• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I generally like your takes, Bolty. But on this your eyes are deceiving you or your biases are getting the better of you. I saw TW make the clutch contested catches last season that MW was supposed to make. You really should re-watch the Cleveland game highlights. MW has had his moments, but TW made more highlight reel catches last year.
    I'm not biased. I like both guys, I just think MW is a better overall WR. Tyrells game is crossing patterns, nine routes, post routes. MW route tree is better imo and he fights for the ball much better.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

I generally like your takes, Bolty. But on this your eyes are deceiving you or your biases are getting the better of you. I saw TW make the clutch contested catches last season that MW was supposed to make. You really should re-watch the Cleveland game highlights. MW has had his moments, but TW made more highlight reel catches last year.
      The Cleveland and Titans game were his highlight games. You should rewatch MW's highlight reel from last year if you think TW had more moments.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Nicely said. I like Mike Williams, but was puzzled by him being picked. He is an outstanding WR when fighting for the ball, in contested catches, in tight coverage. My sense was in college he HAD to be great at that because he was always (or most always) really well covered. No matter who he was playing against. Separation is not his thing. Making unbelievable contested catches is.

TG
        I think Mike Williams is a solid #2 WR. But from what he has shown so far, he should have been drafted in second or third round. A number 7 overall pick, you expect that player to challenge Keenan Allen as the number one receiver. Mike Williams hasn't come close to that. But I'm glad we have him, and hope he bounces back from this injury quickly.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

I think Mike Williams is a solid #2 WR. But from what he has shown so far, he should have been drafted in second or third round. A number 7 overall pick, you expect that player to challenge Keenan Allen as the number one receiver. Mike Williams hasn't come close to that. But I'm glad we have him, and hope he bounces back from this injury quickly.
          MW offers different skill set than Keenan. It's more about 1a and 1b.

Comment

• OhioBolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Mike Williams is the better overall reciever Tyrell Williams.

Hands - MW
            Route running - equal neither one is great
            Jump ball -MW
            Speed- TW simple he can go deep or just take a short pass and go past defenders
            Quickness -neither one but slight Edge MW

The one distinct advantage for Tyrell Williams is availabiltiy, if Mike Williams can't stay healthy Tyrell will put up better numbers just on being able to play more games and appears to be the Raiders number 1 by default.

In hindsight a healthy Tyrell Williams with Keenan Allen looks a lot better than Keenan Allen, Benjamin and cast of others going into the Detroit game that's why this is even a discussion..

To add fuel to debate because Mike Williams being a 1st rounder and 7 overall when we had other needs like we still do today like offensive tackle. We seen growth in Tyrell and we see Mike Williams talent and we see him injured.

We love the BMW because it looks good and drives good, but if it is always in need of repair you start liking it a little less.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post

To add fuel to debate because Mike Williams being a 1st rounder and 7 overall when we had other needs like we still do today like offensive tackle.
              Trey Pipkins exists.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                We Are The Storm!
                • Aug 2018
                • Send PM

Not in the first round he didnt.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

MW offers different skill set than Keenan. It's more about 1a and 1b.
                  There's a big drop-off to Mike Williams from Keenan Allen. It's not even close. Keenan Allen is River's number one favorite target, and there's a reason for it. He's always open and he has great hands. There's a reason he gets more targets, catches more balls, and puts up a lot more yardage than Mike Williams. I like Mike Williams just fine. But when you draft a wide receiver at number 7 overall, you expect an elite talent such as Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, or AJ Green. Mike Williams is more like Kenny Golladay, who we will see tomorrow, and who the Lions drafted in the third round in the same draft as Mike Williams, and whose production is almost identical.

In my opinion, Mike Williams and Tyrell Williams are equal in level of talent. One thing Mike Williams does not have is Tyrell Williams' elite speed. And, as has been discussed, Tyrell has been an Iron Man, never missing a game. They invested a high first-round pick in Mike Williams and he is still on his rookie contract. So in choosing between Mike and Tyrell, they had to make the choice they did. I don't know if that choice makes the team better.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
                    Mike Williams is the better overall reciever Tyrell Williams.

Hands - MW
                    Route running - equal neither one is great
                    Jump ball -MW
                    Speed- TW simple he can go deep or just take a short pass and go past defenders
                    Quickness -neither one but slight Edge MW

The one distinct advantage for Tyrell Williams is availabiltiy, if Mike Williams can't stay healthy Tyrell will put up better numbers just on being able to play more games and appears to be the Raiders number 1 by default.

In hindsight a healthy Tyrell Williams with Keenan Allen looks a lot better than Keenan Allen, Benjamin and cast of others going into the Detroit game that's why this is even a discussion..

To add fuel to debate because Mike Williams being a 1st rounder and 7 overall when we had other needs like we still do today like offensive tackle. We seen growth in Tyrell and we see Mike Williams talent and we see him injured.

We love the BMW because it looks good and drives good, but if it is always in need of repair you start liking it a little less.
                    I think that was the most disappointing thing about TW in 2017. He had a chance to build on from m his 2016 season with KA healthy and MW injured for most of the season and did nothing with it. Needless to say it was a disappointing season for him in 2017. I'm glad that he bounced back in 2018 but he disappeared for a lot of games except for Cleveland and Teneesee.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

There's a big drop-off to Mike Williams from Keenan Allen. It's not even close. Keenan Allen is River's number one favorite target, and there's a reason for it. He's always open and he has great hands. There's a reason he gets more targets, catches more balls, and puts up a lot more yardage than Mike Williams. I like Mike Williams just fine. But when you draft a wide receiver at number 7 overall, you expect an elite talent such as Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, or AJ Green. Mike Williams is more like Kenny Golladay, who we will see tomorrow, and who the Lions drafted in the third round in the same draft as Mike Williams, and whose production is almost identical.

In my opinion, Mike Williams and Tyrell Williams are equal in level of talent. One thing Mike Williams does not have is Tyrell Williams' elite speed. And, as has been discussed, Tyrell has been an Iron Man, never missing a game. They invested a high first-round pick in Mike Williams and he is still on his rookie contract. So in choosing between Mike and Tyrell, they had to make the choice they did. I don't know if that choice makes the team better.
                      I guess when I think of elite speed, I think of Tyreek Hill. TW and MW are both similar long striders that can go deep. What differentiates MW from TW is that he's a red zone monster that can go up for the ball on a more consistent basis. Hence the big TD difference between the two. As for your comparison of Julio Jones, Hopkins, and AJ Green, this is essentially MW's second playing due to his injuries his rookie year. Both Jones and Hopkins did not really explode until their second season. And even if you want to say that last year still counts for MW, he did lead the team in TD receptions which is nothing to sneeze at.

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Not hard to predict since AB got run out of town. If AB still there, he isn't getting close to those numbers. Just like when Keenan went down and others, TW was our best option.
                        He is a good player but he isn't MW.

Just because TT doesn't draft your coveted players doesn't mean you should hate on the others. If we all did that, we wouldn't like but a few on this team lol.
                        continue to minimize my posts and to twist me into a hater.... I will continue to be remiss we didn't draft Star and Ramczyk and others.... if you don't enjoy/can't accomodate my vantage point.... ce la vie.
                        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

agree that the PR influence and his fondness for oversized receivers prolly has a lot to do w/who makes the 53 @wideout and our decision to prioritize a receiver in that draft, as yes Keenan was a huge ? and Tyrell might not have profiled as Phil's ideal receiving target, and.... that said, there is the added caveat, that even tho I mention Ryan Ramczyk's name here, truth be told I was also even up if not leaning toward drafting Malik McDowell, of which we all know how that turned out, so.... def no gimmes as an NFL GM here, and again....

that said, am not going to minimize the opportunity to draft someone like Chris Godwin in round three, and to focus on the lines, which is somewhat of a philosophical conundrum, as this FO has done the same thing before w/the signing of Travis Benjamin in lieu of RT Bobby Massie, and.... for that matter, and successfully so, we took Derwin ahead of Isaiah Wynn of late as well.

'tis not easy assembling an NFL roster and coaching staff, as obviously ours is headed in a positive direction atm, and.... think we all agree that it's too bad that we had to say good bye to a talented WR like Tyrell whom worked his way up from an UDFA to a very quality NFL wide receiver.... luckily for him, he got paid and as the Chargers had decided to go in another direction.

so far MW is not a missed pick, of which you really can't ask too much more of that from your GM, and.... there is the concern re: do we have a winning formula when it comes to draft day and in FA ?? are we undervaluing the lines, particular positions, overvaluing others, and/or not investing our draft capital as wisely as we could, let alone building draft capital in the form of extra picks ??

my personal opinion is that it is heresay to call MW substantially the better player than Tyrell.... statwise there is little difference and that is giving MW the benefit of the doubt.... the biggest differentials is that TW was an UDFA and MW a #7 overall, and a well documented injury concern on top of that, along w/many a pundit having none too minor a concern with his projection/slotting.... again my personal observation after him becoming a Charger and not being overly familiar w/him @Clemson, is that I soon became wary of his mindset after listening to him and watching as to how he responded to his situation, injury and otherwise.... on the other hand, have got to admire Tyrell's mindset, and dude simply went about his biz and got it done.... @least those were the reports on him from over the summer, some from word of mouth, and some from our local media.

how does Keenan Allen's mindset compare w/MW ?? for my money, I think Tyrell took his cue from others here, and where I am yet to be convinced of how dedicated MW is to his craft ??

and no problem airing things out here.... just sayin' that from my vantage point, there are a coupla few things clear as day.... MW has yet to produce as a #7 overall talent, Tyrell is a darn fine wideout and has production easily as good and better than MW, and MW has a hellah injury history that has yet to go the way of Keenan....
                          5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

Working...
                          X