Clear All
  • La Costa Boy
    Pretty much retired......
    • Sep 2018
    • JoJa
    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

If we somehow extend Gordon....i think its safe to start worrying that this is Rivers last year? lol
    NO!!! He wants to have two or three more kids......I mean seasons........

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

--Chuck Muncie.
      --Kareem Hunt.
      --Leonard Fournette.

No choirboy RBs for jamrock...
      I'd take Kamara as well but then it really would have to be committee

Comment

• Fleet
        TPB Founder
        • Jun 2013
        • Cardiff - Poipu
        • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

NO!!! He wants to have two or three more kids......I mean seasons........
        lol. I know he wants to play in the new stadium. You know the one the Chargers are building. I think Gordon wont be extended because Rivers is going to get extended. And based on the numbers i posted in my last post its likely due to some formula capologist's use to keep a team under the cap.

I would have to go back and see where LT and Rivers contracts coincide. Because im sure LT got a max contract and Rivers got a max contract at the same time. But thats 2 HOF players. The exception?

It may just be that we are in a lull sort of for this kind of thing. Will the Cowboys make Zeke the highest paid RB and then turn around and sign Dak to a huge contract? Not that i think Dak is a stud or anything. But the market is set on QBs. Foles took a pretty fair deal. So Fournette may get paid as well.

Gurley has a huge contract. I think Goff will get one. So this theory may just not be a very accurate one. Especially if we look back in history on it or projecting the future.

We certainly have a lot of stud players coming up on extensions. We could probably save some cash by letting Hayward walk eventually. And drafting a stud CB. Maybe we use a 1st on a OT next year and let Okung walk. Maybe we use a 1st on a CB in 2021 and let Hayward walk. The dead money on those 2 i those years isnt much. This is sort of the way you have to build your roster when you have a QB on a huge annual deal.

Which brings me back to our original discussion. I think Rivers gets a 2/3 year deal. 60M +

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I'd take Kamara as well but then it really would have to be committee
          Excellent choice Sir.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

lol. I know he wants to play in the new stadium. You know the one the Chargers are building. I think Gordon wont be extended because Rivers is going to get extended. And based on the numbers i posted in my last post its likely due to some formula capologist's use to keep a team under the cap.

I would have to go back and see where LT and Rivers contracts coincide. Because im sure LT got a max contract and Rivers got a max contract at the same time. But thats 2 HOF players. The exception?

It may just be that we are in a lull sort of for this kind of thing. Will the Cowboys make Zeke the highest paid RB and then turn around and sign Dak to a huge contract? Not that i think Dak is a stud or anything. But the market is set on QBs. Foles took a pretty fair deal. So Fournette may get paid as well.

Gurley has a huge contract. I think Goff will get one. So this theory may just not be a very accurate one. Especially if we look back in history on it or projecting the future.

We certainly have a lot of stud players coming up on extensions. We could probably save some cash by letting Hayward walk eventually. And drafting a stud CB. Maybe we use a 1st on a OT next year and let Okung walk. Maybe we use a 1st on a CB in 2021 and let Hayward walk. The dead money on those 2 i those years isnt much. This is sort of the way you have to build your roster when you have a QB on a huge annual deal.

Which brings me back to our original discussion. I think Rivers gets a 2/3 year deal. 60M +
            Ouch. But probably accurate. Now the Bolts REALLY need to pinch pennies, to extend Rivers and Boss both...

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Ouch. But probably accurate. Now the Bolts REALLY need to pinch pennies, to extend Rivers and Boss both...
              Man i just cant see us not signing both. I think that happens.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I always hate this line of reasoning for any single player. It seems inconsistent to have players like Rivers who hasn't beat KC in a while (or NE) and then use it against Gordon.

It's a team sport, and the team finally put in a worthy effort to beat KC (and Pitt).

Utlimately it comes down to how much cap space do we need to spend on Gordon and can we field a good team and him. I think he is pricing himself off the team, IMHO.
                But it kinda is the point cuz with limited resources, where do you spend the money? Is a player like Gordon worth having more than the 8-12 other starters and role players deemed "necessary"? What does it take to beat a team like KC?

Comment

• OhioBolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Melvin deserves an increase but not the salary of the top 5. Todd Gurly got paid and got injured and the Rams were able to get to the Super Bowl with out him the difference with us all of our backup running backs are better than what the Rams rolled out there with CJ Anderson & Malcom Brown. If Gordon holds out or gets traded we need a starter I am not sure Eckler or Jackson are built to be 16 game starters, so maybe running back by committe, trade Gordon to Cleveland for disgruntled running back Duke Johnson

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
                    Melvin deserves an increase but not the salary of the top 5. Todd Gurly got paid and got injured and the Rams were able to get to the Super Bowl with out him the difference with us all of our backup running backs are better than what the Rams rolled out there with CJ Anderson & Malcom Brown. If Gordon holds out or gets traded we need a starter I am not sure Eckler or Jackson are built to be 16 game starters, so maybe running back by committe, trade Gordon to Cleveland for disgruntled running back Duke Johnson
                    Honestly, as a rusher, I don't think Johnson is much better than Justin Jackson or Detrez, though Johnson is a stellar receiver out of the backfield. Johnson's only issue is that guys like Chubb and Hunt are better...also, it doesn't help that his own QB is calling him out publicly:

Moments later, quarterback Baker Mayfield was asked if Johnson's ongoing trade request would create any awkwardness in the locker room this week. Mayfield responded that it would be so for only one player. "It's not awkward, it's self-inflicted," Mayfield said. "It's not awkward for anyone else in this building. He's got to do his job. He said he's a professional. I hope he does his job. "I get it, Duke has been here for years, and I respect that. But it's about what you're doing right now and what we're going to do. The past is the past. ... You're either on this train or you're not."

As Duke Johnson continues to seek a trade from the Browns, Baker Mayfield says that while the running back is still on the team, "you're either on this train or you're not."

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Doesnt matter...cleveland is thick at RB.

Comment

• Fleet
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Cardiff - Poipu
                        • Send PM

Mayfield and Chubb will be up for a new contract around the same time. Cleveland is really taking advantage of their RB/QB situation now. All these high picks will eventually catch up with them. The problem is the culture of losing. Its not always easy to overcome. Chemistry and winning takes time. And they need to go after it now because there will be a lot of hefty contracts within a few years.

Thing is they are 35M under now. They can roll that over year after year and practically keep all of their studs.

Comment

• Blue Thunder
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Arlington, TX
                          • Send PM

Thinking out loud here...

Of the possible trade partners, either Houston or Buffalo makes the most sense to me since their QBs are both still on their rookie deals. Houston has the most cap space of the two teams, I believe.

I think rosterwise, Tampa makes sense, but they probably would struggle to be able to pay Winston, Evans, and Gordon. I don't know their cap situation offhand, though. Maybe they could make it work if they wanted to bad enough.

I don't see Green Bay really as a fit because of the Rodgers contract. They probably can't afford Rodgers and Gordon just like we can't afford Rivers and Gordon.

Miami, I guess could work as well. Financially, Rosen's contract would make sense in a fit with Gordon.

If Guice's injury is serious enough, Washington could work since Haskins is on a rookie deal.

Cleveland already has enough RBs even without Johnson, so I don't see them being interested in Gordon. Plus, I think they have more financial sense that to send a boatload of money Gordon's way.

Maybe Indy? They have a lot of cap space and may not be thrilled with their RB situation.

Or Jacksonville? They might prefer Gordon to Fournette. You never know. I'm not sure that there's that much difference between the two players, though, so probably not.

Any other teams come to mind?
                          Last edited by Blue Thunder; 07-15-2019, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X