Telesco Needs To Be Relieved Of Duties..

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post

Telesco has been avg at best. AJ was not much better. Again, he got a boost form the Eli trade but after that the team went seriously downhill from 2009 on where his best record was 9-7. 7-9 in his last year. He also had part in canning one of our best coaches ever after a 14-2 season. You can lay part of that at the feet of the Spanii . Who does that?

And he made some awful picks even in the 1st rnd. Antoine Cason, Larry English, Craig (Buster lol) Davis, Ryan Mathews all busts . I get pissed even writing about him He should have been gone years earlier.
    Not to mention passing on Randal Cobb for some flunky player that never made the roster. Talk about hubris. I was on the cmb board during draft time...Take Cobb Take cobb...I then had that WTF moment after the chargers made their pick.
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Ontario , Canada
      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Not to mention passing on Randal Cobb for some flunky player that never made the roster. Talk about hubris. I was on the cmb board during draft time...Take Cobb Take cobb...I then had that WTF moment after the chargers made their pick.
      Yes. Jonas Mouton. Was going to mention him too. He went at 61 in the 2nd rnd. Most boards had him projected to go in the 5th round. Everyone was going wtf.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post

Yes. Jonas Mouton. Was going to mention him too. He went at 61 in the 2nd rnd. Most boards had him projected to go in the 5th round. Everyone was going wtf.
        Mouton punched a player on the field at Michigan. AJ Smith probably gushed about that in the film room......Chargers had to get tougher rant.

Problem with that draft was everyone else pretty much flopped.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Tom Telesco must go. His weaknesses as a GM are growing. It gets worse as the team goes on with him.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2021
            • Send PM

This team will always struggle with Baby Spanos running the damn show. You hire a GM and coaches to do a job. Sit back, STFU and let them do their job without Baby Spanos’s silver spoon fed food hole vomiting his useless opinions.

I would honestly like to see what Tolesco and coaches could do during the offseason with free agency and draft without Baby Spanos cackling in their ears.

Comment

• Classic
              Hall Of Fame
              • Dec 2014
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
              This team will always struggle with Baby Spanos running the damn show. You hire a GM and coaches to do a job. Sit back, STFU and let them do their job without Baby Spanos’s silver spoon fed food hole vomiting his useless opinions.

I would honestly like to see what Tolesco and coaches could do during the offseason with free agency and draft without Baby Spanos cackling in their ears.
              Sorry but that is B.S John Spanos may be Tom's boss but it there isn't any reason to believe he's micromanaging the General Manger. Even if that were the case, why doesn't Tom say something or relieve himself of a obviously undermined job.

All that said if we fail to make the Playoffs, Tom or Joe Lombardi need to be relieved of their duties.

Comment

• PhilaBoltster
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Telesco is not going anywhere for at least 5 years. Drafting Herbert alone has bought him that much time. Add in the Staley hiring which has been universally applauded, plus other high profile great draft picks like Slater, James, Bosa, and Allen. And ownership has been very patient with GMs in the past 30 years.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by PhilaBoltster View Post
                  Telesco is not going anywhere for at least 5 years. Drafting Herbert alone has bought him that much time. Add in the Staley hiring which has been universally applauded, plus other high profile great draft picks like Slater, James, Bosa, and Allen. And ownership has been very patient with GMs in the past 30 years.
                  Staley, Herbert, Slater added in the past 2 years - I find it hard to believe they move on from a GM that did that. This doesn't mean TT has been perfect: he needs to fill some big holes still. TT did say after the draft it would take at least another season to complete the offensive line overhaul - clearly we have more work to do on the right side and with depth.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Staley, Herbert, Slater added in the past 2 years - I find it hard to believe they move on from a GM that did that. This doesn't mean TT has been perfect: he needs to fill some big holes still. TT did say after the draft it would take at least another season to complete the offensive line overhaul - clearly we have more work to do on the right side and with depth.
                    He should have been fired last offseason. His record speaks for itself

He has had NINE years to build a team. But if he is on the job this next offseason - ZERO excuses

Herbert going into year 3 - Bosa, Allen, Ekeler, Linsley, Slater, Feiler, Davis, all signed for multiple years; James technically for one more year
                    Oodles of cap space to maximize in free agency and bring back key players on this years roster
                    extra draft capital - at last check, an extra fourth rounder and the three extra 7th rounders

Personally, I go back to the year the Broncos had a core group in place but brought in Talib, TJ Ward and Ware. Not sure if that was the year they had Manning. But a young core signed, the QB and plenty of cap space to really hit free agency hard and strategically.

Just waiting for him to sign a bunch of 30 year olds for value and draft some sammie small schools and more TE/WR types.
                    Last edited by Bolt4Knob; 11-17-2021, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• I am not sure of my recall but this goes back to the Buffalo Bills/Marv Levy and Bill Polian with whom Telesco was mentored. As I recall Levy and Polian spoke a lot about putting together "high character guys" which I hope you all recall. Basically guys who are not trouble makers or seemingly nuts. Nice guys I guess you could say.

Thats why when players like Cam Newton, or Odell Beckam or a host of others came available, we all knew the Chargers would have no interest. I suppose I mostly agree with that, its not my point.

But I also remember the Marty years....where he put together these really tough guys. I remember one linebacker who was a stud getting into some kind of shooting event in the middle of the night...I don't think he was so concerned with having a bunch of church goers so to speak, as long as they could smash somebody.

I can't find the quote but I am pretty sure Bear Bryant said something like "give me your rapists and criminals from the prisons and I will build you a national championship team"..but like I said I recall it but cannot find the quote.

Sometimes I wonder...if thats why we don't have some really kickass defensive players....And seem to be a bit softer.

Teams that IMO go for bad dudes...Ravens and Steelers. I could be wrong on that...but always have tough defenses. Wasn't Ray Lewis involved in some "bad stuff" so to speak..:>)

Just to be clear...I am good with the high character guys....but just something for discussion.

I know this is kind of a ramble...but in the context of this thread. Does Telescos philosophy on players help the bolts or hurt them.
                      Last edited by Guest; 11-17-2021, 08:45 AM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Hupperdoo View Post
                        I am not sure of my recall but this goes back to the Buffalo Bills/Marv Levy and Bill Polian with whom Telesco was mentored. As I recall Levy and Polian spoke a lot about putting together "high character guys" which I hope you all recall. Basically guys who are not trouble makers or seemingly nuts. Nice guys I guess you could say.

Thats why when players like Cam Newton, or Odell Beckam or a host of others came available, we all knew the Chargers would have no interest. I suppose I mostly agree with that, its not my point.

But I also remember the Marty years....where he put together these really tough guys. I remember one linebacker who was a stud getting into some kind of shooting event in the middle of the night...I don't think he was so concerned with having a bunch of church goers so to speak, as long as they could smash somebody.

I can't find the quote but I am pretty sure Bear Bryant said something like "give me your rapists and criminals from the prisons and I will build you a national championship team"..but like I said I recall it but cannot find the quote.

Sometimes I wonder...if thats why we don't have some really kickass defensive players....And seem to be a bit softer.

Teams that IMO go for bad dudes...Ravens and Steelers. I could be wrong on that...but always have tough defenses.

Just to be clear...I am good with the high character guys....but just something for discussion.
                        The player was Steve Foley - who got shot

And to your point about Cam and OBJ - I made the same point last week. And I was fine not signing OBJ - but if they had, I would have been pleased as it meant they are trying

Too often, I just think Telesco is both conservative and stubborn. The mantra of TElesco is protecting and valuing draft picks but when you trade away, well I think its 4 either in the 3rd or 4th round plus make picks like Mager and Pipkins and have some flat out busts like PErry, Tuerk and Watt - you might want to change your philosophy as its not working!

Comment

• foreigner
                          Tom Telesco is gone
                          • Sep 2013
                          • Send PM

We are a soft team Hupperdoo.... with a soft owner and a soft GM...... I don't mind being well behaved and church goers... I do mind when we have a soft attitude tho....

Can you spot the difference between these two personalities: Tom Telesco and Marty S.? Both well behaved and probably Church Goers.. but oh boy what a different attitude they project....

Comment

Working...
                          X