• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Starting to agree with this line of thinking...next year will be a rebuilding year anyways, so might as well draft an OT early, and an OG in round 3-4 or so, maybe even take a flyer on a T at end of draft...
    So in other words,
    you looked at my mock draft v1.

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

So in other words,
      you looked at my mock draft v1.

Put it back up, there, Wood! Inquiring minds want to benefit from your tremendous gridiron wisdom...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Sb4Rivers View Post

Why?
        I think the Chargers then-genius coaching staff loaded up on large oversized lumbering OL players and decided the best scheme for them would be a fast moving lateral zone blocking scheme. Result was these large footed lumbering oversized OL players started tripping over each other. Fluker, blessed with his size 20+ feet, was particularly poorly suited for that lateral zone scheme.,

i think Pete lets him line up, power off the LOS and hit the guy in front of him more often. makes a world of difference.

and in fairness - Fluker wasn't bad at OG, he was better than any OG on our roster today. Charger brass still had that bitter taste of drafting an OT, not getting an OT - guess they couldn't get over it and had to remove the reminder from their field of vision.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

What is your prognosis for next year ?

The common theme is that Okung has clots,
          therefore he cannot be relied upon.

He IS managing things with meds.

Why on earth is he not considered the key part of an Oline rebuild ?
          They can and do dissolve blood clots. By now he is clear of them. It's the A-Fib that may lead him to retire.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

They can and do dissolve blood clots. By now he is clear of them. It's the A-Fib that may lead him to retire.
            This is no Chris Hairston situation.

Okung would have already retired.

I say Russell plays several more years,
            and anchors our 2020 Oline.

This is far different from the common narrative.

BTW who many Olinemen is a good Slot WR worth ?

How much does a defense that keeps a good lead help an Oline ?

There are other position groups.

We need to be well rounded.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Kingcrimson View Post

Not exactly. Look at the teams who made the playoffs/ won SB with an average of below average QB play. What do they have in common? Top tier run game, D'Andre Swift pls (+Andrew Whitworth in FA)

top tier defense, NT pls.... any and all of Danny Shelton, Sylvester Williams, Leki Fotu

clutch kicker.... have been a Badge fan since day one,
              RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

No thanks to Whitworth - he will be 38 next week and is playing like it.

Comment

• Kingcrimson
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                  We are a few changes away from being an elite defense (looking at you Bradley). I'm fine with Rivers sticking around for another year or two and going all out on the trenches this draft/FA, but with PR on the decline, a 60% rush / 40% pass would help.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Windsor, U.K.
                    • Send PM

A legitimate question for those with more knowledge on the situation than me: how many plays does PR change at the LOS? I know he spends a great deal of time gesticulating as he surveys the D but how often is he actually changing the play? Is he just calling out blocking assignments?
                    I'd say at least 50% of the plays are altered in some way- what say you?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                      A legitimate question for those with more knowledge on the situation than me: how many plays does PR change at the LOS? I know he spends a great deal of time gesticulating as he surveys the D but how often is he actually changing the play? Is he just calling out blocking assignments?
                      I'd say at least 50% of the plays are altered in some way- what say you?
                      I don't think he is changing the play a lot of the time. I think he is calling out protections and blocking assigmments. But you know when your OL is mediocre it don't always help.
                      11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia F/U Telesco
                      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                      100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                      140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                      181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                      225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Budsman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I don't think he is changing the play a lot of the time. I think he is calling out protections and blocking assigmments. But you know when your OL is horrendous at pass blocking it don't always help.
                        There I fixed it for you, you’re welcome.

Comment

• Charge!
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

right now Chargers are picking 9th according to a current mock draft I saw..... at least in top 10 area, we should get difference making player on OL/DL......

We will not draft high enough to draft a great franchise QB, until Rivers retires and Chargers lose out to get #1 pick.....

problem is if our defense gets better and running game gets better, we will never lose enough games......

If Burrow is the answer, we need to lose out..... we may lose out even trying hard to win.... we dominated KC and kept Hill from doing anything yet lost anyway....... we are a better team than DEN yet we lost twice...... we are better than raiders, yet they kicked our ass.....

our remaining schedule:

at JAX...... strong running game ands pass rush, plus bad weather back east, will mean game will be close and like rest of our games, any mistake will cause team to lose...

vs MIN........ our pass rush should make cousins look like bad cousins.... but MIN running game and defense will dominate Charegers as well..... and NFL needs MIN to win game to make its as WC.....

vs OAK...... will be a home game for raiders..... and raiders OL and DL should dominate our bad OL again and weak DT's/LBers

at KC...... KC is better team right now and will need that game to have playoff bye......and KC usually wins even if game is meaningless...Chargers will have stuff packed up for off season..... maybe resting guys like Rivers......

so a 4-12 or at best 5-11 record is most likely......that may put us in top 5 somewhere....

Current race for top pick:

1 - CIN - needs QB, but maybe the redhead wins a few games at end of season to drop out of the spot or change draft priorities?
                          2 - Giants - not likely to draft a QB high
                          3 - Wash- not likely to draft a QB high
                          4 - MIA- needs QB
                          5 - ATL- not likely to draft a QB high
                          6 - DET- not likely to draft a QB high
                          7 - ARIZ- not likely to draft a QB high
                          8 -JETS- not likely to draft a QB high
                          9 - Chargers - needs QB
                          10 - JAX- needs QB
                          11 - DEN- not likely to draft a QB high
                          12 - CAR -- not likely to draft a QB high
                          13 - PHI - not likely to draft a QB high
                          14 - TB - not likely to draft a QB high
                          15 - CLEV - not likely to draft a QB high

Odds are Burrow will go to CIN or a team that can trade up top that spot. Biggest problem is MIA desperately needs a real QB and has more ammo/high picks to trade up with.

Comment

Working...
                          X