Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
    Yup. Just wanted to get someone else's take. RBs take hits from bigger bodies than theirs running at or near full speed. Their knees, hips and other vulnerable parts are more exposed to damage.
    Marcus Allen and LT (to name just 2) were very good at anticipating and avoiding the big hits and had long, relatively injury-free careers. Don't know if it is instict or can be taught.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      I would not extend Gordon unless he was willing to give a huge hometown discount, and I don't think he will (nor would I blame him for not). Too many injuries, too many hits and the nagging longevity worry post micro-fracture surgery. He has developed into a very good back, but can be replaced and the premium money he'll likely want could be spent on more needs.
      when was the last time you even read/heard any reports of "concern" at all about his knee after that surgery? IMO, not an issue after this much time passed.
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

2020 RB class. Lots of talent to choose from.

Last edited by Sgt. Pepper; 05-30-2019, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• Bolts223
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

I haven't really read through this thread but as much as I like Gordon, I think he'll probably have to be the cap casualty after this season. It's more important that we be able to resign guys like Bosa/Henry and give Rivers an extension that it is to resign a RB. RB's are easy to replace and one of Lynn's main strengths as a coach is developing them.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SDFan View Post

Gordon is rarely going top speed when/if he hits the hole. Too much dancing around and indecision in backfield.
            He has got a lot better at that. There are plenty of times he hits the hole well because he had one. He didnt have many early in his career. Besides, being a patient runner isnt a bad thing. How many times does LeVeon Bell hit the hole at full speed?

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

when was the last time you even read/heard any reports of "concern" at all about his knee after that surgery? IMO, not an issue after this much time passed.
              There were reports after the surgery questioning how long it would hold up.

Comment

• SYB
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

He has got a lot better at that. There are plenty of times he hits the hole well because he had one. He didnt have many early in his career. Besides, being a patient runner isnt a bad thing. How many times does LeVeon Bell hit the hole at full speed?
                The next time he does it will likely be the first.

Comment

• SYB
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

There were reports after the surgery questioning how long it would hold up.
                  I don't recall that. I do recall there being questions in short term healing though or fear that it wouldn't heal right.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Gordon is rarely going top speed when/if he hits the hole. Too much dancing around and indecision in backfield.
                    If you go back and watch him in college, hitting the hole at full speed was his MO. WHat he really lacks is the kind of OL that can allow him to do that. It is very, very hard for a RB to have the confidence to blindly accelerate and hit the line at full speed, unless you are confident that the hole is going to be there. So far, over his career, our OL has been nowhere near good enough to do that for him.

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

If he gets a new contract, it should be for no more than 2 years. In other words, there will be an out after two years even if the contract is for longer.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2019
                        • Send PM

After much development during the 2018 season, it’s time to evaluate the status of the Los Angeles Chargers’ running backs. Over the course of the offs...

Alexander Insdorf at Fansided's Bolt Beat opines that the Chargers are among the deepest at RB right now, and the smart thing to do would be to lighten MG's workload. Always glad to see Austin E. on the field, but I wouldn't mind seeing more J Jackson as well.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
                          https://boltbeat.com/2019/05/31/char...running-backs/

Alexander Insdorf at Fansided's Bolt Beat opines that the Chargers are among the deepest at RB right now, and the smart thing to do would be to lighten MG's workload. Always glad to see Austin E. on the field, but I wouldn't mind seeing more J Jackson as well.
                          I wouldn't have minded seeing some Kareem Hunt

Comment

Working...
                          X