• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I think Pip is just a raw prospect...hopefully, in time, learning the playbook and getting coached up in footwork and other fundamentals, he improves...
    What I saw was mostly a lack of timing & composure. When and if he gains confidence in himself & his techniques, he will improve. Getting over his stage fright will be his biggest hurdle.

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2017
        • Great White North
        • Draftnik
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

He did struggle and I think it was just unrealistic to think we'll get much out of him this year until he puts a lot of time in practice, film and the weight room.
        It is a good thing that the Charger organization and coaching staff said he is a project.
        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
        K9
        Nasir
        Tillery
        Parham
        Reed

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Vaughn Martin's name comes to mind. All types of physical talent, but never learned to use it. Scored a 38 on the wonderlic - so it wasn't a matter of not picking up things. Played at Western Ontario under Canadian league rules. First snap as a Charger he fell down at the feet of some guard.

I think a lot depends on Pipkens coaching at the collegiate level. The coaches there recognized early on that they had an NFL talent in Pipkens, so they might know a thing or two.

Right now, Pipkens is seeing players who are stronger, faster, & have much better technique than anyone he has ever faced. It will take time to adjust. He might never catch up - who knows?

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Not surprised by his play or the reaction here. He was drafted to mould into a LT based on traits and coach-ability. It is a light year jump in competition. I agree with their view that given the ncaa style of play it is tough to draft tackles, they all need a lot of work on technique etc. He is raw clay. He needs strength and some time to make into a useful piece.
            Last edited by Panamamike; 08-11-2019, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Vaughn Martin's name comes to mind. All types of physical talent, but never learned to use it. Scored a 38 on the wonderlic - so it wasn't a matter of not picking up things. Played at Western Ontario under Canadian league rules. First snap as a Charger he fell down at the feet of some guard.

I think a lot depends on Pipkens coaching at the collegiate level. The coaches there recognized early on that they had an NFL talent in Pipkens, so they might know a thing or two.

Right now, Pipkens is seeing players who are stronger, faster, & have much better technique than anyone he has ever faced. It will take time to adjust. He might never catch up - who knows?
              Lol. I remember my prior forum all lit up with excitement about the video that went viral of VM blowing up a 160 lb asst coach holding a blocking pad. Turns out thats not really that big of a deal
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

I remember Billy Shields falling over his feet at camp when he was a rookie. But the coaches went to work on him and turned him into a starting left tackle by his second year. I'm not saying the same will happen with Pipkin but it could.
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Let's take another look at that TD run by Stick:

Last edited by Topcat; 08-11-2019, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                    • Feb 2019
                    • McLean Illinois
                    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                    • Send PM

He is what we thought he was....a project. He wouldn't be facing some of this scrutiny if some on this forum held their collective breaths that he might be more...due to Okungs status...I agree brother. Needs some seasoning with his assignments, and cooking in the weight room another year...but his performance the rest of the preseason? Kind of a double edged sword...if he really dissappoints, we can stash him on the practice squad, low risk...but then he wasn't worth a third. If he improves, we can put him on the 53, but I would like to see a lot more before I have confidence in him as a solid backup. Without Okung, we are possibly an injury away from an oline that can be a real liability against a team with even a decent dline. Bottom line...there is cause for concern. Cross your fingers, folks.
                    The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

It is a good thing that the Charger organization and coaching staff said he is a project.
                      Yeah but thinking that project would have gone later than the 3rd round. This to me equates to Hester being drafted in the 3rd by AJ.
                      Just hope Pip has a big jump by his second season.

Comment

• Big Dog
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Pipkins has size, length, good feet and raw talent. He played with really lower level competition and TT said he was a developmental project ... not ready for prime time yet.

This is the worst case scenario for him, being pressed to play before he is ready ... and it's playing out exactly as we would have expected ... Pipkins needs to hit the weight room, put on bulk like Lamp and get lots of PS reps and build towards next pre-season (NOT this year).

just hoping his confidence isn't broken ...

As a 3rd rounder, so we have to keep him on the 53 man roster because he will not clear waivers. We just keep inactive and he gets practice reps on the scout team all year long. He could be ready by next year and definitely the year after.
                        Last edited by Big Dog; 08-11-2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
                          just hoping his confidence isn't broken ...
                          If his confidence is broken after one preseason game, he is too mentally fragile and will never succeed. Of course, I don't really believe that.

Comment

Working...
                          X