• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

So in a chump move the Raiders are benching Carr. If he gets hurt the last two games his salary for 2023 is guaranteed. So they are benching the franchise leading passer with the team still slightly alive for the playoffs. I like Carr and think he gives his all. He is a good but not elite QB who stood by the Raiders through a lot of crap. I hope veteran free agents take note of how the Raiders handle this.
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
      Stidhamszn.
      So cryptic. Used Carr lot.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
        So in a chump move the Raiders are benching Carr. If he gets hurt the last two games his salary for 2023 is guaranteed. So they are benching the franchise leading passer with the team still slightly alive for the playoffs. I like Carr and think he gives his all. He is a good but not elite QB who stood by the Raiders through a lot of crap. I hope veteran free agents take note of how the Raiders handle this.
        I don't think he's totally washed, and will probably compete for a starting job somewhere. Honestly, I wouldn't mind him as a backup QB for the Chargers, if he hits free agency, but I think he'll be asking for starter money. If Raider stank is a problem, then its a no-go.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
          Stidhamszn.
          Gesundheit!

Comment

• C'monchargers
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

He wasnt a former SB winning head coach. He was a DC that had recently failed as HC. Nowadays they don’t even have to give anything to snatch a DC from another team’s staff. The Gruden comparison is most likely closer to NO expectations, if I’m guessing.
            There is plenty to debate here. First of all, Bill Belichick was in line to be the headcoach of the New York Jets prior to be traded. He was set to become the headcoach as Bill Parcell retire from coaching for the first time. On top of that, Belichick was promise full control of the team and felt he was not getting what he was promise thus resign to coach the Patriots. It was through litigation that produce the terms in the archived letter that the Jets would be compensated the 1st rounder plus the swap picks. Therefore, he wasn't just merely a DC as the context you have put in. He is a known commodity within the coaching circle since his days as a DC for the Giants which including 2 superbowl rings. His scheme and coaching during the super bowl against the bills which they've won is still a teacable moment and he was/is still highly regarded. Then he took over a Browns team that had a wild run during the 85-89 seasons and had stunk before he took over. It was a team on the decline in the first place. He then became the Jets "head coach" for 6 days during the Parcell hiring saga. then assume the DC there for a few years which over see a very very competitive Jets defense. Belichick has his own reputation and pedigree that warrant the attention he had gotten. Speaking of Bill Parcell imo his whole Jets hiring situation is an odd one and perhaps can some what touch on Sean Payton's situation. Given I have no idea what his contract is of course.

Back in 1997, Parcell wanted out of Patriots before the championship game even started, he then took a "consultant job" with the jets after the season while still under contract with the patriots. Belichick was then hired as the headcoach and Parcell would take over in a year as his contract ran out. Sort of like a shadow coach and let Belichick run the show up front since Parcell's contract state he was under contract that allows him to "coach" the patriots only in 1998 and nobody else. Patriots then made a complaint against the league and Jets for tempering and they came together to agree on a deal that would sent picks to the patriots which including a 1st rounder in 1999. Makes one wonder if that's something that still relevant to Payton's contract and one can explore that kind of option. Afterall a deal through litigation in given situation should benefit the the team getting Payton because he is not even coaching and doesn't have much bargain of chips other then having him under contract.

Speaking of full control, Mike Holgrem was traded to the seattle seahawks right after the super bowl year with Brett Favre for merely a second round pick. That's a superbowl win, not appearance. But he demanded and gotten full control of the team. That is exaclty what Payton is demanding; that is a turn off for teams therefore very well can drive the asking price down since it has added risk factor involve. You have mention the Gruden trade and it had been mention here before and I rather not beat that dead horse, somebody else can do that. Worthnoting is that he never ask for full control of the team and Rich McKay was running the operation front. I understand by just plug and play, matching the situation, it seems logical but it is quite a different scenario.

I agree the bar had been set higher with that oddity of a trade with gruden but its under quite different circumstances if you break it down into its parts. Aslo, Gruden stock was sky high after that superbowl appearence season; unlike Sean Payton that had been out of football for a year-out of sight out of mind-and his team was not particularly dominating before he retired. Threrefore, I would assume one would naturally not as enthusiastic about it versus the Gruden situation. Still up there but I doubt it would be 2 1st rounder and 2 second rounder, plus cash, or even close.

Fun Facts: Bill Belichick's dad Steve Belichick authored the book title "Football Scouting Mehtod", which was consider a pioneering concept in it's time. He and Ernie Adams was roomate in college and stroke up a friendship through their interest of the book. And Ernie Now is the infamous stat man for the patriots which he took on after his days on wall street.

All said, I must ask, you guys really see the Chargers hiring Payton at this point?

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Well there you go. There's your reason. There's no way Jarrett Stidham is going to play better than Carr.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

The Raiders and Broncos are both in disarray

Comment

• Riverwalk
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by C'monchargers View Post

There is plenty to debate here. First of all, Bill Belichick was in line to be the headcoach of the New York Jets prior to be traded. He was set to become the headcoach as Bill Parcell retire from coaching for the first time. On top of that, Belichick was promise full control of the team and felt he was not getting what he was promise thus resign to coach the Patriots. It was through litigation that produce the terms in the archived letter that the Jets would be compensated the 1st rounder plus the swap picks. Therefore, he wasn't just merely a DC as the context you have put in. He is a known commodity within the coaching circle since his days as a DC for the Giants which including 2 superbowl rings. His scheme and coaching during the super bowl against the bills which they've won is still a teacable moment and he was/is still highly regarded. Then he took over a Browns team that had a wild run during the 85-89 seasons and had stunk before he took over. It was a team on the decline in the first place. He then became the Jets "head coach" for 6 days during the Parcell hiring saga. then assume the DC there for a few years which over see a very very competitive Jets defense. Belichick has his own reputation and pedigree that warrant the attention he had gotten. Speaking of Bill Parcell imo his whole Jets hiring situation is an odd one and perhaps can some what touch on Sean Payton's situation. Given I have no idea what his contract is of course.

Back in 1997, Parcell wanted out of Patriots before the championship game even started, he then took a "consultant job" with the jets after the season while still under contract with the patriots. Belichick was then hired as the headcoach and Parcell would take over in a year as his contract ran out. Sort of like a shadow coach and let Belichick run the show up front since Parcell's contract state he was under contract that allows him to "coach" the patriots only in 1998 and nobody else. Patriots then made a complaint against the league and Jets for tempering and they came together to agree on a deal that would sent picks to the patriots which including a 1st rounder in 1999. Makes one wonder if that's something that still relevant to Payton's contract and one can explore that kind of option. Afterall a deal through litigation in given situation should benefit the the team getting Payton because he is not even coaching and doesn't have much bargain of chips other then having him under contract.

Speaking of full control, Mike Holgrem was traded to the seattle seahawks right after the super bowl year with Brett Favre for merely a second round pick. That's a superbowl win, not appearance. But he demanded and gotten full control of the team. That is exaclty what Payton is demanding; that is a turn off for teams therefore very well can drive the asking price down since it has added risk factor involve. You have mention the Gruden trade and it had been mention here before and I rather not beat that dead horse, somebody else can do that. Worthnoting is that he never ask for full control of the team and Rich McKay was running the operation front. I understand by just plug and play, matching the situation, it seems logical but it is quite a different scenario.

I agree the bar had been set higher with that oddity of a trade with gruden but its under quite different circumstances if you break it down into its parts. Aslo, Gruden stock was sky high after that superbowl appearence season; unlike Sean Payton that had been out of football for a year-out of sight out of mind-and his team was not particularly dominating before he retired. Threrefore, I would assume one would naturally not as enthusiastic about it versus the Gruden situation. Still up there but I doubt it would be 2 1st rounder and 2 second rounder, plus cash, or even close.

Fun Facts: Bill Belichick's dad Steve Belichick authored the book title "Football Scouting Mehtod", which was consider a pioneering concept in it's time. He and Ernie Adams was roomate in college and stroke up a friendship through their interest of the book. And Ernie Now is the infamous stat man for the patriots which he took on after his days on wall street.

All said, I must ask, you guys really see the Chargers hiring Payton at this point?
                  Never saw the Chargers hiring Payton even at the season low. It’s not in Spanos DNA or checkbook.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

The Raiders and Broncos are both in disarray
                    They can fight over Payton. Chargers don’t need him. Although he’s probably smart enough to avoid both franchises.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by C'monchargers View Post

Great info, thx.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Sean Payton would be the "perfect Chargers head coach"
                        as in the old Chargers that have a bunch of regular season wins, and have weird, uncanny bad luck in the playoffs.
                        outside of the 1 superbowl win with a prime Drew Brees, that Saints era is exactly what we are trying to change about this damn franchise, coincidently, we already have a head coach who is changing that very phenomenon we call, "Chargering"

Color me not impressed with Sean Payton and imo would be the ultimate whore move, especially now that we're building something better.
                        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                          Beef Before Gazelles
                          • May 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

I don't think he's totally washed, and will probably compete for a starting job somewhere. Honestly, I wouldn't mind him as a backup QB for the Chargers, if he hits free agency, but I think he'll be asking for starter money. If Raider stank is a problem, then its a no-go.
                          Can't see Derek Carr signing to be a backup pretty much ANYwhere. He's better than half the QBs in the NFL

Comment

Working...
                          X