Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
    I could see if he was making $800k or so, but he's slated to get $5.6M if i read things correctly. That may be.a lower than top market but its eminently fair for a rookie deal. I just don't see how a guy sits out and leaves $5.6M grapes out on the field to dry up into raisins. That's a number thats starting to be hard to ever get back unless he gets 100% of his future ask.
    The real issue is that MG and his representation want to cash in at the top of the RB market's current value before everyone adjusts it downward. NFL teams are saying the value is out of balance with the production and availability, so their response to Bell as a FA was only the 1 offer (and now the team isn't so sure). It's not like sportswriters and analytics types haven't noticed the RB market being out of wack. Everyone in NY went nuts after they thought about singing Bell. Everyone in Rams country is worried about Gurley. I hear AZ fans are really worried about Johnson and how he will adapt to the new Air Raid offense.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Didn't the guy that signed Bell get fired already? A lot to ponder here ..

As to Rd 1 RBs - it may ironically become more valuable to draft an elite RB in Rd 1 to be able to capture them under an affordable rookie 4 yr salary structure. Teams are realizing more that paying $11, 13, 15M for a RB is not wise even if they are elite. But locking up an an elite RB for 4 yrs / $20M total ... hmm.

MG is not a $13M contributor. He's just not that critical to victory. MG mistakes his value on this team. I would not trade him for less than a #2 on a contender, #3 on a cellar dweller. I let him sit and lose money day by day.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Worst case with this is, 3rd round comp pick, and money saved for others.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

I'd like for Gordon to play but doubt this can end well. How much can we give him and still pay other stars. Holdouts suck.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltBacker View Post

And if he goes off wouldn't we just franchise tag him next year and still have control? I don't see the leverage he has with the exception of screwing up team chemistry.
            I think he's holding out to get the team to agree to not franchise tag him next year. Nothing else makes sense. This team is not going to pay him another dime this year. And Gordon would be stupid to walk away from 5.6 million. It sets him up for life.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Does anybody here want to pay Gordon franchise tag money next year even? That may be unaffordable to the club too. No matter what, this could be Gordon's last year here.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Plus, how many older players would sign for less money just to have a chance at winning a Super Bowl? Just a chance to put that cherry on top of their career?
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                  Does anybody here want to pay Gordon franchise tag money next year even? That may be unaffordable to the club too. No matter what, this could be Gordon's last year here.
                  https://overthecap.com/franchise-transition-and-rfa-tenders/

Over the cap estimates the franchise tag to be at $12.6 mil next season. That could change dramatically if anything happens to the top couple of RB. I could see Bell being released by the Jets and/or Johnson being released by the Cardinals. Either of those moves would drop the average value part of the RB position. However, neither of those is set in stone, because both teams would have a huge amount of dead money vs any of those contracts.

That being said, based on the current
                  estimated value, we would be better off just signing him to the extension.

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

I just want to address the criticism that it's hypocritical to ask players to fulfill their contract while teams aren't.
                    I think this comparison is off
                    a player has a lot of influence/control on how he performs. You can argue that any given player is held back by teammates or scheme etc but for the most part, they agree to play their best for X amount of dollars and see where the chips lay.
                    a GMs job is much different, he has no influence on how players perform, a GMs "performance" are the decisions he makes about how contracts and assets are playing out. So his job essentially IS to cut/extend players.
                    when a GM regrets a contract it's because the PLAYER failed to live up to or close to expectation. And the GM has little control of that. When a player is upset over his contract it's because he out performed it, and is wanting to capitalize professionally. The true equivalent is the GM refusing to continue working for the owner because he stuck gold with several draft picks etc
                    so I think it's okay to ask players to honor their contract while expecting GMs not to.
                    P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                    P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                    P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                    P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                      I just want to address the criticism that it's hypocritical to ask players to fulfill their contract while teams aren't.
                      a player has a lot of influence/control on how he performs. You can argue that any given player is held back by teammates or scheme etc but for the most part, they agree to play their best for X amount of dollars and see where the chips lay.
                      a GMs job is much different, he has no influence on how players perform, a GMs "performance" are the decisions he makes about how contracts and assets are playing out. So his job essentially IS to cut/extend players.
                      when a GM regrets a contract it's because the PLAYER failed to live up to or close to expectation. And the GM has little control of that. When a player is upset over his contract it's because he out performed it, and is wanting to capitalize professionally. The true equivalent is the GM refusing to continue working for the owner because he stuck gold with several draft picks etc
                      so I think it's okay to ask players to honor their contract while expecting GMs not to.
                      Donald Butler is a good example. He got a big contract and proceeded to suck.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                        I didn't understand the train of logic exonerating GMs from honoring their own contracts.

Coaches in college athletics never seem to do so; the first time they get a superior offer, most are out of town in a flash - contradicting what they told the recruits
                        .:toyou:

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Send PM

Let's see what happens after training camps open. Maybe Gordon reports and decides to play out his contract and take his chances next year. If he doesn't and continues to demand a trade...well injuries happen, and between late July and the start of the season a team could become desperate for a running back of Gordon's caliber and Tommy T. can ask what he wants. That is the best scenario for getting good value for Gordon, IMO.

I'm confident in the talent we have at running back, if it is used as a platoon. I would see JJ getting most of the touches, but not carry the load that Gordon did. Ekeler would be close behind, and Detrez Newsome's role would be expanded. This would keep everybody fresh, less prone to injury, and if one of them is injured it's less of an impact. As for Jeremy Cox, I don't know if they would want to carry four running backs, in addition to Watt, who I think is essential to keep. If they carry six wide receivers, I don't see how they can carry four running backs in addition to Watts. Cox is listed on the depth chart as Watt's backup at fullback, by the way. But maybe Cox shows in camp and in the preseason that he's the next Jerome Bettis. Stranger things have happened.
                          :disco:

Comment

Working...
                          X