• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

I think this is the cold hard truth.
    Look at the Bears with Jordan Howard. We are going to face some cap realities.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
      Cool. I looked for this thread on my phone and couldn't find it.
      No worries man. Its not easy navigating on mobil.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

I would make a lousy GM. I think of MG as family, a guy who has worked hard and taken a lot of punishment for the team and the fans. And that he deserves to be rewarded for what he has done. It's hard for me to be cold-blooded and just look at what is good for the business of the team.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
          Ive been a pretty strong supporter of him. I wanted us to draft him. And its not that i think he deserves to get a huge payday...its just that i think TT loves him. That was my gut feeling when Gordon came out and said he was waiting for Bell to sign. We have a Gordon thread around here with some decent discussion regarding his contract. I didnt want to merge your thread without seeing how you felt about it. But this could easily be part of that discussion.

After looking at what players need to be signed over the next couple years it may make some sense to let him walk. Because he will most likely get close to Gurley type numbers. Isnt the most durable back. But he also gets hit a more than most. I think he may be the top back for yardage after contact. He breaks a lot of tackles. Get him behind a Dallas type OL or Colts OL and watch out. The Colts could easily give him huge money.

I love having a stud RB....especially with Rivers because he is such a pocket type passer. He doesnt run an RPO and has almost no plays designed outside the pocket while moving. But it may make some sense to really put high picks and money into a monster OL. Defensively we may be set for a while. If we use Gordons money to re-sign guys like Bosa and Ingram. Things would be a lot easier money wise if we didnt have Rivers potentially getting 30M a year over the next couple seasons after this one.

RB is probably one of the more easier positions to draft. Multiple guys i have liked in the mid rounds in recent years have done very well. David Johnson and James Conner come to mind. Liked Kerryon a lot last year. And since we will be drafting in the back of round 1 for years to come i also dont have an issue taking a RB in the back of round 1 or 2. Saves us a lot of money just drafting one.

Lots of big names coming up....

The 2020 year is uninspiring. Most of them can walk as we are already grooming replacements.

I have been on record before that i would use the RB position as a meat grinder. Top tier gets signed once to franchise tag, otherwise keep the wheels turning with easily affordable contracts. RB is the easiest position to fill in the NFL, especially with a good oline.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

I would make a lousy GM. I think of MG as family, a guy who has worked hard and taken a lot of punishment for the team and the fans. And that he deserves to be rewarded for what he has done. It's hard for me to be cold-blooded and just look at what is good for the business of the team.
            MG probably looks at it the same way. I have a feeling he's going to hold out

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

It would be nice if the OL could blow wide holes so a 'stud' RB wouldn't be that necessary. I like Flash, but his talents aren't transcendent and I'd be ok with saving cap space and going with an early round RB.

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                Kareem Hunt woul;d have been a good pick-up. Still mad they didn't bring him in. Would make letting Gordon go elsewhere much easier.
                Screw that and him. He is a fa at the end of the year. Someone else can sign him. Hell Damien Williams (a failure in Mia) looked like a world beater in the playoffs in that O. cant trust Hunt...RBs are a dime a dozen, just match the skill set (zone vs power block)to the scheme and a good oline. And if they can't catch i have no interest.

Comment

• Panamamike
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                  It would be nice if the OL could blow wide holes so a 'stud' RB wouldn't be that necessary. I like Flash, but his talents aren't transcendent and I'd be ok with saving cap space and going with an early round RB.
                  Don't even need early round. Hell i like Saunders a lot out of PSU. Teach him better ball security a la Tiki and look out. This was a realky weak RB class IMO. Think Jacobs is highly over-rated fwiw.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

I hate letting him walk. But we have future cap issues signing our stars and RB is more easily replaceable than other positions. NFL cap reality requires tough choices. Both TWill and Philon should have been re-singed but the money was needed elsewhere.

PS. Rivers needs his money. Sign him.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

It just depends in who it is for me. I never been a big fan of Ingram and didn't want us to draft him.

He has been pretty decent but i was not really into giving him big money but on the other hand, we kinda needed him. Pass rushers are harder to come by than RBs.

When Ingrams contract comes up next time, he is toast for me and he will be in his 30's. He has his moments but isn't consistent enough imo

I'd have no problem letting Benjamin go or Hayward after this season. Bosa has to have a big year to get that fat contract we all expect he wants
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 05-28-2019, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

The 2020 year is uninspiring. Most of them can walk as we are already grooming replacements.

I have been on record before that i would use the RB position as a meat grinder. Top tier gets signed once to franchise tag, otherwise keep the wheels turning with easily affordable contracts. RB is the easiest position to fill in the NFL, especially with a good oline.
                        Rivers and Henry will be brought back. And Rivers alone is crazy expensive. Better draft a C soon. Is Quessenberry the answer? Unknown. Trevor Williams is developing still has some upside. Its nice to have a #2 CB that didnt cost us anything. Still the market is so high for decent CBs. The bulk of the core hits in 2021 so i agree 2020 was really about Rivers and Henry. Schofield could be a cheap bring back.

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

Comment

Working...
                          X