses (if any) AS LONG AS HE REPORTS TO WORK and continues to play at a level commensurate with that contract. Management also has the right to levy fines OR to release a player from his contract, if management is willing to pay any guaranteed money due, AND to assume the remainder of dead cap $$$.
                    Frankly, this is a pivotal moment in franchise history.
                    With Gordon, we've got triplets.
                    Without Gordon, we've only got the twins to hold on to.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Frankly, this is a pivotal moment in franchise history.
                      With Gordon, we've got triplets.
                      Without Gordon, we've only got the twins to hold on to.
                      Yep. And one of those triplets is a crybaby. The other two are fine.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Actually, with Ekkie, Jackson, Detrez and Cox, we've got quads...

Comment

• Boltgang74
                          We Are The Storm!
                          • Aug 2018
                          • Send PM

Yep really think Jeremy is gonna open some eyes come camp time.Which may open Gordon's eyes hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                          X