Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
    Elliot, Barkley, Gurley, and Bell are all better than MG and maybe others ... so MG wants top 3 money without ever being a top 3 guy ... he'll even a top 5 guy ...

And Chargers don't have the cap room to give him what he is asking and more valuable players (Bosa, Rivers, Etc) will be coming up for renewal shortly ...

And the public and fans are not in support of his position and by saying he will demand a trade, he effectively just did, don't see how this can be recovered after this. Bell lost support of his Pittsburgh teammates over the course of his holdout and "he played out his contract" ... MG is refusing to honor his contract ... Bell honored his and was fighting a 2nd franchise tag ... hug difference ...

MG lied when he said he wanted a new deal but would play just a few weeks ago ... does he even have 10% support for his position ??

Somebody do a poll please ...
    I think the contract thing is also about the RB market in general, not just him specifically.

RB are in trouble in 2 senses. First, with the majority of NFL teams going to a RB by committee, even those who play for teams that feature them will get their salaries downgraded. The "market" will just be set by guys playing in committee. Sure, you the top 3 guys would get contracts 1,2 and 3, but if 4 and below are set by the value RB by committee teams set, they aren't getting judged by a seperate scale.

The opposite way of looking at it is that the top 3 teams are overvaluing the top 3 or 4 RB. That means all NFL RB are going to get screwed soon, which I suspect is some of the deal with Gordon. He wants his now, because a new deal in a year could look a lot worse than the current deals are. I think he is right in that regard. If I was the Chargers, I would not be interested in paying the top of the RB pay scale, because it is overvalued.

Flip to Gordon case specifically. There has to be some urgency of getting a new contract before NFL teams all decide to stand their ground and readjust the RB market more in line with the RB by committee approach. Then all the top 4 or 5 RB would feel like they are getting screwed.

Second, it is not uncommon for a guy who is not the best to get the top contract. Contracts get issued at specific times and because contracts are competitive, new contracts are being issued all the time. the 2nd or 3rd best guy often gets the best deal if the other guy already has had a deal. If you think that Gurley is the best player, and has the best deal, Gordon is asking for a new deal 1 year later, so would get a better deal. Again, this is probably a negotiating point as much as anything, but it is not unheard of.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

I was kidding when i posted its hard to worry about losing a guy who never beat the Chiefs. I saw an entire article by a professional football writer that made this claim - but i posted it as more of a joke. Sorry to start a whole thing here ...

MG is the Chargers best back. I think he's worth the 5.6M he's guaranteed to get this year if he shows up. I recommend he show up and get it, thats a lot of money.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

I was just genuinely curious. Looks like 2020 has Ryan/Freeman north of the 40+ range. Looks like the top 10 highest QB contracts all have RBs on rookie deals. And the top 10 highest RB contracts are on teams with QBs on rookie deals. Outside of Atlanta.

Well, now that you look at it that way, Fleet, looks like there is a pattern here. Therefore, the conclusion is, hardly any teams can bear the brunt of two pricey QB and RB contracts at the same time...let's see, need to trade Gordon to a team with a QB on a nice, bargain-basement, cheap rookie deal...

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Well, now that you look at it that way, Fleet, looks like there is a pattern here. Therefore, the conclusion is, hardly any teams can bear the brunt of two pricey QB and RB contracts at the same time...let's see, need to trade Gordon to a team with a QB on a nice, bargain-basement, cheap rookie deal...
          Exactly what i have been saying forever.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I think the contract thing is also about the RB market in general, not just him specifically.

RB are in trouble in 2 senses. First, with the majority of NFL teams going to a RB by committee, even those who play for teams that feature them will get their salaries downgraded. The "market" will just be set by guys playing in committee. Sure, you the top 3 guys would get contracts 1,2 and 3, but if 4 and below are set by the value RB by committee teams set, they aren't getting judged by a seperate scale.

The opposite way of looking at it is that the top 3 teams are overvaluing the top 3 or 4 RB. That means all NFL RB are going to get screwed soon, which I suspect is some of the deal with Gordon. He wants his now, because a new deal in a year could look a lot worse than the current deals are. I think he is right in that regard. If I was the Chargers, I would not be interested in paying the top of the RB pay scale, because it is overvalued.

Flip to Gordon case specifically. There has to be some urgency of getting a new contract before NFL teams all decide to stand their ground and readjust the RB market more in line with the RB by committee approach. Then all the top 4 or 5 RB would feel like they are getting screwed.

Second, it is not uncommon for a guy who is not the best to get the top contract. Contracts get issued at specific times and because contracts are competitive, new contracts are being issued all the time. the 2nd or 3rd best guy often gets the best deal if the other guy already has had a deal. If you think that Gurley is the best player, and has the best deal, Gordon is asking for a new deal 1 year later, so would get a better deal. Again, this is probably a negotiating point as much as anything, but it is not unheard of.
            Good points, Steve. This RB by committee thing is somewhat similar to how teams use sub packages on defense. Instead of 3 linebackers all the time, a lot of teams are using various packages like nickel, dime, etc. There are safeties brought in for pass protection in certain packages, so if a certain linebacker is not a "3-down linebacker," this in essence, diminishes his value to the team and his contract should reflect this. With wideouts, also similar. If a team is running only two WR's, those two should rightfully command higher salaries, if they produce, of course. Add a slot receiver and that value is diluted. Add a spread with 4 wideouts, and it's diluted even more, especially if the 3rd and 4th wideouts produce. Gordon needs to understand that his value, though good, is not as high as he thinks it is.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

This talking head states what a majority of us have said......

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Chargers should see if there is any interest in Gordon for one of these players. These players have yet to truly break out and have had ups and downs for different reasons so I think their teams would pick up the phone and consider a deal.

D.Parker-WR
                S.Thomas-DE
                L.Fournette-RB
                V.Hargreaves-CB

These player might do better with a fresh start somewhere else. For Parker & Fournette they get to play with a QB the caliber of Rivers. So they could improve simply be being with a great QB.

And for Thomas & Hargreaves, they are very talented young players but have not lived up to their draft spot yet. A change could help them.

Getting away from the Gordon distraction and adding excitement of a new player with something to prove is how im hoping Telesco deals with the Gordon demand.
                Who has it better than us?

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                  Chargers should see if there is any interest in Gordon for one of these players. These players have yet to truly break out and have had ups and downs for different reasons so I think their teams would pick up the phone and consider a deal.

D.Parker-WR
                  S.Thomas-DE
                  L.Fournette-RB
                  V.Hargreaves-CB

These player might do better with a fresh start somewhere else. For Parker & Fournette they get to play with a QB the caliber of Rivers. So they could improve simply be being with a great QB.

And for Thomas & Hargreaves, they are very talented young players but have not lived up to their draft spot yet. A change could help them.

Getting away from the Gordon distraction and adding excitement of a new player with something to prove is how im hoping Telesco deals with the Gordon demand.
                  I'd take fournette but can he catch? MGIII has been a valuable receiver for us

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

D.Parker-WR
                    S.Thomas-DE
                    L.Fournette-RB
                    V.Hargreaves-CB

I'd rather have a nice high draft pick...or two...

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

I'd rather have a nice high draft pick...or two...
                      Draft pick won't help this year. No team is going to give up more than a 3rd at best. And that pick won't be on the field until 2020 as a rookie that won't have any NFL experience. And then that pick needs to pan out.

My list of players to trade for are all former 1st rd. Pick talent and all have something to prove and would be available this year. Availability is very important. Which is why Melvin holding out is a problem. Chargers need a player with upside and some NFL experience who can do something this year out of a Gordon deal, imo. Not the potential of an unknown future pick. But a pick is better than nothing. If they can't get a player, then a pick will do.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I'd take fournette but can he catch? MGIII has been a valuable receiver for us
                        --Chuck Muncie.
                        --Kareem Hunt.
                        --Leonard Fournette.

No choirboy RBs for jamrock...
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

If we somehow extend Gordon....i think its safe to start worrying that this is Rivers last year? lol

Comment

Working...
                          X