• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

The Bolts get the same OT at 33 that they get at 28. So I'd do the trade.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

do agree on the likelihood that the Chargers have indeed offered their second in exchange for Rosen.... (not fond of that deal).

albeit don't think the pundits mention of a Chargers swap for Rosen has any bearing on where the Chargers are at w/things, other than to add speculation as to the merits of the possibility ??

and yes again, it might make sense (to someone, and obviously someone named team Tommy John), and.... would be something else (than I would wish for, @least speaking for myself).
      Why would the Chargers even be in the market for a guy they would have to groom for a couple years when Rivers made clear he wants to play another 2-3 years? They also already gave a 2 year deal to Tie Rod Taylor to be the backup requiring them to carry 3 QBs for at least 2 years and Rosen would get Zero time working with 1st, 2nd team in practice. After 3 years Rosen would be at/near the end of his rookie deal with little record as a starter to base his chances of taking over and getting a new fat multi-year deal. I can't connect the dots on this idea..
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Would Taylor be part of the deal?

Comment

• Originally posted by SDFan View Post

Why would the Chargers even be in the market for a guy they would have to groom for a couple years when Rivers made clear he wants to play another 2-3 years? They also already gave a 2 year deal to Tie Rod Taylor to be the backup requiring them to carry 3 QBs for at least 2 years and Rosen would get Zero time working with 1st, 2nd team in practice. After 3 years Rosen would be at/near the end of his rookie deal with little record as a starter to base his chances of taking over and getting a new fat multi-year deal. I can't connect the dots on this idea..
          Unless Rivers has given the nod that this could be his final year. If he's leaning towards one more try at a championship, then riding off into the sunset win or lose, then us being interested in Josh Rosen makes sense because he could be the successor to Rivers.

The other thing to remember here is that Rosen was a first round pick and as such we would then have the 5th year option. That gives us four seasons to work with before he needs a long term extension. If Rivers plays 2-3 years, that means Rosen will either be starting for this team in the 4th or 5th year of his rookie contract meaning we'll either get one or two seasons worth of evaluation before deciding whether to pen him to an extension.

Now you are right that signing Tyrod does give us a good backup. He's even a bridge quarterback for us if Rivers does call it a day a year from now. However, he is not the long term option for this team. He's a backup/stop gap starter. So if Rivers has given us the nod, or the front office are for whatever reason leaning towards moving on from Rivers at the end of this year and going with a younger quarterback (no idea why they would do this but let's throw it out there), then we either have to find Rivers' successor in the draft or through the trade market. We aren't in the conversation for Murray, Haskins or Lock, and the difference between Haskins/Lock and Rosen is not significant and you could rank them in any order. In all likelihood we won't be in a position to draft one of the top guys next year. So maybe doing a trade like this makes sense instead of going after someone like Daniel Jones or Will Grier late in the first or second round?

Personally I don't see us doing the trade, but if we do it, we are getting a talent young quarterback from the local area for the fans to get behind.

Comment

• SDFan
            Woober Goober
            • Jun 2013
            • Dolores, CO
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Mike View Post

Unless Rivers has given the nod that this could be his final year. If he's leaning towards one more try at a championship, then riding off into the sunset win or lose, then us being interested in Josh Rosen makes sense because he could be the successor to Rivers.

The other thing to remember here is that Rosen was a first round pick and as such we would then have the 5th year option. That gives us four seasons to work with before he needs a long term extension. If Rivers plays 2-3 years, that means Rosen will either be starting for this team in the 4th or 5th year of his rookie contract meaning we'll either get one or two seasons worth of evaluation before deciding whether to pen him to an extension.

Now you are right that signing Tyrod does give us a good backup. He's even a bridge quarterback for us if Rivers does call it a day a year from now. However, he is not the long term option for this team. He's a backup/stop gap starter. So if Rivers has given us the nod, or the front office are for whatever reason leaning towards moving on from Rivers at the end of this year and going with a younger quarterback (no idea why they would do this but let's throw it out there), then we either have to find Rivers' successor in the draft or through the trade market. We aren't in the conversation for Murray, Haskins or Lock, and the difference between Haskins/Lock and Rosen is not significant and you could rank them in any order. In all likelihood we won't be in a position to draft one of the top guys next year. So maybe doing a trade like this makes sense instead of going after someone like Daniel Jones or Will Grier late in the first or second round?

Personally I don't see us doing the trade, but if we do it, we are getting a talent young quarterback from the local area for the fans to get behind.
            Last I read, Rivers wants to play at least long enough to open the new stadium- so there's 2 years. This supposedly isn't a good year for drafting rookie QBs, so unlikely to draft 1 this year and I don't follow college football so don't know about QB prospects in 2020 draft. Another question is: who exactly is the QB guru currently on staff that can work with any young QB to get him ready to start? I didn't see any improvement in Geno or Cardale LOL. I could be wrong, but I just don't see this team carrying a 3rd QB and paying a ton of $ at the QB position for 2-4 years while Rivers is still getting it done. I could see them draft or find a guy to groom for 1 year if Rivers tells the FO he's ready to retire at some point, but it looks like that point is 2+ years away?

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              Would Taylor be part of the deal?
              Do you want Rosen in current form as the new starter this year if Rivers misses multiple games for any reason?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SDFan View Post

Do you want Rosen in current form as the new starter this year if Rivers misses multiple games for any reason?
                I don't know, probably not. I wasn't enamored with Rosen last year in the draft; I thought his footwork and release were lethargic.
                Bernie Kosar was like that. Rosen's strength will be in his head and accuracy if he makes it. Does he want to be a first rate QB?

Bad Olines and nonmobile rookie quarterbacks don't mix. Drew Brees was a disaster his 3rd year as a Charger

Comment

• Originally posted by SDFan View Post

Last I read, Rivers wants to play at least long enough to open the new stadium- so there's 2 years. This supposedly isn't a good year for drafting rookie QBs, so unlikely to draft 1 this year and I don't follow college football so don't know about QB prospects in 2020 draft. Another question is: who exactly is the QB guru currently on staff that can work with any young QB to get him ready to start? I didn't see any improvement in Geno or Cardale LOL. I could be wrong, but I just don't see this team carrying a 3rd QB and paying a ton of $ at the QB position for 2-4 years while Rivers is still getting it done. I could see them draft or find a guy to groom for 1 year if Rivers tells the FO he's ready to retire at some point, but it looks like that point is 2+ years away?
                  Unless Rivers wants it to be a retirement tour (i.e. Kobe Bryant announcing his retirement before his final season, or Dwayne Wade announcing his retirement prior to this NBA season), then in all likelihood it would be an internal conversation that anyone outside of the team building will never know about. In fact there's a good chance a lot of his teammates would never know its his final season unless he wants it to become common knowledge, though that does lead to potential leaks (intentional or accidental).

You are right that Rivers did say he wants to play in the new stadium, but it is possible that he has changed his mind. He's just had another kid and he's not getting any younger. Does he want to continue to put his body through the mill? Ok he loves the game and wants to win a championship, but sooner or later you have to make a decision whether you retire on your terms and relatively healthy, or you are forced to retire through injury/regression/team decision. Now I don't know what kind of person Rivers is. He might be the type of guy that will continue to play until he's dragged off the field like Brett Favre and Kurt Warner, but if he's the smart guy that we all know him to be, then getting out of this game while he's healthy and still at the top of his game might not be a huge surprise. I'd love to say our window is open for as long as he plays, but if I'm being frank, I think our best chances have been and gone. Rivers now has to contend with some legitimate competition to get out of this conference and to the Super Bowl, and in the other conference there are some very good teams as well. Maybe he thinks one last try and call it a day. Or maybe he wants to keep going until he's forced out of the game. Ultimately we'll never know his decision until it is officially announced, but a retirement after this year wouldn't surprise me.

I also wouldn't put much weight into the Geno and Cardale side of things. Geno Smith was never going to be a franchise quarterback, his first two seasons with the Jets showed that. His best chance at a long NFL career is as a backup. And Cardale Jones did get hype coming out of college because of the national championship, but he was that raw that he was never likely to become a franchise quarterback either. Arguably the reason Geno and Cardale were brought in here is because they both have ties to our head coach, Geno with the Jets and Cardale with the Bills. Had we hired Kyle Shanahan or Sean McVay, it is pretty likely neither quarterback would have ended up on our roster.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Rivers said he wants to play in the new stadium but does not want to play as long as Brady plans on so I'd take that to mean 2 or 3 seasons, max.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Dropping five spots to snag a 1st round QB warts and all is a steal. I would be all for waiting till Rivers is gone to bother with any of this, but jeepers. Not like we would even be in the mix for a top QB the next 3-5 years without trading away the farm.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                        Dropping five spots to snag a 1st round QB warts and all is a steal. I would be all for waiting till Rivers is gone to bother with any of this, but jeepers. Not like we would even be in the mix for a top QB the next 3-5 years without trading away the farm.
                        I couldn't fathom that the Card would trade a guy they spent such a high draft pick on to move up 5 spots in the draft. No way they make that trade.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I couldn't fathom that the Card would trade a guy they spent such a high draft pick on to move up 5 spots in the draft. No way they make that trade.
                          They wouldn't do it just to move up. They might do it to get an extra first rounder

Comment

Working...
                          X